Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Wednesday 20th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/20/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-wednesday-20th-may/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (143)

• Tom says:

Is there anyway of increasing the cost of a Virgin UC booking? I want to book a flight from HK for two but cost is less than £100 and i want to make sure i have some S75 protection.

Can you cancel bookings made with points? I could add a third ticket which i just about have enough points for and cancel it before flying if that is the case.

• Rhys says:

Yes cancellable/refundable up to 24 hours prior to departure, minus £30.

Technically S75 only covers ‘single items’ with value over £100 so not sure if adding ancillaries would actually help.

• luckyjim says:

Add extra luggage maybe? Depends if it’s including under the same booking or invoiced separately.

• joe says:

Whats the best way to depose of a amex metal card? Ive tried cutting it and bending but neither work really. Not too keen to just throw it in the bin!

• BrightonReader says:

send it back?

what does it say on the amex website?

• Sandgrounder says:

Mine came with a freepost envelope to return for recycling. I found give you the address, but it’s probably safer to ask on the online chat than take the word of internet people.

• Secret Squirrel says:

7.5m + 1m new unemployed is a quarter of the UK workforce, not really “Most are back at Work” IMO.

• TGLoyalty says:

Is that the total workforce that have claimed or the total workforce still claiming?

I’d say 75% of the workforce force is a most though. surely 60%+ would be most even accounting for those companies that decided not to furlough people.

• mart says:

trying to ring marriott Uk on 020 7012 7312 line dead
    i accept with the current situation it could be unmanned or is it the correct number?

• Grant says:

I have 020 3564 6335 saved in the phone from the last time I called.

• Matt says:

IHG Card – applied end of March whilst the bonus for the free card was ongoing, and only finally received the card yesterday. Called up Customer services who told me I would NOT get the bonus as card only issued recently, despite me applying back in March when it was on – operator did not seem to know what they were saying, was a bit disorganised.
    Has anyone else received the 20,000 enhanced bonus from a late March application who got the card recently, and did you have to chase for the extra points?

NB – I have an existing Marriott card, but it looks like I can’t add the IHG card to the existing login, I have to create a new login? Is the website that bad?

• Michael says:

You can’t add cards to a Creation account. Need to create a new account for each new card. Just be grateful they’ve now got an app!

• guesswho2000 says:

Prepare to bang your head against a brick wall. Hit the threshold and see if it posts anyway, it may well do. Their CS are diabolical, they have no idea how their products operate and I had to explain several times, including directing them to their own website, to make them believe IHG Platinum was a benefit of the (Black) card.

It’s been fine since the initial issues were resolved (took about 4 months from account opening), about 18m now, but I dread ever having to deal with their CS department for anything.

• luckyjim says:

I think Creation’s customer service is quite good. Their IT is crap.

• Harry T says:

Amazingly, despite applying on the last day for the offer, after they had wiped it from their website branding, I have actually received the 20k bonus for the free IHG white card. They’ve credited 10k to my Creation card account and a separate 10k directly to my IHG account.

• Dubious says:

Hi Rob,
    just for your info, Singapore Changi Airport is re-opening to transit passengers from the 2nd June:

• Brian S says:

Has anyone not had their IHG status extended and their Spire Elite choice benefit yet?

Remember reading the article in April but nothing seems to have been changed on my account yet.

• Dan says:

No. Will hit the lower 55k target at the end of the month through credit card spend. Has anyone received it twice (once for the gratis extension, once for hitting the Spire target)?

• memesweeper says:

I got my 25k bonus a few weeks ago.

• BrightonReader says:

This has already been asked and answered in this very thread.

• Ja says:

Mine is still showing as 31/12/2020. I thought from the article it was going to be 31/12/2021

• Matty says:

I had a flight departing with BA tomorrow. It was cancelled about a month ago. I called yesterday (I waited until the 72 hour period before the flight was scheduled to depart). Tickets were issued in January. BA said they would only rebook if I completed my new flights within one year of the original ticketing date. I was speaking to GGL team. I wanted to book for May 2021 but BA said not possible. Offered a voucher or a refund.

Hung up to consult the other half. When I called back, I was offered a rebooking up to 8 May 2021. Not sure who was correct but rebooked for the beginning of May 2021.