Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Friday 8th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/08/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-friday-8th-may/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (183)

• The Gatwick Flyer says:

I contacted BA RefundHelper on the FlyerTalk forums yesterday and I have already got a refund to my cancelled flight!

Well done BA, just wish other airlines would do as well.

• BrightonReader says:

If the refund has already hit your account then it’s very unlikely that he had anything to do with it due to the processing time.

Plus he has a backlog of messages to go through (not helped because people are contacting him about issues he can’t help with which means he has less time to deal with the ones he can)

• Andrew says:

Giant Biscoffs are so good!

Couple of scoops of ice cream between them. Nom.

• davvero says:

I can make my own club europe meal.
        2 fette di prosciutto (Italian ham) and 2 massive tomato slices
        That was the last meal I had in CE. Not very big. The dessert was nice but harder to find

• Hoch says:

My first BA flight was nearly 21 years ago on 29 July 1999 from PHX to LGW and then onwards to ARN. I was a bright eyed student on my way to Uppsala for a year.

I remember signing up to the BAEC a few weeks prior and naively went to the lounge at LGW expecting to be let in. I recall the man politely declining me entry (rightfully, of course as I had flown in Y) and suggesting where I could go to relax and wait for my connecting flight.

Good times.

• nordic says:

My first flight was from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur in August, 1990. It was kind of exotic to fly a western airline after having flown Helsinki-Leningrad-Sofia-Abu Dhabi-Colombo-Bangkok on Balkan Airways (a really cheap student ticket). The first to legs were on a Tupolev so even the BA plane was like back to normal.

I don’t remember much of the flight. The crew was very friendly and a drink was served on the short leg. I read somewhere (menu or inflight entertainment sheet) that the flight would continue to Auckland.

Even though I liked the flight a lot my next BA flight was only around 2008 when KLM/AF ruined their FF programme. Now that BA has stopped the Helsinki route I wonder if it is time to find a new home.

• PresRDC says:

My first flight was JFK-LGW in June 1993 on a DC-10. I think it was flight 172 at the time, but I could be wrong. Continuing flight from LGW was a 737-200 to GVA. This part of an exchange program with a high school in Grenoble, France. We took a bus from GVA to Grenoble.

Return trip in early July was CDG-LHR on a 767-300 and, three days later, LHR-JFK on a 747 classic (unsure if a -100 or a -200). The LHR-JFK flight was a 6 pm departure with a 9 pm arrival.

I have memories of the legroom on the DC-10 being substantially better than the 747.

Also, the pilot of the LHR-JFK flight was Stanley Stewart who wrote several aviation books, including “Emergency: Crisis in the Cockpit” and “Flying the Big Jets”. Got to visit him on the flight deck mid-flight.

• Oliver says:

Morning Rob and team.

Do you know if BAEC has any plans to extend the reduced TP thresholds for status to those with July membership years?

It’s well over a month since they announced it for April-June members, so I’m starting to lose faith!

• DonnyFlyer says:

I spoke to BA on the phone yesterday and they said new thresholds for July were being finalised and should be announced soon after the bank holiday.

The proposal for July is (subject to change):
      Bronze: 200
      Silver: 400
      Gold: 1000

• The Original David says:

Seems quiet today – have we turned on pro-active moderation of all comments?!

• Davios says:

Yeah, Shoestring was spamming the threads last night.

• Yuff says:

Anyone any tips on how to get to Mallorca, in this environment, on the 17/18th May.
    Based in the Midlands but London is ok.
    I’m assuming via Madrid/Barcelona is probably the best route.
    I’m hoping Spain will open up more on Monday.

• Roberto says:

Do you have a Spanish passport , citizenship or residence card? If not I cant see you being allowed into Spain at the moment.

Spaniards are restricted to stay in their province until Phase 3 which will be a while yet. All provinces are still Phase 0 until next week when most will move to 1 on Monday.

YMMV of course but I would think its highly unlikley.

• Yuff says:

My son has a residence card and I’m taking him back but he can’t travel on his own, due to his age, unless on British Airways.

• Rhys says:

I thought BA ditched unaccompanied minors?

• Rob says:

They have.

• Yuff says:

Not if you are over 12

• Rhys says:

Do they actually get the unaccompanied minor service or is it just they are allowed to fly solo?

Back when I was that age I was an unaccompanied minor every year to see my grandparents. They even had a kiddie lounge! BA staff would always whizz us through shortcuts around the back of the airport rather than the congested passenger areas. It was all quite exciting at that age!

• Yuff says:

He is allowed to fly on his own on BA, I haven’t found another airline which allows flights to Spain, from the UK, which will allow him to fly on his own.

• ChrisBCN says:

You can hope all you like about Spain opening up or you could look at the actual rules on opening up… Mallorca will enter phase 1 in the 11th, just Google Spain phase 1 if you want to see the rules

• Anna says:

I got an email today from the resort in Mijas where we are booked to stay this summer saying, “We are looking forward to seeing you in July”! I don’t know if they are being hopelessly optimistic or just confused by my Spanish surname and think I live there (though in which case, why email me in English?)