The new HFP chat thread – Friday 8th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/08/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-friday-8th-may/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

How to use Air Canada's Maple Leaf Club for Star Alliance lounge access at Heathrow
American Airlines and British Airways forced to surrender London to USA slots by Competition & Markets Authority

Double Rewards
AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Baji Nahid says:

Hi folks, i read on wednesdays chat thread that the RFS £100 deal opened up to other destinations now apart from NYC, but I cannot see this on the BA website when I try to book, tried many destinations for a lot of dates but none are coming to £100 like NYC is. Interesting whether someone just mislead folk on here or if they have actually loaded more destinations.

• The former, hence I deleted the comment.

• Baji Nahid says:

thanks very much Rob! I was confused about this for a while! Heres hoping we could see more destinations pop up under this!

• davvero says:

The BA website says:
      *Reward Flight Saver option only available between LHR-JFK-LHR, only in economy (World Traveller), and only available to UK Executive Club Members

I believe the plan is to expand it initially to other North American destinations and then maybe others such as Dubai but that’s not happened yet

• Baji Nahid says:

Perfect! I can see destinations like LAX,SFO,LAS,NYC,YYZ,MIA etc etc being added! Hopefully they add a few eastern destinations too!

2. Baji Nahid says:

Also a bit OT: But anyone here use Virgin Red? They are going to revamp soon and asked folk for feedback, I felt that the app needs to be a bit more exclusive for virgin customers such as those who are with virgin media,atlantic,gyms etc than just having the app open to anyone and everyone which reduces the exclusivity for loyal virgin customers. Would like to hear opinions on this.

• Secret Squirrel says:

They could try giving away some points for unlocking their vaults and not just get a chance to win some points.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Rob / Rhys,
        Will you be launching an app in your updates?
        I’ve seen another site offering an ad free version for a paid sub!

• Rhys says:

No plan for an app. And yeah, saw Simple Flying do that this week. Interesting to know if that works for them.

• Andrew says:

There must have been a good number of users who only had a VTEC or VTWC connection to Virgin Red.

Lose the franchise, should you get rid of the marketing cohort?

3. Any chance of an improved sign up bonus for virgin rewards plus cc?

• Rhys says:

Not at the moment, and I doubt there will be until things start to normalise at the earliest

4. Andrew says:

Laithwaites 10% funds return is back again on First Direct Visa Offers. It’s probably on HSBC offers too.

5. Darren says:

Just you

• Darren says:

Looks like I replied to a deleted post…..

• davvero says:

Can’t see why it was deleted. I know they’re a bit touchy with rocking the boat with old Beardie but what’s wrong with discussing bagpipes. I thought this was a general chat channel?

• Michael says:

General chat is one thing, it’s not the place to come on and spout random non-sequiturs. It is a travel and points website.

Some people need to count to ten before hitting the post comment button.

• davvero says:

Have you actually read the article attached to this? It clearly states general chat is allowed – so we don’t need anyone dictating what others can speak about!

“The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, **anything else on your mind**. At this tricky time, and given that many of you are stuck at home self-isolating, we want the HFP community to have a place to chat.”

This site has always had off topic posts which adds to the personality of the site.

I was wondering if anyone else finds the sound of bagpipes irritating, it was on my mind at the time because it was on the news. Therefore I think it fits under “anything else on your mind”

• Chrish says:

Micheal, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

• To be fair, I had 2nd thoughts about the bagpipes after I’d done it. Sorry!

• Also to be fair it probably made some people smile. Bagpipes seem to be like marmite and anchovies, people tend to either love them or hate them. A little like BA and Virgin Atlantic it seems from some of the comments here over the last few days.

• Brian W says:

I don’t have a problem with bagpipes generally no @ davvero. As you point out though, this daily thread is for posters to discuss **anything else on your mind**. I’ve read your posts today with great interest and titter. Your endeavour to get your point across and impress is admirable to say the least, albeit perhaps, beginners bravado. Either way, keep reading HFP and I have no doubt you will learn, maybe not about bagpipes, but you will learn.

• Secret Squirrel says:

He certainly has a way for a beginner of throwing mud at the people who run this site, maybe he should just visit another blog!

6. davvero says:

I’ve not checked my BA Amex offers for a while and I found one that’s interesting. Spend £24 get £12 back at Beer54

• Dezbez says:

yeah, you should be able to pick up a case for £24 with free del, so a decent deal.

7. Lockdown Larry says:

“ UK airlines say they have been told the government will bring in a 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving in the UK from any country apart from the Republic of Ireland in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
    The new restriction is expected to take effect at the end of this month.
    Industry body Airlines UK said the policy needed “a credible exit plan” and should be reviewed weekly.
    People arriving in the UK would have to self-isolate at a private residence.”

Sounds like a waste of time. I’d imagine most people will ignore this as there no way of enforcing it.

• Spaghetti Town says:

That trip report that got posted a couple of days ago. The chap that flew into Australia. Australia mandated it and took them into a hotel.

• Callum says:

There absolutely is a way to enforce this – regular spot checks with heavy fines for residents and/or deportation for visitors.

It’s what Australia did (though with an incredibly low number of spot checks) and, while you can never know the compliance rate, it broadly worked. Far better than the pathetically lax current UK system and should have been implemented on day 1 – it’s almost criminal negligence in my eyes.

8. Ronald Jeremy says:

I like marmite and anchovies, though I find that they get stuck in the pipes when I play them.

9. boo282 says:

Hello, just wondering if anybody knew whether The Economist Avios bonus requires the name on The Economist subscription to exactly match the name on the BA Executive Club account? Any input is much appreciated 🙂

10. https://www.ft.com/content/5c1b5276-3b5a-49f2-8352-f435297dc5f9

Don’t know if this has been posted but could be a refreshing change of tone if the filing does mean he is looking to sell a large stake to raise cash.

• ” Branson clears path to sell $1bn stake in Virgin Galactic

Filing opens door to potential sale of half of Virgin Group’s holding in space venture”

• Secret Squirrel says:

Tesco Pet Insurance:
        Someone mentioned on here they contacted Tesco Bank and got the points & compo by email recently. What is the email address as I used one but it got bounced back.