The new HFP chat thread – Saturday 23rd May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/23/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-23rd-may/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

How to earn Avios points via Tesco Clubcard when filling up with petrol at Esso
How will the 14-day UK travel quarantine work?

Double Rewards
AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Sonic says:

Hi all. My partner recently passed away after a long battle with cancer. We chose to run up a substantial credit card debt to enable us to see the world. This was always going to be paid off by a life insurance policy. My question, Is there a way to pay off her credit card debts and accrue amex membership reward points? I also hold hilton barcleycard which I could use? Thanks

• Chris Heyes says:

[email protected] Sorry to hear, i don’t think it’s my place for further comment.
      But I’m sure Rob will be able to advice you be patient
      I’m sure soon as he reads this he will get back to you
      He might need more info than you have written now though (Wait for Rob)

• Amex MR points Not really no, not in a way that would cost significantly more than the points are worth. There’s ways and means of earning other types of points in a cheaper roundabout way, but depends what card the debt currently sits on?

• Someone can correct me if I misunderstand, but I thought a person’s debts died with them, or in other words they are paid by the deceased’s estate.

The beneficiary of a life insurance policy thus shouldn’t be personally liable for the deceased’s debts, unless they were also the executor of the will and failed in their duties.

• Steve says:

The OP is likely the recipient of the deceased’s estate, so technically you are right, but practically it makes no difference to the (possibly fake) scenario posted

• Sorry for your loss. Do you have a Lloyd’s avios card by any chance? If so then a balance transfer would be the simplest way to get something back.

• Spursdebs says:

Sorry for your loss, I don’t know answer but hope you and your partner enjoyed every single moment you had travelling the world together.

• HAM76 says:

@Sonic Sorry for your loss.

If (big if) the Hilton Barclaycard doesn’t treat Revolut as a cash advance, you could add money to your Revolut account by charging the barclaycard and then transfer money to you partner’s credit card account. Please note that this only works for transferring money to another person’s account. You are not allowed to use Revolut to pay off your own credit card. It also depends on how Barclaycard treats Revolut payments. And there is some risk involved in that Revolut might not let you transfer larger amounts when you are not an active user. Revolut does not work with Amex.

• Sonic not sure it’s easily possible without incurring charges.

Hope you have some great memories taking in the sights you saw on your trip.

• Very sorry to hear that.

It depends what the underlying card is. In theory Curve is now charging 1.5% to pay off credit card bills but some may slip through. I THINK Revolut still lets you load for free from a Visa credit card? (or does it?) but there aren’t many Visa-earning points cards. Does Monese still let you top-up via a credit card at a Co-Op?

I don’t think Billhop lets you settle credit card bills via Amex and the 2.95% fee is painful anyway.

The Tesco debit card, in theory, does not give points on financial services transactions except for HMRC.

• prune says:

Monese is still going strong via the Co-op. But this has to be at a blue signed co-op and not the green, as the green one doesn’t accept amex!

• Genghis says:

It’s only workable for low 5 figures though before you get shut down.

• FloriGuy says:

Do they allow it long-term if you spread it out over a longer period? I thought they usually get annoyed and closed you down when you were hammering high amounts through through a short period.

• kevbar says:

Be careful with Monese, they closed my account on 22nd March, unfortunately there was a refund to the account on 15th April, they accepted it and still have not transferred it to my bank…

• mark2 says:

In my experience ‘green’ coops i.e. supermarkets are fine (Midlands and East Anglia).

• Baji Nahid says:

Oh Sonic I am so sorry to hear

2. Sapiens says:

Some governments ensure quarantine compliance by making you sign a legal agreement when entering the quarantine period / Airport, then video calling you multiple times per day to verify you are at home. You first establish a specific part of your home (e.g. bedroom with features x y z) where you do the call, on punishment of fine / jail.

• Might as well just go to jail for 2 weeks then

• No way that will happen here, unless the authorities are going to give everyone who’s in quarantine the means to make a video call. People would suddenly start eschewing technology (I’m old fashioned, your worship, I only have a landline phone.)

• Personally I live ‘off grid’ 😂

• RussellH says:

I do have a mobile phone (a good half dozen at least), but only two in use these days; one UK and one EU (German). These, though, are telephones – ie they make voice calls.
        They also have something really useful called SMS – perfect for contacting tradesmen, and particularly my cleaner, who is deaf.
        One of them does e-mail reasonably well, and sends faxes (though it no longer receives them, as that requires a dedicated fax no. on the SIM). The web browser does not work any more, while the othe rphones that claim to do both e-mail and HTML could never be persuaded to do so.
        If the powers-that-be want me to use a “smart”phone, they will have to supply it for free.

• TGLoyalty says:

Which governments are these?

• ChrisBCN says:

In quite sure the UK will remove the quarantine policy in a few weeks anyway, or restrict it to just a few countries to save face

• Chrish says:

[email protected] Hmmm Now I’m reading comments that it will be removed in a few weeks
        Before i was reading comments it will never be introduced
        Before that i was reading it would be impossible to enforce
        You must admit you can have a good laugh reading comments on here
        long may it continue
        Next week it will be Virgins turn ? lol
        Then back to BA lol

• Ian M says:

Why not just tag everyone that enters the UK like they do with early release from prison 😂

3. Graham says:

With BA pulling out of Gatwick does anyone have a view to how they will deal with all the summer flights to Spain Portugal Greece etc that are probably pretty full scheduled out of Gatwick during peak summer time ?

• Keith says:

you think flights will be full this summer?

with everyone having to endure hellish nonsense in the terminal, everyone having to wear masks the whole flight, with little or no food or beverages sold onboard etc, only to arrive at a destination that is likely going to ask you to endure more nonsense?

• Andrew says:

Totally agree. There won’t be a summer season this year. U.K. government want us staying here and spending money here – hence the quarantine.

• TGLoyalty says:

But if that’s the case wouldn’t you keep FCO advice not to travel in place and no quarantine to encourage people to holiday here from the UK and all over the world.

• Has there been announcement that FCO advice will change?

• Andrew says:

They are keeping the FCO advice in place as well.

• TGLoyalty says:

My point is IF the sole reason was to keep us all here for staycations and boost UK tourism economy that would be better achieved by welcoming foreign visitors while telling use (via the FCO) that we shouldn’t go abroad.

I’ll be honest I won’t staycation any more than I was already planning before all this AND I could cancel some if the restaurants bars etc are still closed / restricted.

• Graham says:

Don’t disagree that many people will not travel but there will be a lot of people who may choose to. I remain watchful of the situation as have flights booked out of Gatwick for Aug 1st and was just throwing out there if BA are not using Gatwick will they just cancel the flights or switch passengers over to Heathrow so they do not have to give refunds

• Worth mentioning that BA haven’t confirmed their Gatwick plans yet.

• ChrisBCN says:

If bookings start to pick up (which I think they will in just a few weeks) I’m sure Gatwick will restart – they haven’t pulled out permanently

4. Bagoly says:

CNN and other American sites report that Hertz USA has filed for bankruptcy.
    Of course that is American-style bankruptcy which means Shaft-The-Creditors rather than Close-The-Business.
    But could be a pre-cursor to real closures later.
    I expect car rental companies have separate subsidiaries in each country, with cash typically sucked back to parent company each night, or some countries may be franchises?
    I’m glad that my one outstanding car booking is Pay-at-counter.

5. Donna says:

Does anyone have any advice regarding a good travel insurance policy? I have used the Barclays travel pack in the past, but unfortunately this has now been suspended. I am looking to book flights for May next year to Asia and would like to have insurance before I book. Will probably use points for hotels.

• Do you have the travel pack as part of your Barclays Bank account? I wasn’t aware they had taken it away from existing customers? I think I am still in a Grandfathered scheme… (I should probably check!!)

6. JohnT says:

Our Charleston flight in Sept cancelled on Thur. Got through quickly (by not selecting any options) to get Avios/ 241 / cash refund. Avios and 241 back in my account same day and seat fee back into Amex today. Rebooked for April but with a return from Atlanta (787-10 new Club world we hope). Fingers crossed for some sort of normality (and the main cash refund!) by then?

• Robert says:

That’s worrying to hear of September flight cancellation, but good news to hear you were swiftly refunded and rebooked. Pretty confident you’ll have a better experience altogether by next Spring.

• Charleston and Calgary have both been pulled for the entire summer 2020. They’re summer-only routes and due to be back next summer (end of March in the aviation world) hence you were able to rebook for April!

• JohnT says:

Yes thanks, outbound available for a few dates still but returns went too quickly, so Atlanta and new CW seemed a good alternative.

• Michael says:

Hi Rhys, is that British Airways who cancelled Calgary all summer?
        my late July flight was cancelled but I was offered to rebook, but now see no available dates showing.

• AndyGWP says:

Yes – BA have pulled it. (So you can’t see it for the reasons Rhys has stated) 🙂

7. Andrew says:

When can we expect BA to publish their limited July flying schedule and cancel flights? I’m hoping for a cash refund rather than a voucher.

• I imagine it’s going to be really difficult if the quarantine situation is being reviewed every 3 weeks. If they cancel a big chunk of July flights then quarantine is lifted and FCO advice changes they’ll have shot themselves in the foot somewhat.

• Next few weeks I would expect. But with a 14day quarantine in place I suspect it won’t be a meaningful return to flying.

8. Boris says:

I recieved notification from EasyJet that my account had been compromised by the recent data breach although they tried to stress information such as card number and passport details had not.

This also happened with BA

There was talk of a BA class action of sorts, which I gather is on the back burner because of current events? (Any update on that would be cool if you have one by the way)

Do you think something similar will happen with EasyJet?

• ChrisC says:

The number of people who had their credit card details compromised with easyjet was around 2.000 it was a couple of hundred thousand (if not more) with BA,

So with easyJet the pool of people is a lot smaller and unlikely to generate any profit for the lawyers.

• Crafty says:

SPG one doesn’t seem to be on the back burner, they asked me for some data 2 weeks ago.

9. Donna says:

I had removd the Barclays travel pack in January this year as was not planning any travel. I thought I could re add at a later date, but it is no longer available…

10. Harry T says:

Hertz have filed for bankruptcy – breaking news.

11. Travel Strong says:

Virgin miles on Delta metal: Sep/Oct direct flights LHR-SLC have been cancelled and rerouted with 4hr layovers each way in MSC.

1st choice would be to wait it out and see if the direct flights are reinstated (unlikely).

2nd best option for me would be a change of destination e.g. LHR-LAS direct. Is this also unlikely?

I will be calling to ask virgin, but interested if theres any history of destination changes being granted.

• Travel Strong says:

P.S. Fully acknowledge theres a chance of USA not being open for business still. Question assumes that it is!