The new HFP chat thread – Wednesday 13th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/13/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-wednesday-13th-may/comment-page-1 The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

'My Favourite Hotel' review - Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello, Quebec, Canada
What did Willie Walsh say to the House of Commons Transport Committee yesterday?

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Which is the best number to contact BA to chase a refund? They processed the refund on the 20th April and advised 20 days to receive the funds but nothing received yet. Or am I being unrealistic to expect them to hit their own target given the circumstances?

• Andrew says:

Everyone I know, who paid by Amex, have had the funds recredited the next business day.

Are you definitely checking the correct account?

• Yep – paid with my BA Amex. Still no sign. Received the Avios and Companion Voucher back but no refund.

2. Baji Nahid says:

Tesco pet insurance? Anyone had their points yet? 🙂

• Received points today and only had to make 2 payments of £3.40 each

• Harry T says:

How long did it take in total, and when did you apply?

• Applied on 31 March (last day of the promo) and was able to manually enter Clubcard number during my application rather than rely on Tesco to match it at their end

• Harry T says:

That’s interesting because I applied on the same day but there wasn’t a box to input my number. Thanks.

• There wasn’t a box to put my number in either. I actually needed Pet Insurance which was a bonus but have not had any points!

• Did you have to call to cancel?

• No. Just cancelled direct debit.

• Anybody had their double dip £56 go payable already?

• Michael says:

You will receive a letter from Tesco telling you that you need to contact them to re-set up a dd. I’m not sure if they are able to claw the points back if you don’t.

3. Qwertyknowsbest says:

Amex points compensation. I have both plat and BAPP cards. Linked cancelling both in my call to Amex CS today. This was much more fruitful than my call last week just to ask about compensation for the Platinum card.

• BuyEMLocalBonds says:

Ok no specific details – very helpful

• hahahaha!

• Qwertyknowsbest says:

Very specific on the strategy, not specific on outcome other than worthwhile. If applicable to your circumstances and you decide to use the same approach, then only you can decide if the outcome is a good one for you.

4. BuyEMLocalBonds says:

I just applied for platinum upgrade from gold but was not instant :/

• Just check your online account tomorrow. You may find your Gold has changed to Platinum over night. Let us know how you get on – I’d be interested in seeing how it works out for you.

5. After 5 unsuccessful call, I made a complaint in writing to Amex as the monthly Addison Lee credits never credited to my Platinium card. Result within a week of sending the letter, they credited the credits and gave me £50 as a gesture of goodwill. Even if i had cancelled my card a couple of months ago.

6. Michael says:

Any successful stories of being accepted for the Qatar Med promo AND actually receiving the code? 48 hours is almost up and absolutely nada!

• No HFP winners yet it seems. Odds may improve later in the week as earlier entrants get fed up!

• Might be the opposite as more people learn about it and frustrated veterens devise cunning plans to increase their chances of success.

7. Michael says:

I can add an Amex datapoint. Retention offer on Amex PRG (Credit) was 10k points for me, 5k for my wife on the PRG (Charge).

• Interesting!

• BuyEMLocalBonds says:

were you fee paying at this point?

I’m on my free year.. wonder if they will do it for gold credit

• Free points or spend-dependent? Thanks.

• £1000 both counts. Not just free points. £1000 peanuts though.
        Yes, in the second year.

• Thanks, excellent deal. My gold coming up for renewal so I’ll give them a call.

• What did you say to the agent? Did you ask for a offer straight up or did you ask to cancel

8. Optimus Prime says:

Now that we’re allowed to exercise outside as much as we want – does that include doing activities in groups?

Our council seems to have reopened a basketball court nearby our place. I’t’s been full of kids all afternoon.

• Lockdown Larry says:

Only two people at a time (from different households) as long as they’re 2 metres apart.

• Lockdown Larry says:

I’m sure they’re parents will be happy if they bring back a disease and infect them.

• Except they won’t.

I recommend you read this paper – https://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covid19/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

• Optimus Prime says:

When playing basketball they all will be in contact with the ball with their hands for quite some time…

• Doommonger says:

Has anyone noticed the uncanny resemblance between Sir Kier Starmer and Lee from Gogglebox?

Both of whom would do a better job than the current clown in number 10.

• Lockdown Larry says:

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to what these supposed “experts” say.

Remember when the WHO said there wasn’t any evidence of human to human transmission?

Most of what scientists have said have either turned out to be nonsense or they’ve u-turned on.

• Qwertyknowsbest says:

Interesting and credible, well at least I think so.

• Lady London says:

thanks Rob the article is very interesting.

kinda confirms that everything those of us who are a bit OCD were worried about, indeed can kill you.

i have always hated offices with sealed ventilation systems. Looks like this was correct.

ive never returned to any hotel where my room window didnt open at least a crack so this is one for the future too.

interesting that there were presumably filters and scrubbers in the office ventilation system and yet the whole floor got infected.

Wondering what this means for planes which also have scrubbers and filters. Exposure time on planes is higher and preceded by being in a sealed atmosphere for hours at the airport. Hum.

• You don’t have to stay 2m apart from your exercise buddy, although you obviously should. The government seems keen to make everyone think it’s mandatory, but it’s not.

• Bazza says:

If you can stay 2m apart from ANYONE of course you should! Are you not listening to anything you have been told about social distancing?

You are putting lives at risk! Terrible attitude!

• Maybe learn to read properly before taking my words out of context! “although you obviously should” was fairly key to the point I was making…

• You were always allowed to exercise outside as much as you wanted. The once a day limit was never put into law.

• Bazza says:

It does not have to be law for you to Know you are doing the right and decent thing! There are not laws that cover EVERYTHING. Of course your exercise was not supposed to be unlimited! And even now unless absolutely necessary everyone would rather you didn’t take the P. Stay home and saves lives?! Did that one pass you by?

• I’ve been exercising at home, not outside. Again, stop deliberately twisting words out of context. People are inundating the police to report non criminal acts for which the police have been given no powers by this shameful government. It’s a total waste of their resources and incredibly dangerous to offer such mixed messages during such a risky time.

9. Lockdown Larry says:

“ Canada has asked the United States to extend the ban on non-essential travel cross the border until June, two government sources told Reuters on Wednesday.

A 30-day ban was put in place on 21 March, and renewed until the end of May.

A second 30-day extension would keep the border shut to tourists, visitors and other non-essential travellers until 21 June.”

10. Stephen says:

Is anyone renewing their Virgin Atlantic Rewards+ paid credit card?

Lots of posts about people cancelling their cards, but surely if Virgin unfortunately no longer exist, we would at least get a pro-rata refund of the fee?

• Harry T says:

Virgin Money are awful though. I wouldn’t want to have to chase them.

• IIRC you only have to wait 6 months before reapplying to get the sign up bonus and we may get a special offer by then