Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Sunday 24th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/24/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-sunday-24th-may/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (134)

• TimM says:

Mass air travel appears to be returning mid to late June. We are going to have to wear face masks, do without hand luggage and F&B service and report anyone who sneezes to the cabin crew to take to the quarantine rows at the back.

Greater air intake, no hand luggage, deep cleaning between flights and social distancing may be the end of the low-cost model.

I have seen a device you wear on one’s head that can mix and feed G&T through tubes directly in the mouth, even wearing a mask. The way to go?

• Yorkieflyer says:

Not sure where you get the no hand luggage from?

• Anna says:

That has been reported on various news websites. There was a suggestion that airlines might reduce the price of hold baggage to compensate (yeah, right).

• Optimus Prime says:

There’s been reports on airlines, hotels and restaurants considering a covid19 fee.

• Capt Hammond says:

Emirates sent me an email setting out it’s new procedures for flying. These included no hand luggage onboard. I imagine most other airlines are doing the same.

• Lady London says:

Are they giving back part of the fare you paid then? as they want to reduce tge offering but you have a contract.

i will expect an additional free hold bag if they dont want my hand baggage in the cabin anymore and if that damages my computer, which is a chunky one that theres no problem with as hand baggage currently on any airline Ive booked then i will expect the full cost of any replacement as i am unable to do without it even when travelling.

• Darren says:

In a recent Emirates email they had a list of requirements including –

Bring your own masks and gloves (not mandatory), no or minimal hand luggage, thermal screening, online check in not available, no lounge, maintain social distancing (interested to see how that’s achieved).

• Anna says:

Surely online check in is safer than airport check in?!

• Darren says:

I’m not sure why this was the case? Maybe due to seating restrictions. They also asked for pax’s to check in 4hrs before the flight.

• Lady London says:

so they can run you through a scanner at tgeir checkin desk?

• DMW says:

Am owed a £1,200 refund from Marriott (cancelled 60 days ago, received cancellation email). Checked credit card the other day, to find instead of being refunded, I’d been charged another £1,200. Phoned them and the call centre was unhelpful to say the least. I’ve reported it to Amex Plat. Anything else I should do?

• Oli says:

I’d do a chargeback on both charges.

• Chris1922 says:

Oh wow, that’s a major pain ! I had a £1300 booking with Marriott refunded in three days, after an email to the hotel (in Florida). Due to currency fluctuations, I was refunded c. £1400 !
      Made up for the 20% loss on a BA car hire refund….

• Pierre says:

Just to add my 2-cents here – we also had a big refund due from Marriott which was taking ages, until I requested an email address for the actual hotel from the Marriott twitter team.
      Emailed the hotel direct, and the refund was processed speedily.

• TheThunderer says:

Any one know what BA is doing with cancelled Avios bookings currently? We were supposed to be flying to the Algarve yesterday on Avios. The flight was cancelled weeks ago and we haven’t accepted vouchers. If we do nothing will the Avios and the small amount of cash come back in due course?

• Rhys says:

Give them a call and ask for a refund. The lines are apparently less congested these days.

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Got an avios booking refunded at the start of the month. Total call time was 25 mins, avios back instantly and cash refund credited three weeks later.

• Chris1922 says:

I got through in under a minute yesterday afternoon, did not press any options. I cancelled two redemption itineraries over two weeks ago, I’ve had one lot of taxes back, and only the outbound portion of one of the redemptions returned, hence the call. So 3/4 of all Avios still to be returned, and 50% of all cash refunds too. Agent said it was ” in the queue”. A 2 4 1 used has been returned, with extended date.

• Peggers says:

I know slightly different, but yesterday I got through to Avios (not BA) in 1 minute to get my fees, Avios and Lloyds upgrade voucher returned for cancelled flights in June. Voucher had expiry date of October 2019 but has been extended to end of November 2020.

• eli says:

What! Ba refunded you and extended the Lloyds upgrade voucher? I didn’t even dream they would do that. I must give em a call.
        thanks for that

• Louise K says:

Any idea how long it will take for the sign up bonus to post on Amex Plat once you hit the target spend?

• DJ says:

It has always been within 24 hours for me.

• Louise K says:

Great. Thank you.

We have some unexpected large purchases to make so thought it prudent to maximise some point generating!

• rob says:

I’ve got seats 4E & 4F on a BA 777-300ER flight, but the 4F says COT should I be worried? 1E & 1F are available but seem to recall other reviews saying there can be galley disturbance in row 1. Is there a better choice between the two rows?

• DJ says:

Just a data point – my IHG Ambassador membership has been renewed for a further 3-month period

• Anna says:

My original renewal date was Feb 2021, this has been extended to Oct 2021! Need to get some stays in and actually get the benefits…

• Cal says:

Odd, mine originally was extended to Jan 21 and like the earlier post has been extended to April 21.

• Andrew says:

Likewise – a total of 6 months extra on AMB now. All I’m waiting for still is my Spire choice benefit to be loaded. And yes of course somewhere to actually go to use the benefits! IC at the O2 it is I think!

• ChrisC says:

TBH I’m more than happy with having my Spire extended by a year. Given all the changes to my plans I was going to struggle even to reach the lower target for it.

If I get the 25k points that’s an added bonus but I won’t complain if I don’t.

IIRC in the original emails IHG only mentioned the extension of the status not that they would award points as well. After all if you haven’t actually earned the status why should they give you the points?

• TGLoyalty says:

The email specifically did say you will get a spire choice benefit

“For Spire Elite members this includes the Choice benefit of 25,000 bonus points or gifting of Platinum Elite status to someone each year.”

Is exactly was it says.

• ChrisC says:

Thats good to know. I was basing it on my memory

People just need to give it time to appear then and the emails so say that!

• Craig says:

Mine too which is great, but how do I now get an ambassador weekend certificate??

• TGLoyalty says:

It’s in your online account now. Can only see it via the website rather than in the app.

• Craig says:

No, I’d already used it and was hoping to obtain another in January when I renewed.

• TGLoyalty says:

Ah yeah why this automatic extension stuff doesn’t suit everyone. Tbh I didn’t want the extra 3 months as like you I would have had use for another voucher in summer 2021.

• Maciek says:

Anyone else having issues accessing their Virgin account this morning?

• Maciek says:

*their
      I saw some twitter reports of the same issue, so it’s not just me.

• happeemonkee says:

Couldn’t access it last night, saying incorrect password. Was able to access my booking via the Delta app.

• Jessiefan says:

Got a reply via Twitter from Virgin last night saying they had some issues with Flying Club website

• Spk says:

Anyone upgraded to curve metal but not received their card yet? Curve says it’s due to postal delays. One positive is that my current usage doesn’t seem to be counted against the limits.

• fivebobbill says:

When your card does eventually arrive Spk, and you register it in the app, you will find that all your usage has been reset to zero. At least that’s what happened to me…

• Don says:

Yes waiting nearly 3 weeks now.