The new HFP chat thread – Saturday 23rd May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/23/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-23rd-may/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

How to earn Avios points via Tesco Clubcard when filling up with petrol at Esso
How will the 14-day UK travel quarantine work?

Nutmeg ad

Comments

1. There’s a fun competition on Strava at the moment. If you log 6 hours of exercise between now and 30th of May you are entered into a draw to win 100k Alaskan Airlines Miles.

2. Chrish says:

The best way forward would be to lift Travel Restrictions for “All Holidays” in the UK
    As the R drops that way the UK could start to get back on track.
    Ok no flights except fpr cargo outwards, but most (not all) Holidaymakers are taking money out of the country.
    While if there was no travel abroad the UK would get an above normal boost
    Ok there would be a downside of not many visitors allowed in (which would be a massive loss)
    But a 14 day quarantine has the same effect (so no difference)
    If the Government announced it say beginning of June the majority could start booking Holidays in the UK

• A holiday in the UK for most people would work out expensive vs a package holiday to Spain. I’d guess a lot of people will just stay home and do the odd day trip.

• Aston100 says:

I just priced up a week to Yorkshire and Lake District.
        Was surprisingly expensive, when considering all the projected costs.
        I keep forgetting how expensive even restaurant food is in this country versus abroad.

• There was a comment in one of the tabloids to the effect that it’s all a government plot to make people spend their money on staycations. The more I think about it though…!

And yes, we’re going to see some off the scale price rises in the coming weeks.

• People staying at home don’t spend a lot – and now no tourists coming to the UK…

• Then go to cafes and order takeaways

• Spaghetti Town says:

Not if you come into Wales you won’t, you’ll get fined!

• Riccatti says:

My first quibble is cost of train tickets. London to Dorset will set you off for 140quid or so..

• I think we paid around £500 last year to get from London to my Mum in Yorkshire, First Class, for the four of us (2 kids in that group).

• Chris Heyes says:

[email protected] ashamed of you lol,
          I travel regularly from Blackburn to Bognor Regis cost around £34 1st Class one way, booked 3 month in advance (i start looking 12 weeks from when i wish to travel)
          used to travel Virgin, before they lost the franchise (Good Breakfast on Train & 1st Class lounge in London bonus)
          I Can tell you (before lockdown) Avanti took over from Virgin late 2019
          From London you can/could buy a family ticket 1st Class up to 2 Adults & up to 4 Children travelling for £100 (at least 1 Adult & 1 child must travel) 6 persons in total though
          I’ve done the journey regular From either Preston-London or Manchester-London
          That special ticket available on most days (no need book 12 weeks in advance)
          So the most should cost for 6 1st Class return Manchester or Preston is £200
          1ST Class was usually almost empty most of the times i traveled (off peak)
          For any cheapskate readers its £50 in plebs class one way, but that’s still for 2 Adults & 4 brats (sorry children) lol

• Chris Heyes says:

[email protected] PS That’s a Special Ticket “Family Ticket only Avanti do it” No railcard discount allowed
          £100 1st Class £50 normal Class but for 6 it’s the biggest bargain on Rail Network
          only checked Blackburn & Preston
          So no idea any other parts of network ?

• Chris Heyes says:

EDIT Preston-London
            Manchester-London
            (Not Blackburn my error)

• Spaghetti Town says:

National Express will set you back about £10 or so

• pauldb says:

Time for the HFP house swap column?

• Spaghetti Town says:

Nothing wrong with that! i fly J and National Express Y.

• Closing down tourism inbound simply means the money being spent is money already in our economy, why would you want to intentionally prevent any inbound tourist spend?

3. Harry T says:

Has anyone successfully cancelled their Tesco Pet Insurance via email?

• Secret Squirrel says:

Cant confirm that Harry but our Ca$#[email protected] has gone confirmed @ £56.00, with the £45 goodwill payment for points not arrived yet its turning out to be a very profitable exercise.
      Just call them up, its very simple and then cancel DD.

• Aston100 says:

How was the goodwill payment arranged? Did you contact customer services via email/phone/something else?

• Secret Squirrel says:

I called up and when advised my bonus points would not be awarded until next Q I requested it be esculated to the complaints dept. Received a call back a few days later and agreed on the goodwill gesture payment which has been received into our bank account.

• Baji Nahid says:

Is £56 the total amount you paid for the insurance?

• No, the £56 is from the place we don’t talk about here, at least not often enough for @Harry T to get his act together.

• Secret Squirrel says:

No, we’ve paid just under £12 so far. We will pay the next i nstallment to get the £56 so less than £16 for £101 return (£56 + £45). No points unless we pay another 3 x installments.

• You now call them and tell them your pet is now better protected by Sainsbury at lower cost with bonus Necrar points…we need then to bring back their offer soon.

• Flying Misfit says:

[email protected]

Although we are sorry to learn you are looking to cancel your policy, we are certainly able to action this request for you via email exchange.So that we are able to do so, please kindly respond to this email with the following information;

· The first line of your address and postcode

· Your pets name

· Your date of birth

• Erico1875 says:

I did it over the phone. Just said I could no longer afford it. As usual as with the mobile network, customer service was brilliant.

4. Andrew says:

France definitely off the cards now with a 14 day quarantine when entering as well.

5. Michael Jennings says:

Has anyone got a refund from Virgin Atlantic in the last couple of months at all? I had a redemption flight HKG-LHR in early April. The flight got cancelled, I requested a refund, they gave me back the points at once, and promised me a refund of the taxes/fees components. A few days later I got an e-mail from their refunds department saying they had received my request for a refund, and nothing at all from them since. An e-mail to them asking what is going on has not been replied to. Should I just request a chargeback?

6. We’ve a holiday booked to Madeira in August, villa with Airbnb and flights with BA. The owner messaged us saying from 1/7, people who can provide a proof with negative covid within 72hrs before arrival can enter Madeira freely or pay to get test done at arrival. I’m hoping we can still go, but understand chance is slim. Especially BA flight is from LGW. The U.K. 14 quarantine rule doesn’t bother me too much, as we can both work from home and kids are on holiday anyway.

• Navara says:

What happens if you test Positive on arrival?

• Lady London says:

you get crated up and shipped back.

• Navara says:

Infecting another plane full of passengers on the way back.
          Stay home
          Or travel to Durham

• Chris Heyes says:

Lady [email protected] In Answer to Friday’s question Yes “DIAGO DARCIA” now an American Base
          Was British human rights most shameful act SHOT their pets in front of them burned their crops told them they were only leaving temporary & could come back shortly that was around 1966
          That was the British not the USA
          Micheal Palin did a documentary on their plight (story) worth a read or wiki
          also a BBC Archive film showing how they lived 1947 as proof they were “NOT MONKEYS”
          Makes me Ashamed

• Chris Heyes says:

EDIT DIAGO GARCIA (not Darcia)

• Lady London says:

outrageous. And yet the British Government continues to lie about it ?

• Charlieface says:

Diego (with an e) Garcia. Yeah it’s a pretty sad story.

• Spaghetti Town says:

The people who made that decision are very likely dead to face up to it now.
            It’s been a British territory since Napelonic days, but yes it’s very shocking what went on.

7. I want to book a companion flight for outbound May and return June 2021. If I book outbound now, how can I add my return leg also on the BA companion voucher given the phone lines are busy?

• You can book it online if you have enough avios and then call to have the voucher applied (i.e. avios refunded) when lines are less busy. I don’t think there is another option.

• BUT … the new rule is that BA does NOT equalise the taxes. This is OK for most destinations, where return = 2 x one-ways, but for North America you pay a HUGE premium for booking 2 x one-ways instead of a return.

• Hi Rob, did you do an article about this? Seems to remember I’ve read something about this before. I’m planning to book 4 CW on 241 to the west coast next year. Would BA re-calculate tax if it’s open jaw, as can’t book it online? Thanks.

• pauldb says:

Yes they will calculate normal return taxes if you call (at midnight or whenever) to add the inbound to your outbound booking, even if open jaw. The problem is only if you make a separate inbound booking online. But no guarantee of 4 CW seats

• Open jaw has no impact. Key is whether you call to add the return (you pay ‘return’ taxes) or you book the return separately online and call to get half the Avios back (pay 2 x one way taxes).

• Thank you! I will have to call anyway, as we don’t have enough Avios to book another four inbound without the 241s. However, just realised earlier, I’ve been calculating the required Avios using the peak First amount (100,000), but we are only planning for CW.

• MattB says:

In my experience they aren’t that busy of late. I got through straight away ringing Japan at 1am a few weeks back and even calling the UK line in the day to cancel some hotel bookings was sorted in less than 10 mins.

8. Michael C says:

So Spain open to tourists as from July…bet those Easyjet flights are..errr…flying off the shelves!

9. I’ve got flights booked on Qatar Airways with Expedia for later this year. I’m looking to take advantage of the current flexibility QR are offering to change dates and destination. I’ve phoned up Expedia to try to change – the first agent seemed to know what I wanted to do and what the rules were, but we got cut off. I then phoned again and got someone who insisted QR’s flexibility was only up until June.

Has anyone managed to do this for an Expedia booking on the current rules?

10. Rossy says:

Can anyone confirm if Revolut will charge any kind of fee/interest if I set up a direct debit from it to pay off my IHG CC balance in full each month? Equally, would a charge be incurred for adhoc payments directly to my IHG account?

• Secret Squirrel says:

Yes, top ups into Revolut from IHG incur fees as soon as they credit so leaving until DD could cost you.

• Rossy says:

Sorry not quite what I meant. I mean will I be charged by Rev for paying IHG, either directly or via a direct debit?

• Revolut doesn’t charge for normal bank transfers by FP. But if most of your funds were deposited by credit card and you bank transfer them out then they may not like it.

• Rossy says:

Out of interest though, do you know the percentage that the fees are charged at for Rev topups?

• If you mean IHG top ups to Rev, it’s a daily interest charge best avoided by paying off straight away (or in advance).

• Secret Squirrel says:

Put yourself in credit by the amount you want to top up, that way you know your not getting charged.

• ashish says:

Then what? transfer to revoult and then to IHG?