Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Thursday 21st May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/21/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-thursday-21st-may/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (173)

• Brian C says:

Just tried to see if there were any plans to provide any incentives to Amex Platinum cardholders to stay as suggested by Rob a little while ago when he mentioned that one reader got 20k points loaded (but he was refused). I similarly got the brush off and was offered a downgrade to gold, and reminded that there were double points at the moment and how much my poimnts were worth if i used them to pay down my bill – which was a useless comment as the balance is practically in credit with all of the flight refunds coming in! I tried to exert a little pressure and mentioned the business platinum fee incentive, but still got nowhere. BUT the advisor mentioned that there were plans to further incentivise??? but no detail of course or timescales. Unlike Rob (as he indicated) I use the card a lot, so I was a little disappointed. Anyone else tried and get anywhere with this topic?

• Genghis says:

Loads of people have been given points (not me, I don’t have plat).

But giving people 20k points is not really an incentive to stay. You can just bag the points and then leave.

• Polly says:

Yes, that 20k is to make up for being unable to use their travel benefits, main reason most of us hold the card maybe? But l did have to work hard to get the extra 5 k from the agent l spoke to, good will gesture she told me, in the end.

• Andrew says:

I was hoping for some non-travel related benefits to be made part of the card for this period as they have done in USA eg £10 per month netflix – but so far nothing other than the double points/double value and the 20K points for some.

• Sean says:

I’m a very low user of the Plat and got 40k. Just asked if there was anything they could do as my renewal was due in a weeks time.

• Brian C says:

Wow! 40k. think I might give it a week or so and have another go.

• Polly says:

Yes, some people were given 20k straight up, then found 40k in their accounts! Lucky for some.

• Graeme says:

I called up this afternoon and got the 20k points, offered immediately when I said I was considering cancelling the card. Thanks to Rob for highlighting this offer! In case the data points are useful, I’ve used the card very infrequently in the 7 years I’ve had it, other than very recently since the earning rate was doubled. The priority pass plus a couple of travel insurance claims that I think most insurers would have turned down have made it great value even without using it.

• guesswho2000 says:

Data point AA – cancellation requested 11/5, refund appeared 21/5. Best so far out of QF, AA, BA, SQ.

• Liam says:

My experience with AA has been very good too. I received full refunds for three return flights with minimal hassle.

• BrightonReader says:

took a month for mine to coe through!

Positivly speedy compared to Finnair where I cancelled on 12 March and got the card credit yesterday!

• Martin says:

BA just cancelled my Club World open jaw Amex 2-4-1 return leg flight from Calgary in Sept, leaving me outbound to Vancouver only. They’ve pulled the whole Calgary route it seems (I was expecting this). Called and managed to get thru, rebooked my return leg from Vancouver in Club World a couple of days later than planned, result as reward seats were available. I think it’s still likely the whole trip will be off but happy to have derisked at least this part of it.

However, I then noticed that my Exec Club Silver status has been extended by a full 12 months even though I only had enough Tier Points to quality for Bronze when my year ended. A nice touch by BA I thought.

• bsuije says:

Status extension would be quite exciting if it is indeed true. Any chance that you perhaps qualified under the reduced threshold (420 TPs instead of 600)?

• Martin says:

Just checked my BA account, I only had enough Tier Points to put me in Bronze even with the reduced Silver threshold of 420 v 600. My Tier Point year has just ended and I was on 380 points with no chance of getting to 420 so maybe they are doing it at year end? No clue if it is universal or a factory of my proximity to the 420 threshold….either way it was a pleasant surprise.

• Rhys says:

Yes, if anyone can confirm this that would be great…

• Hannah says:

On the BA it now says my card expiry for silver is 31st March 2022

• Hannah says:

*BA app
          Apologies! Managed to miss a word!

• EJH says:

Perhaps Martin had a Jun (or prior) expiry… like him I’m on 380TP with Jul expiry and status quo remains for me.

• Capecam says:

The year long renewals are happening on request for sure – But the timing of the request is critical according to my mate at BA. Wait till tier point collection date passes ( eg May 8th) But before card expires.( June 30th) Asking for renewal whilst you are still in your current earning year will actually work against you. My renewal for 12 months happened when I followed this procedure. Within 5 days of my request

• Rhys says:

But Martin hadn’t requested the extension!

• Martin says:

Rhys, if you want I can send you a couple of redacted screen grabs from my BAEC account showing the status and transactions (tier point balance removed) if you want. Email me if so.

• AndyGWP says:

Interesting re: de-risking

My thoughts (on the previous page) were that as cancelled avios flights can (currently – admittedly) be moved regardless of avios availability, that you’ve possibly increased risk as you will be on the hook for flight cancellation costs now, and any associated (accommodation) cancellation costs should you wish to cancel the trip due to Canada entry requirements (ie. 14 day quarantine)

If you’d have left it, wouldn’t insurance have covered the cancellation costs of your accommodation, and you’d have had the option to cancel flights for free with full refund

• Lumma says:

My Heathrow Rewards transfer has hit my Avios account today but the bonus points haven’t arrived, just the base 3,500 I transferred

• Simon says:

Random one, admittedly • “Comments tally” per article. On some devices and in some browsers, the comments tally/counter per article is there to see; on a different device or via a different browser, it disappears! Would anyone know why? Knowing how many comments I have in front of me helps to stiffen my resolve; without it, I get the sense of what looking for that golden ticket for the Wonka chocolate factory would have been like. 🙂

• JohnT says:

Following on from Tuesdays posts (sorry to come back to it) – BA have now cancelled our US flight in September (Avios 241). So I presume option is phone for a full refund or take a “refund voucher”. However agent said this is not the “Book with confidence voucher” (as flight is after 31/7) that would allow me to rebook for any availability in CW (not just avios seats). So presume best option is full refund (cash/avios and 241) so I can rebook myself, as no special booking benefits for a “refund voucher”?

• illuminatus says:

Curve / HSBC Premier World Elite

Has anyone had issues with HSBC points recently? The combo used to work perfectly for me, however for April – with total spend of about £20K – I received 10K points only vs the expected 40K. After 2+ weeks of investigation, the wonderful Premier support replied to me that my ‘total purchases’ in April were £5K, thus the amount of points received. Looking at the statement, I cannot understand where that amount comes from, ie how they arrived at at…

Anyone with similar experience?

• The Urbanite says:

You’re not the only one, but the only way to resolve is to persevere with them!

• Polly says:

Ask for a manager… had multiple probs with them first couple of years, when staff didn’t know about the card! But they seem better now. Or a supervisor. The call centre staff really can only handle the simplest of issues.

• Jimbob says:

My points that posted on 10th April were correct, and that included some Ernie spending

• Joseph Heenan says:

What’s your credit limit?

Their IT has a nasty habit of not crediting points for transactions that take you over your credit limit, but also takes a very days to apply payments to your account. So long story short make sure any payments are fully credited before spending more.

Also you all really should get an IHG card.

• Ant says:

I have a one way flight booked in Dec Malta- LGW with avios. We paid a total of £17.50+23,500 for 2. I now need to move it but the charge is £70.
    Is there a cheaper way of doing this? I don’t mind losing the £17.50 but i would like to get back the avios but don’t really want to pay £70.
    Any thoughts?

• lumma says:

I believe you need to call to cancel and you’ll only be charged the £17.50pp and get the Avios back, then you can rebook.

You used to be able to do it online but they’ve stopped it (and also closed the workaround that was on here a few weeks back)

• Ant says:

sadly when I called they also wanted to charge me £70

• JohnT says:

Could wait and see? Unless you need avios for new booking.

• TGLoyalty says:

It is a £35 charge per person per booking

It was just the website that didn’t work as per the T&C’s correctly and only charged you the max of £35 of the cash paid. Or since the £1 euro redemptions came in £1/50p