The new HFP chat thread – Sunday 17th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/17/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-sunday-17th-may/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Tips for cleanliness and hygiene on your travels during coronavirus
Amex Rewards Credit Card (ARCC): a way to keep your Amex Membership Rewards points alive when cancelling a card

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. xcalx says:

I saw a few posts this week re removing some members to use up small avios amounts for an award. Is it as easy as clicking on remove member also how long until that member can rejoin another household account.

Some Avios award availability has come up for TPA-MIA-SJU flying AA As these flights can’t now be cancelled online would the cancelation fee be £35 per flight. Trying to keep to award flights in case of cancelations to the November Transatlantic cruise into Tampa and the Puerto Rico cruise. I have been able to cancel this route before for £10 ish where as £140 seems a bit steep if it’s per flight x2.

2. I was looking at IHG reward bookings for Atlanta in October and noticed that virtually all said “excludes taxes and $5 amenity fee” even for HIEX properties.

Up to now there has been no tax on reward stays as no cash changes hands…and no amenity fees. Is this IHG trying to claw back some revenue?

• TGLoyalty says:

IHG has never promised no amenity fees for award stays.

I believe only Hilton specifically say this is the case in the T&C’s.

• Yeh but amenity fees for all their HIEXs?

And what about the plus taxes?

• TGLoyalty says:

It’s up to the individual hotels but perhaps they are all run by the same operator in that area?

sales tax on 0 is 0 but if there is a fixed amount tourist tax then Technically that is payable.

3. Secret Squirrel says:

Booking KLM flights using Virgin points on the VS site.
    How are people finding availability?
    I’ve got a list of dates that KLM fly but none seem to appear on the VS side?
    Any tips please!

• Secret Squirrel says:

Or KLM & Air France, tried LHR, AMS, CDG but always the same flights not available over numerous months cross checking with both carriers for dates they have availability?

• Virgin’s web site appears to have a lot of phantom reward availability on AF/KL. You might think a reward flight is available but it will fail at the payment stage.

To have a better chance of finding (possibly inaccurate) availability, try searching for one ways first.

4. Bootlace says:

That’s great thank you.

5. Baji Nahid says:

So my son took our tesco pet insurance back in March and did not get his points as of yet but happy to wait it out, however he also did not receive his policy documents either and its been 2 months. Thinking to just wait it out.

• Secret Squirrel says:

You should of received your policy docs through the post, I would call them like we did as we discovered our CC number was not attached to the policy?

• Baji Nahid says:

Hey SS, nothing at all for my son even though he put in his clubcard number. He is going to email tonight and let you know what the response is.

• We were emailed the documents and received them in the post. I phoned last week to chase up my pts and received a phone call back yesterday to say clubcard had now been notified to add my pts so fingers crossed they appear this week.

6. Is it still the case that you can change a cancelled Avios booking to a new date (inside original ticket validity) even if there are no reward seats on the new date? Can’t seem to do this through MMB as date range doesn’t go past 3 or so weeks from the initial date. Thanks.

• babyg says:

I found i had to wait about 72 hours for MMB to catch up. I even tried the call centre within 24hrs of receiving my cancellation, they couldn’t go past the 1 year ticket validity.

I called back after another 48 hours and had no probs, and MMB worked (mostly) – MMB had some issues (showing flights that had actually sold out) etc, hence i had to ring. Long story short, no issue rebooking my avios booking (and even a cash booking too) well beyond the 1 year ticket validity.

7. Anyone heard anything about London City restarting flights?

8. Gary Colclough says:

I have some refunds coming back top BA Amex for a group holiday

I need to pay the people back but this will not only lose me the Avios but also probably ruin my chance of making my 2-4-1 voucher as time is short , basing this on having the credit balance transferred to my back (if this is possible)

The people are prepared to be flexible and a couple have items I can buy for them, is there a way I can get the money to them via Paypal even if there’s a small cost? was wondering if they could send me a money request or something

Thanks