The new HFP chat thread – Friday 22nd May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/22/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-friday-22nd-may/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

REVIEW: Is BA Accelerating Business Amex or Capital On Tap Business Rewards the best Avios credit card?
REOPENED FOR 48 HOURS: Get British Airways lounge access for 12 months via a (limited) Qatar Airways status match!

Comments

1. marcw says:

All four resolutions proposed by Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou to remove four easyJet directors as means to cancel its order for 107 Airbus aircraft have been clearly defeated at today’s EGM.

2. Chrisasaurus says:

On flying, but:

Have a eurotunnel booking for weekend that so far as I understand it I can move to within 12months of booking date for free (or minimal fee)

I booked at beginning of year and I don’t see me wanting a trip to France in the next 9 months but as the trains are running I don’t see me being due a refund – correct?

So that being the case is my best option to cancel and make a claim on Amex plat insurance?

• Despite FCO advice still being not to travel?

• I was in the same position. Call them within two weeks of travel and they will extend:
      “Please note that although your voucher needs to be redeemed by the above date [date I called], it can be used for travel after this time. Once booked our standard terms and conditions apply, allowing travel within 12 months from the date of booking. The dates for booking are currently available 9 months in advance. Additional dates will be opened on a regular basis.”

• Sorry… ‘Date above’ is twelve months from the day I called them.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Thanks and quite right, quite a while on hold but was straightforward once through – credit vouchers issued exactly as you described

3. I’ve used a £40 voucher booking a BA flight that was cancelled. They only refunded me the cash element, any chance of getting this voucher back? I earned it by complaining about my IFE not working in a long haul flight

4. Graham says:

I’m BA silver with 1200 points expiring June. Is upgrade to gold automatic or do I have to claim it?

• Mike P says:

You will automatically be upgraded to Gold, no need to claim. It may take a bit of time according to reports on Flyertalk

• Should be automatically done by BAEC at your TP year end renewal. Nice one to achieve Gold but how useful it will be is another issue.

• Andrew says:

Exactly, the lounges aren’t going to open for quite some time.

5. steve fred says:

E-Wallets & Amex Charge (Plat or Gold) Card: Do Amex charge anything for topping up e-wallet such as Skrill or EcoPayz?

• Michael says:

Seems to be a purchase. How much have you managed to churn through these lot?

• steve fred says:

Haven’t yet hence why I was asking. Only topped up using debit card and paypoint so far. Couldn’t figure out whether it would go thru as a purchase if topping up directly with amex plat charge card. Have you tried it?

• rams1981 says:

How do you spend the Skrill balance? Bank transfers seem to have a fee

• The Urbanite says:

Amex don’t charge but it will trigger a financial review and you could lose all your Amex accounts!

• Brian W says:

Is that simply your opinion @The Urbanite or do you have solid evidence that will occur as your post claims? I’m assuming you are an Amex employee or have a personal case to prove this?

• I lost all my amex accounts, as well as those of family members (same address), in no small part due to skrill

6. One of my Amexes has a 15% off at The Wine Flyer offer – AND I’ve just noticed T W F website is also offering 20% off for Blue Light card holders (anyone who works for the emergency services can get one of these).

7. Hi

If I book Avios flights for somewhere in July that has good availability at the moment and then the flight gets cancelled- I understand that I can rebook at any time even though there might not be Avios availability?

Is that right?

Thanks

8. Craig W says:

apologies if i have missed anything on this

Ryanair cancelled my flight for July and i have requested a refund via their online system which the email directed me to. Any idea how long this refund is likely to take? I don’t really want to call them and will more than happily do a chargeback even if they blacklist me (in fact i would quite like it so i can’t fly with them and so avoid the lure of their cheap fares) – how long do i need to wait before doing this?

• Richard says:

I requested a refund for ryanair flight due to happen on May 3rd, when that was cancelled about April 15th. Haven’t had the refund (or chased for one though)

• Crafty says:

They have said they aren’t processing refunds until after Covid-19 has gone away. So basically, be prepared to charge back.

For courtesy, for each of mine I am waiting until their stated time frame of 20 working days has passed, before applying to the credit card provider.

9. Rui N. says:

Are there any websites that buy Ticketmaster gift cards? I got one from a show that was refunded, and I was wondering if I can sell it somewhere… (it only has 1-year validity, so I might not be able to use it)

• Baji Nahid says:

Hey how much you selling for? I wouldnt mind buying it!

• Rui N. says:

Hi Rob, it is possible to put me and Baji in touch by email? Otherwise I’m “mikex163” on flyertalk, PM there

10. Has anyone put any money into an NS&I account using Curve charging to MBNA Horizon (or any other MBNA card)? Any charges/interest?

11. Peter North says:

Home secretary will be running the Coronavirus Briefing today. Will football arrests or bar fight arrests be down again?

• I’m very unlikely to be involved in either so I’m more interested in what she’s going to say about quarantine!

• What Peter means is that in a previous press conference Pritti was proudly boasting how domestic burglaries and shoplifting had gone down, inferring it was due to her genius at running the Home Office and not to do with the fact that everyone is at home and all the shops are shut.

• Priti Vacant is the worst Home Secretary we’ve had in 20 years. Absolutely brainless.

• Implying! And yes, she is not fit for purpose. Jack Straw was the last one with anything about him, and I’m not much of a Labour supporter.

• Chris Heyes says:

[email protected] lived in Blackburn many years “But Never” voted for him he as home secretary (one of many)
            Who denied Diego Garcia population their “Legal Rights” to return to their Island even though they won their legal battle in the courts (even won it in the High Court)
            But America wanted to keep it so we made excuse after excuse to keep the “monkeys out”
            Not my words official records words by a previous MP
            shot their dogs told them only temporary, & they would be allowed back
            Jack Straws excuse “the islands sinking”
            Bet not many on here know or even care about their plight interesting read though

• Lady London says:

is that the island the US is using as a military base?

• Bazza says:

I think she is great! Was on to this wasteful foreign aid like a harbour shark!