Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Wednesday 27th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/27/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-wednesday-27th-may/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (102)

• Rich says:

Can anyone tell me where the BA 350s are flying? Was looking at BLR in Jan but looks like it is a 777…

• Rhys says:

Winter schedule (after October) hasn’t been updated to take new aircraft into account. BA will be finalising schedules soonish, but obviously given the current circumstances everything is a bit off kilter!

• JohnT says:

Any info on virgin flying club website and app? Can’t login for last couple of days and message on website saying “technical problems”?

• Alex H says:

I can’t get in either. It’s been like that since yesterday

• Ed says:

I haven’t been able to access since around Friday (nearly a week now) – feels like something big may have happened as even when I phoned they couldn’t access any Flying Club records.

• Chelseafi says:

For those who got the SPG card in Feb is it 1/6 the 3 points per £ ends?

• Hertz says:

Possible that they will amend Selfridge’s AMEX offer if stores reopen to work for in-store spend too? Or highly unlikely

• Rob says:

It may even trigger anyway – Amex may simply be protecting themselves against complaints that they are encouraging you to rush down to the shops. Although, as it will be top designer clothing at 80% off I imagine, I doubt any incentive will be needed ….

Actually, one upside of this is that we might not find ourselves in the usual silly position where the big designer brands roll out their winter coats and jumpers during August when normal people are trying to buy shorts (which were marked down in June).

In my banking days it will always clear which wives were the ones who insisted on breaking off from their summmer holidays to fly back to London in mid August to ensure they got the winter coat they wanted ….

• Doug M says:

Sometimes I feel as if we’ve inhabited different planets.

• Andrew says:

That would be good if the Selfridges offer did extend to/trigger in store come mid-June, most of the high end designer brands aren’t available online. And remember most of the high end brands own their own stock and are just concessions in Selfridges – this stock is part of a global portfolio which they ship around the world at request (I’ve had a Prada bag transferred to Harrods from New York before) – and so the markets which really spend the big money on this stuff (Asia mostly) are already open and up and running and the stock will have been sent there from Selfridges in April. That coupled with the two months lack of production in Italy and France will mean that yes, collections will be delayed this year but there won’t be an over-supply issue and so I wouldn’t expect to see anything higher than the usual 40% discount on the current collections this summer and possibly less so as they will need something to fill the rails if there is a lack of new stock coming in.

• Lumma says:

Why is that a good thing? If stores are usually reducing things when you actually want to buy them then that’s their problem.

• Doug M says:

On random days you could initate the chat thread with a little gem from you banking days, that could draw in a whole new audience.

• jamesj says:

I see Hertz paid its senior execs $16m in bonuses just before declaring bankruptcy, now that’s taking the piss to another level

• Anon says:

Not overly familiar with US Chapter 11 law, but I believe that the administrators can attempt to claw back any payments made up to 90 days before the declaration. Don’t think suppliers / executives need to give back any money legally but they will probably be asked to.

• Paul says:

I had an email from Hertz yesterday extending my status until end of Jan 2022

• Doug M says:

Hertz status seems worthless, maybe you just need a high level. But by being a member and putting the credit card details into my account I get the reserved car and skip the line usually. Do they offer more than that?

• Paul says:

It comes free with my IHG Spire Elite

• Charlieface says:

Depends on the branch in my experience, corporate locations only. Franchised locations forget about it

• Paul says:

Its only 5* and I have only ever rented from them once (LAX last Nov). Which ever main supplier is cheapest for my situation is usually my choice

• Steve R says:

We are due to fly LGW to Dalaman at the beginning of August. Booked them using RFS, even for someone living on the M62 corridor still one heck of a deal.

If, as rumoured BA cancel the LGW flights & move them to LHR, Can we opt to be switched to either EasyJet or Jet 2 and the fly from Manchester or Leeds.

Currently BA do not fly LHR – DLM for our dates

• Rob says:

Zero chance of that unfortunately.

• Anna says:

Have you checked Easyjet prices recently? They were offering MAN-AGP for about £150 return last week for the end of July, that’s half what it normally is. You might want to ditch your RFS flights and grab a cash bargain if that’s duplicated to other destinations. Unfortunately I’m currently locked in to a BA holidays booking for 2 of us with RFS for the other 2 otherwise I might have gone for it!

• Anna says:

Similar price for MAN-DLM depending on which day you want to travel. If you have a bit of flexibility on this I would save yourself the drive to LGW and either get your RFS flights refunded minus the fee or a voucher you can use at a later date.

• Alex says:

Has anyone tried calling AMEX Platinum recently to see if they are still offering 20k retention bonus?

• Hannah says:

I tried yesterday and was told that nothing was available. You may be lucky though!

• Chas says:

I called this morning, and got 15k. I queried it, saying that I knew of several people who had got more, and was told quite clearly that my offer set-up on the system was 15k and she couldn’t improve on that.

• Alex says:

Thanks everyone. Just tried and nothing on my account unfortunately.

• Arnold says:

I paid BA £469 for an upgrade from Traveller + to Club. The flight was cancelled. I have received full refund for the original Traveller + ticket, but BA have deducted £150 from the upgrade refund on the grounds that “administration costs” are excluded from refunds!

• memesweeper says:

That’s *so* poor! I’d write demanding the refund and give them X days to respond with the money, head the correspondence ‘letter before action’. Good luck hope your refund is swift.

• Lady London says:

no they cant grab that.
        It was probably an oversight. suggest you phone and remind them of the circumstances and request the money back