The new HFP chat thread – Sunday 31st May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/31/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-sunday-31st-may/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

ENDS 29th JUNE: Amex Gold has a 20,000 point bonus and you have six months to earn it - should you apply?
British Airways to stop US and Canadian members joining class action lawsuits

EXCLUSIVE HFP READER OFFER FOR SME's!
Get points worth 15,000 Avios as a sign-up bonus!
OFFER ENDS 13th JULY
15,000 Avios with Capital on Tap Mastercard

Comments

1. Taylor says:

Is it right than I can get £200 off John Lewis if I have the offer on main and supp?

Do I have to go into a Waitrose and buy 2 x John Lewis gift cards? Is there a way to do it online?

• Yes, yes, no

There is no such thing as a JL gift card, they are combined Waitrose JL ones.

• Sukes says:

Rob I’m N Ireland based without Waitrose stores : ( Have you any view as to whether a Waitrose voucher purchased online would trigger the Amex credit? Would Amex recognise it as a ‘Waitrose’ purchase or would it end up going through a third party supplier? i know Amex t&c state you’re not meant to get credit for gift card transaction so it would be at own risk. Thanks

• If you try to buy it diverts you to a third party website which presumably does not charge your card as Waitrose.

• bsuije says:

I can confirm that a John Lewis / Waitrose gift card bought online does not come through as a charge from JL / Waitrose (bought one last week – non-Plat offer related).

• Sukes says:

Thks Rob and Bsuije for this clarification re Waitrose evouchers. I was able to save the Amex deal to 4 cards- my main & 3 supplementaries. I made an Apple purchase on one of the gold supplementaries on Thurs and received £100 credit back to that card today Mon at the same time as the card was billed. So as others are noting Amex do seem to be honouring the deals saved to supplementaries.

2. Hypo-Crite says:

Gosh I’ve now cancelled all my trips to the USA after realising how the law enforcements act towards civilians.

To the poster the other day who was bashing on about how the Maldives wasn’t a safe place to visit due their laws, i felt that exact same way about the USA too! 😨

• Dominic Barrington says:

Except, sadly, it’s not the laws – it is the disregard for the law shown by its officials! Speaking as a Brit currently living in Chicago, it is kind of mind-blowing…

• Callum says:

I was looking forward to visit again after my self-imposed exile ends at three removal of Trump. Doubts were already forming as I realise that, Trump or not, it’s an immoral cesspit but this has sealed the deal for the indefinite future. Canada it is!

• Henry says:

Imagine not going to see a beautiful place full of millions of people like the USA because of a president that you’ll never see anyway. 😂😂

• Baji Nahid says:

People actually are not visiting the USA because of trump, many reasons @Henry

1)He’s made it harder for many people to enter the country
          2)He’s racist and it doesn’t appeal to folk
          3)Because you have the privileged to visit a place like the USA others don’t
          4) Just because you dont see a world leader, does not mean that his actions and policies affect folk.

• Henry says:

That’s just your own opinion.
            None of what you claimed is true.

• Baji Nahid says:

all of what i have claimed is true, unless you can provide me with what racism means?

• He literally tells black congresswomen to “go back to where you came from”.

And he doesn’t mean NY or Ohio where they were born, he means some unspecified country in Africa or Central America.

Helpfully he tweets these racist tropes so that apologists can’t say his words were taken out of context.

• Aston100 says:

And yet the Henrys of this world will certainly dispute that.

• Henry says:

I wonder how many of you lot go to China or Cuba and don’t think twice about the lovely people who run those countries.

• Baji Nahid says:

Ken some people will always continue to be blinded by racism because of their privilege, you can only feel sorry for them.

• Henry says:

I do have pricipals or principles, I just don’t watch as much CNN as you do and i go to America often and find most people to be lovely (including Trump supporters) and not racist.

• Callum says:

I was hoping, at a time like this, people like you would feel less empowered to come out of the woodwork. Shame.

I’m not going to try and explain why someone would put the sanctity of life above their own self interest. If you don’t understand it on your own, you never will. Not that I’d expect anyone who genuinely believes it’s possible to be a nice person while supporting Trump to understand. On this topic actually I often cite BlacKKKlansman – the seemingly nicest person in the whole film is one of the evil KKK housewives. A perfect demonstration of how, while people may SEEM nice, that is not necessarily the case .

And no, China and Cuba are not on my banned list. Perhaps it escaped your notice, but the leadership there are not democratically elected enjoying widespread support. That being said, having been to America 11 times (and having been manhandled and dragged off my feet by police), it’s no major loss to me.

• Baji Nahid says:

I am so sorry to hear your experience with the police callum, i mentioned above that those who are privileged by never experiencing racism, police brutality, violence and unfair death will never understand.

However if anyone does object to the above being challenged then it proves my point. The World has a race problem and it needs to be dealt with ASAP.

• Callum says:

Thankfully I am white and British – it was nothing compared to what so many others go through (just a shock coming from peaceful Britain!). I dread to think what they would have done if I was black and/or had a “strange” accent!

And my major crime? I caught a bus, half asleep, at 6am after arriving on a long flight. Purchased a one week ticket from the machine that was dispensed pre-activated (i.e. the expiration time was printed on the ticket – you can’t save it for later) and sat down on board. Two police came on board checking tickets and yelled at me saying it wasn’t activated properly. While apologising saying I didn’t realise, one of them grabbed my collar, pulled me to my feet and half dragged me off the bus. After releasing my collar he told me to put the ticket in the validator and that I’m meant to do that before getting on any bus.

Of course, as we’ve seen on so many videos, his partner just stayed mute in the background watching.

• See you in Canada Callum! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that we are able to relocate in August. We might even catch the tail end of BC summer…

• Callum says:

Enjoy! I’m considering doing the same thing if Australia doesn’t work out (what perfect timing to make a move…).

• Baji Nahid says:

I really do think that as the corona virus battles on and what is happening in the states, there will be a much more reduction in US visits/flights/

• Callum says:

Are you a liar or a fool?

3. davvero says:

It’s June now, the LCY website as yet hasn’t been updated. It still says it’s closed May, is anyone operating there in June?