The new HFP chat thread – Friday 22nd May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/22/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-friday-22nd-may/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

REVIEW: Is BA Accelerating Business Amex or Capital On Tap Business Rewards the best Avios credit card?
REOPENED FOR 48 HOURS: Get British Airways lounge access for 12 months via a (limited) Qatar Airways status match!

Double Rewards
AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. One of my Amexes has a 15% off at The Wine Flyer offer – AND I’ve just noticed T W F website is also offering 20% off for Blue Light card holders (anyone who works for the emergency services can get one of these).

2. Hi

If I book Avios flights for somewhere in July that has good availability at the moment and then the flight gets cancelled- I understand that I can rebook at any time even though there might not be Avios availability?

Is that right?

Thanks

3. Craig W says:

apologies if i have missed anything on this

Ryanair cancelled my flight for July and i have requested a refund via their online system which the email directed me to. Any idea how long this refund is likely to take? I don’t really want to call them and will more than happily do a chargeback even if they blacklist me (in fact i would quite like it so i can’t fly with them and so avoid the lure of their cheap fares) – how long do i need to wait before doing this?

• Richard says:

I requested a refund for ryanair flight due to happen on May 3rd, when that was cancelled about April 15th. Haven’t had the refund (or chased for one though)

• Crafty says:

They have said they aren’t processing refunds until after Covid-19 has gone away. So basically, be prepared to charge back.

For courtesy, for each of mine I am waiting until their stated time frame of 20 working days has passed, before applying to the credit card provider.

4. Rui N. says:

Are there any websites that buy Ticketmaster gift cards? I got one from a show that was refunded, and I was wondering if I can sell it somewhere… (it only has 1-year validity, so I might not be able to use it)

5. Has anyone put any money into an NS&I account using Curve charging to MBNA Horizon (or any other MBNA card)? Any charges/interest?

6. Peter North says:

Home secretary will be running the Coronavirus Briefing today. Will football arrests or bar fight arrests be down again?

• I’m very unlikely to be involved in either so I’m more interested in what she’s going to say about quarantine!

• What Peter means is that in a previous press conference Pritti was proudly boasting how domestic burglaries and shoplifting had gone down, inferring it was due to her genius at running the Home Office and not to do with the fact that everyone is at home and all the shops are shut.

• Priti Vacant is the worst Home Secretary we’ve had in 20 years. Absolutely brainless.

• Implying! And yes, she is not fit for purpose. Jack Straw was the last one with anything about him, and I’m not much of a Labour supporter.

• Chris Heyes says:

[email protected] lived in Blackburn many years “But Never” voted for him he as home secretary (one of many)
            Who denied Diego Garcia population their “Legal Rights” to return to their Island even though they won their legal battle in the courts (even won it in the High Court)
            But America wanted to keep it so we made excuse after excuse to keep the “monkeys out”
            Not my words official records words by a previous MP
            shot their dogs told them only temporary, & they would be allowed back
            Jack Straws excuse “the islands sinking”
            Bet not many on here know or even care about their plight interesting read though

• Lady London says:

is that the island the US is using as a military base?

• Bazza says:

I think she is great! Was on to this wasteful foreign aid like a harbour shark!

7. TGLoyalty says:

Randomly just had my IHG ambassador status and voucher extended by a further 3 months so instead of March 2021 it’s now September 2022

Still not spite choice benefit though.

• fivebobbill says:

By my calculations is that not 18 months mate 🙂

• Andrew says:

Same, another 3 months were added a couple of days ago. And like you, still no spire benefit added.

• Same, thanks for this I hadn’t noticed. Feb 21 now, no additional anything, although I’ve qualified for Spire twice over anyway and did receive the 25k, so despite the extension I’m imagining I won’t receive anything.

• The Urbanite says:

I’m beginning to wonder if I want these extensions – I’ve found a good use for the free night certificate and would like another one ASAP!

• Harry T says:

Extension again for me too. Will be visiting the Amstel in Amsterdam on points a lot next year, I think. May bump into Genghis.

• Thank you very much for this, TGLoyalty. Just checked and same here. Account activity shows Ambassador renewal on May 20, so a couple of days ago. Hopefully everyone will have had their extension by now.

8. Bootlace says:

PM has purged all talent that may pose a threat to him. As such, we are left with these dullards and dolts.

9. Andrew says:

No international travel until July at the earliest then.

• TGLoyalty says:

Depends. I’m working from home for the foreseeable so don’t see the issue sticking to my home for 14 days.

I did think late July onwards was a possibility.

• No UK travel either, given the hotels are closed here!

10. Priti Patel just announced that police will be “empowered” to enforce quarantine rules, in other words “instructed” to. This will play out in a prolonged squabble between the police and the border force over who has the least resources to be able to do this.

• mr_jetlag says:

I always make sure I’m away from the TV at 5-6pm these days to avoid unwanted face/palm interactions. It’s more of a danger whenever Patel is on.

• Andrew says:

Hopefully the £1000 deterrent will be enough to put people of travelling outside the Common Travel Area and the police needing to waste their resources to enforce this.

• I guess staying home 14 days is not a problem for many.

• Not really enforceable for someone who’s only going to be in the country for a short time. Then there’s the likelihood that they won’t get the legislation or procedures right and people will successfully challenge fines (it’s been a shambles as far as enforcing lockdown has gone so far). I can’t see there being any “draconian” measures such as a power of entry so all someone will have to say is that they didn’t hear the door and – case dismissed. It’s difficult enough to get a phone trace for a murder investigation, so there’s no way compliance will be monitored through people’s mobiles.

• Agree, why people think phone tracking works? just pop down my local market twice and leave my phone home.

11. marcw says:

Sheraings Leisure Group into administration https://www.shearings.com

• Struggle to see when the market for pensioner coach tours of cheap hotels is going to restart.