Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 5th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/05/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-5th-may/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (182)

• Nick says:

Virgin Atlantic have just announced that thet plan to cut 3,150 jobs and would move it’s flying programme from LGW to LHR.

• TGLoyalty says:

Have to say thats a real blow for LGW

I think they will focus on Heathrow and Manchester (all the 747’s are going to be up there from today)

• BlueHorizonuk says:

Virgin Atlantic will immediately retire its last seven remaining Boeing 747 aircraft.

• TGLoyalty says:

They may well be being scraped but I read yesterday 4 were already in Man, one was going up from Heathrow and another seemed to be in Scotland and was making its way down.

Where they all go from Man I have no idea

• Nick says:

Sorry, missed earlier post. 🙂

• Secret Squirrel says:

Virgin flying club line closed until 5pm today. After reading the news I’m not sure I want to call up today after 5pm. 😮

• mark2 says:

Any news on the redundancy terms? Presumably excellent?

• Mike says:

Yep each employee gets a bit of a knackered 747.

Seriously – Virgin’s cash situation is “running on fumes”, I can’t see there being anything more than the statutory minimum. Unlike BA who have the cash but are just doing the same because they hate all their staff.

• Harry T says:

So who is buying Avios with the 75% bonus offer? Anyone holding out for a better offer or have a compelling reason not to buy them?

Rob seems to think Avios won’t be getting devalued soon, and that seems to have validity.

• marcw says:

Problem is, flight tickets will be dirty cheap (very likely). So unless you have actual options to spend Avios (you know, earn and burn) then do it. But if not… stay away (unless you always want to have some Avios).

• Harry T says:

Why’s that, J?

• Paul Pogba says:

The oil price has dropped 50%, that’d help air line tickets get cheaper on its own. Plus being able to screw your staff into accepting lower wages, operating more fuel efficient aircraft and possibly more favourable terms at under capacity airports.

• Baji Nahid says:

Im not gonna risk it, the times are tough and you just don’t know what BA could do with avios.

• Nick_C says:

I honestly cannot envisage travelling abroad for a holiday before 2022, so I shan’t be buying any Avios.

It would be nice if BA and Avios are still around in 2022, but its secondary to hoping that I will still be around!

• Chris says:

Have Marriott extended the points expiry? My award wallet app has sent a message saying they are due to expire in a couple of months. I don’t stay with them that often as they have very few properties in the places I visit with work up here in Scotland but there are enough of them to encourage me to keep hold of them. Also do buying points from Marriott still extend the date? Thanks

• Nick says:

A bit of a long read, but an interesting piece in the Washington Post a few days ago about virus spread on airplanes and the science behind some possible answers. Again, sorry if it’s been posted elsewhere. I know Rob did an article recently, but not specifically related to this I believe….

• Matthew says:

Just had confirmation today BA have repaid the last of 4 cancelled flights. Rather than waste time on the phone, I sent a letter giving them 21 days to pay or face legal action to their legal department. They passed it on to customer services who have done the right thing. All in under 21 days. I can now look to book future travel. I’d have tyaken vouchers if they had been enhanced, rathe rthan an interest free loan as they currently are.
    Having terrible trouble with Lufthansa getting a refund, will ever use them again.
    Hope Virgin pull through, not good for Gatwick, but then again it is a terrible airport, apart from security who are far better than at LHR.

• Mike says:

In happier news – BA’s ‘pay for wine with Avios’ is open for business again!

• GvM says:

For people who got refunds from BA, was the refund processed for the entire booking at the same time?
    I called BA about 2 weeks ago to get a refund on our avios booking and got a refund on my CC 2 days later for our infant ticket, but still nothing for my wife and I..
    Just wondering if other people have had that as well and need to wait the full 3 weeks which was quoted by the CS rep, or if I need to chase BA again..