The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 26th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/26/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-26th-may/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

LAST DAY: Win 20,000 Avios and get a lifetime discount on SeatSpy's premium tiers
Virgin Atlantic may receive a lifeline bailout under the Government's new 'Project Birch'

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. steve fred says:

Ominous or Innocent? Virgin Atlantic website right now: We’re currently experiencing technical issues with some of our systems, and are aware our Flying Club website is currently unavailable. Our teams are working hard to rectify the issue, so we can get the site back up as soon as possible. We apologise to our members for any inconvenience caused.

2. Charlieface says:

Hanlon’s razor:
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

The site’s been down for a few days already, wouldn’t worry

3. xcalx says:

Does anyone know what economy class Virgin booked award tickets on European KLM flights book into Light (no checked bag ) or Standard ( 1 x 23kg checked bag)

Thanks.

4. Is an article on LATAM bankruptcy coming?

• Unlikely. No longer a oneworld member and also not a European airline to which IAG can be compared!

5. IndiaCharlie says:

Any insight as whether BA will extend 241 beyond 6 months? My exp was April now October but have a Feb holiday to Thailand planned and would be a much better use than CE.

6. Colin MacKinnon says:

Is there a sneaky way?

I want to go to the US West Coast – LAX or San Diego – to see family at New Year. My 241 also expires in October.

If I book the earliest possible – July? – flights to LAX, San Diego, SJC or SFO, and then BA cancels, can I then use the voucher to fly at New Year with the 241?

And am I limited to flights with avios availablity for rebooking? Or am I allowed to choose any?

And am I ,limited to the original airports – say SJC and SFO – and able to swap to LAX and San Diego?

Thanks

• memesweeper says:

I think if your flight is cancelled, and you take a voucher, you will get some flex about destinations. You will need Avios availability for your new flights though. You can book at your leisure over a wide selection of dates.

If you insist on rebooking instead of a voucher you do not need Avios availability but you get no flex in destinations and have a more limited window in which to rebook.

That’s my understanding , although I’ve yet to press ahead with BA customer service and insist on either outcome for my bookings.

• Colin MacKinnon says:

And then the rebooked flight is always cancelable up to 24 before departure?

7. what is the forward window for the rolling cancellations on easyjet network ?

• They want to resume flying in some capacity from 15th June

• what about those flights which dont resume on the 15th?

• No idea. They’ve been grounded for over a month so it’s not clear.

• ok i just asked simon calder – he reckons 8 – 10 days at present which matches my experience last month as well

8. Wally1976 says:

(Hopefully) quick question – if a booked flight (Avios redemption on BA) was moved from Gatwick to Heathrow would that mean you could cancel without losing any Avios or cash? (ie you wouldn’t have to pay the £35 each each way?)

• For rerouting I think London airports are treated as one, so no.

• Lady London says:

BA may consider tbose ‘one’ but I doubt you necessarily have to.

if airport moved then so did flight time to use that to exert your EC261 rights and cancel or move. If flight time didnt move then obviously the new departure point might be harder to reach at that time.

9. Waddle says:

Could someone remind me again if Virgin + Curve payment to Treasury ERNI comes through as a purchase?

Thanks

10. Aston100 says:

I booked a return to JNB for Christmas/New Year this year.
    DUB > CAI > JNB
    Egyptair.
    It’s a new route for the airline, which commences (allegedly) from June.

If for some reason the airline decides not to bother with this route, or else cancels the flights, am I right in presuming they would likely re-route me from London (if the route is dropped by Egyptair) as this is probably the nearest departure point to DUB (I think) or else put me on a star alliance partner airline out of DUB (If Egyptair cancel the flights).

Would I be able to request a reroute via a UK airport such as BHX, on a star alliance partner (preferably Swiss)? Even better, could I ask for the return flight to be from CPT?

Just trying to understand my options in case (hopefully) there are problems with this route.
    Thanks.

• Andrew says:

I would imagine they will put you on a flight from
      Dublin to London to connect with Egyptair. Your chances of being put on another airline out of BHX are approaching zero.

11. Secret Squirrel says:

IHG Ambassador status – do most people get an upgrade when staying at any ihg property booked on points?

• Andrew says:

Ambassador will only get you upgrades at Intercontinental, not other IHG.

• But Ambassador automatically gives you IHG Platinum doesn’t it?

• Lady London says:

if you have Plat then in Europe apparently Crowne Plaza may get upgradee according to reports.

Generally IHG uogrades are unicorns. Ambassador has better chance if an IC. Generally though the only hotel group worse for uogrades is Accor other than possibly Sofitel (unsure about Fairmont).

• Secret Squirrel says:

Strange you say that, on TA comments about lots of people getting upgrade at Sofitel T5.

• Secret Squirrel says:

That doesn’t give you much.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Cheers A, my upgrade plan would be based at an IC.