The new HFP chat thread – Saturday 9th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/09/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-9th-may/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

'My Favourite Hotel' review - Grand Elysee in Hamburg
What is the British Airways plan for flying post-coronavirus? We listen in on the IAG investor call

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Baji Nahid says:

Oh god, I have flights that were ticketed by virgin but were to go on KLM and Delta. If virgin goes bust i believe i may lose my tickets unless DELTA OR KLM would like to honour these 🙁
    I have become stressed as I have saved a lot for these flights and I would be absolutely gutted if I lose these 🙁

• Rhys says:

That’s what travel insurance and credit card protection is for.

2. Mr(s) Entitled says:

RFS – does a purchase of points count for restarting the 12mth clock? BA website unhelpfully says “collect” which I do not see defined.

• Genghis says:

Yes. Restarting the 36 month clock.

• Genghis says:

Oh I see what you’re actually asking. Ignore me. I don’t know.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

Tesco Club Card would be another simple option if it is applicable.

• Lady London says:

I did a Tesco transfer of £2.50 to keep mine alive. Virgin phone staff were spectacularly disdainful and unhelpful when I had phoned for advice on ways to stop my miles expiring.

Luckily Shoestring came to the rescue and said move Tesco points and it worked – expiry date 3 years.

Tbh that experience with Vurgin staff when buying points or moving Tesco must have been known to them as a solution but they couldn’t care less as I wasn’t a big collector I guess, might be one reason I had no qualms moving my little stash straight out to Hilton in March.

Don’t give up those of you with an investment in Virgun though – the chickens never seem to roost with them they will probably survive somehow.

• Lady London says:

Apologies following on from Baji:s comment I thought you meant Virgin as well. My solution does work as well for BA too I think.

• Peter K says:

I would imagine any income of Avios that wasn’t “combine my avios” would count for RFS. So Tesco, BA e-store, Heathrow rewards, BA amex etc would all count I’d have thought.

3. Benilyn says:

My IHG night award from the creation premium card (originally exp Sep-20) has been extended to 31 Dec 20. Apols if this has been discussed already, been a bit MIA here.