The new HFP chat thread – Thursday 7th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/07/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-thursday-7th-may/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Get a 100% bonus when you buy IHG Rewards Club hotel points - limit raised to 500,000 points!
Is it worth spending Avios points on wine and champagne?

Comments

1. Amex Travel Refund:
    Has anyone had (recent) experience with how long it takes for a refund to appear back to the card account? – I had my Easter flights cancelled by the airline, and I’d booked them with a car through Amex travel. They were very helpful on the phone and I received confirmation through email that I would receive a full refund, but that it may take up to 12 weeks.
    This was 6 weeks ago, and was just wondering if anyone had any datapoints on their experiences?
    Recognize that everything is a complete CF right now, but slightly disappointed it’ll take 3 months to get the money back.

• Paul says:

Cancelled 2 hotel bookings via Amex Travel last Thursday. Received the cancellation emails right away, credit invoices arrived the following day and refunds back on my card today.

• Toby says:

I had a flight cancelled at the start of March. Still waiting for the refund. They say they’re waiting for the airline 🧐

Upsetting too they’ve outright refused a chargeback!

• Interesting – thanks for the replies. Looks to me like they maybe pay the hotels only after the stay then but airlines when they are ticketed.

Interestingly buying the car and flight together seems to have made it a ‘package holiday’ as I got an ATOL certificate from them too, which to me implies they have to refund the money in 2 weeks by law? Of course, that seems like an unrealistic expectation right now, but 12 weeks is pushing it. Fingers’ crossed.

In other news, got an email from columbus saying they’re all ready to take payment automatically for another year’s travel insurance. The price seems to have gone up for me and there’s a big disclaimer saying nothing COVID-related is covered. Sounds like an expensive chocolate teapot. I’m annoyed I have to put effort in on my part to call them and cancel! I emailed but no reply. I’m not spending ages on hold so will be asking Amex to charge back if they do take it and I can’t get through! Rant over…

2. Optimus Prime says:

Data point about cancellations: CFU-LHR on 28th June cancelled by BA on 4th May.

• Optimus Prime says:

And just received another email cancelling LHR-CFU on 20th June (yeah, inbound got cancelled 3 days before outbound).

3. Jessiefan says:

Had a shocking experience with AMEX Platinum – Flybe flight claimed for in Feb and no refund received and they have closed my claim. AMEX can’t answer why they’ve done that and I’ve had to reopen my claim. Totally fed up with them and will be closing my Plat asap

4. memesweeper says:

General credit card question: A friend has been charged interest when paying off the interest bearing part of a credit card, but leaving the interest free bit in place. I’m fairly sure there’s a regulation that states lenders must apply credits in the most favourable way to borrowers, does anyone here know the source? I’ve been asked to draft a complaint.

• Lady London says:

MSE would be the best source on this. A squizz at the terms and conds of the account might be useful in case it’s contractual practice and not governed by statute. MSE will say if it’s statute or not. Gotta feeling they have warned against spending on cards till any balance transfer is paid off, perhaps due to this kind of reason.

• memesweeper says:

My eyeballs hurt after more than 60 seconds on MSE… I might have to take the pain for this query though!

I’ve checked the T&Cs and they are contradictory about the interest free period and the way they apply credits to balances. So definitely worthy of complaint.

• Dezbez says:

Definitely the case now that repayments have to be applied against the buckets with the highest interest first. It’s complex though, as there are so many variables. I can’t recall the legislation; I think it’ll be either CCA or CONC.

• Anna says:

I got stung last year when I made purchases on my Lloyd’s card when I also had a balance transfer on it. They do clear the highest rate element first BUT you are charged interest from the day you make any purchase. I think it’s an absolute swizz and not really made clear enough but Lloyd’s didn’t agree so I had to pay them £12 for my error 😡

5. If I have only had the business plat cancelled recently and want to take advantage of the extended sign up bonuses can I take out the personal Gold card and the BAPP and get the bonuses?

Thanks

6. Ghosty says:

Can you book a reward flight for a group (5) with some in a different cabin due to availability on the same ticket

• memesweeper says:

You can’t online.

My only experience of calling up and asking was a ‘no’ – I just don’t think a PNR can have tickets in different classes within it.

We ended up with three in business and two in first as a result, and had to swap seats (with the consent of the cabin crew) to sort out the mess 🙂

7. baecgc says:

I’ve had two separate bookings cancelled by CX for avios booking made for flights on CX and BA have “selected news flights for me”. I know I have to call to cancel and get the refund, but if I cannot get through if I never accept the new flights surely they’ll just refund me?

Booking is end of May, so I just wait until 72hours out?

8. Kian says:

Does anyone have any experience when redeeming with virgin using some of your own miles and some of your partner’s miles? I’m sure I’ve seen DP in the comments on hfp in the past that the assistant allowing this when both of the two accounts had enough to cover one way of a return journey, but I can’t recall the details..

• Dezbez says:

There’s definitely flexibility with them to use either pot – I think you need to have exact/divisible amounts though eg if cost is 25k each way per person (so 100k in total), you have to split it either 50:50, 25:75, 75:25, etc. You couldn’t split it 67:33 for example.
      Not entirely sure of position with companion voucher – I think the person whose voucher it is has to use their points

• Kian says:

Thank you! By any chance, do you know what if I’m only redeeming a return flight for myself, but I’d like to use both my partner’s and my miles? Would they still be flexible in this case?

9. Manny_D says:

Has anyone had any experience upgrading from the Amex Green card to the Platinum? I am thinking about it in the future, and just wondered how difficult it is?

• memesweeper says:

If you have the ‘magic link’ it’s very easy.

Last time I did it I used this: https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/upgrade/platinum-charge/index.html

• Manny_D says:

Amazing thank you! I will take a look in to that. Do you know whether it is a simple upgrade/product change or would a new credit check be involved?

• memesweeper says:

I don’t know if I was checked, I don’t think so, but their systems might check some applicants but not others, so if I wasn’t checked it’s not an indicator to rely on.

• Harry T says:

It’s easy peasy. My girlfriend did it a couple of months ago. I did it last year prior to the spend for the upgrade bonus being increased. We just used the link – I didn’t get a spend counter but she did. Both of us got the bonus.

Unsure if they credit check you. They have the right to do so but may not in this instance. I think Amex care far more about your history with them than your credit “score” anyway. If you have another card, you are usually accepted.

10. Smiles says:

Interesting article from the head of the IATA saying flight prices will increase by 50% after Covid 19

• Clickbait. *If Social Distancing is enacted*. It seems pretty logical if 1/3 of your cabin is blocked off.

Anyway. That’s all in the bin.

• Helmut Schmidt says:

these generalisations and false-dawns do not help anyone.
      so often misleading and wrong, only time will tell. many factors will affect the price of a ticket.

• Chrisasaurus says:

If we can’t agree that we should pay the appropriate ticket price to enable the flights to happen at all, we will be in trouble…

I hope, of course, that prices are low. But not at the expense of people losing money, that’s no way to do business with anyone whether b2b or b2c.

I’ll pay whatever it costs to fly once we have a scenario where doing so is both safe and desirable. And I’ll be greatful that there is anyone there to fly me!

11. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52569364 “Coronavirus PPE: Gowns ordered from Turkey fail to meet safety standards”

Perhaps they can be recycled into a pair of BA “First Class” PJs and slippers?

• Helmut Schmidt says:

only yesterday my wife showed me that you can use the eyemask to protect the lower parts of your face with a nice fit. i do not know the exact particle size to the nm that these would block out but they are more useful for this purpose. i have about 60 of these things. glad they are finally getting some use.