Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Monday 1st June

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/06/01/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-monday-1st-june/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (245)

• Martha says:

Are the virgin points from Morrisson instore spend still coming through? I have a large amount still pending back from then

• Connor says:

Most people said there’s have been credited now, but with Virgin’s latest IT issues it may have stopped them being approved for now.

• TM says:

Good Morning,

Looking for a hotel on points in Ibiza Town. Obvious choice is Curio as I am Hilton Diamond with 400k+ honors points but it is currently showing 203K per night… keeping an eye on it.

Any other options on the island people would recommend? (ideally Ibiza town but flexible if required) Couple in early 30’s no kids.
    Avios flights already secured from Manchester end of August/early September

Thanks

• Anna says:

Spain seems to keep changing its mind about whether they are going to let us in or not this summer. Unless our infection rate keeps dropping at least at the same rate as it is now (and all bets are off after this weekend, IMO), it’s far from certain we’ll be allowed back.
      I’ve been to Ibiza once and struck lucky as we were booked into an apartment complex at the far end of Sant Josep (I think, it was 10 years ago!) and they put us in a private cottage in the grounds which was utterly idyllic. We will definitely go back but not while we’re paying school holiday prices!

• TM says:

Thanks Anna. I agree with you and everything is very flexible at the moment (including the avios booking) so will keep an eye on the ever evolving situation!

Appreciate the advice on the accommodation as well.

• Peter K says:

Sounds like all the basic rooms gone at the curio.

• TM says:

Yep. 95,000 a few days ago but looks like they have been snapped up.

• marcw says:

I think you are a little bit too late for the party. June through September is VERY HIGH season in Ibiza. Expect to pay A LOT.

• Anna says:

I’ve been tentatively looking at villas in Andalucia where prices are usually lower than the Balearics (very unlikely that we’ll be going but I need the distraction!). Prices seem to start around 4000 euros for 2 weeks!

• Peter K says:

Another bad sign for Virgin Atlantic. The penultimate vault on the Virgin Red app has been 40k Flying Miles for years. This month it is not. Admittedly it is all sponsored by Virgin Sport this month but still suspicious.

• Luda says:

Has anyone tried to get a voucher refund with the £10 over the phone for easyJet? I’ve got a flight back from Spain on the 17th of June that I no longer need and was wonder what wait times are like at the minute?

• Thomas says:

Hi,

one question regarding BA at Gatwick. A colleague of mine is flying to Spain with BA early July. His flight was moved from Heathrow to Gatwick S Terminal. Has BA changed their position re Gatwick? I thought they were closing it down for now.

• Rhys says:

BA never announced their plans for Gatwick – we are still waiting for an official word. However, I suspect they will stay at Gatwick in some form or another. It makes more sense to close the Heathrow T3 operation.

• 1nfrequent says:

Is anyone else having problems accessing the Aer Lingus app? It hasn’t worked for me for about a month and every time I try to access on-line, I get caught in a password reset loop.

I’m wondering if this is tied to the fact that they unilaterally transferred a load of Avios to my BA account around the same time.

1F

• Tony says:

BA AMEX 2 for 1 credit card voucher – is this awarded when £10k is hit, or at the end of the calendar year? Thinking about strategy – would it be wise to drag out my spending (which I can do) so that it is awarded as late as possible, giving myself max time to redeem?

• Rhys says:

When you cross the £10k spend. Whether you drag it out or not depends on your strategy. If you are planning on keeping the card long term then it may be worth it, if you have a specific date in mind for redemption (remember the vouchers are valid 2 years on the premium card). If you are planning on cancelling and getting a pro-rata refund of the annual fee, you may be less keen to drag it out!

• fivebobbill says:

Worth noting that currently you get an extra 6 months on your voucher (2.5 instead of 2 years) if you trigger it before the end of June. Worth doing the calculations as it woks for me.
        My year end is August 2020, if I leave my voucher trigger until the last minute it will expire August 2022. However if I trigger it early at the end of June 2020, it’ll give me an extra 4 months, expiring date of December 2022!

• meta says:

Question regarding use of BA travel voucher. Can it be used for paying taxes on reward flights?

• Anna says:

Hi meta, is a cash-only voucher (i.e. not cash and avios rolled up)? I got a voucher for a cancelled car hire booking; I had to make a new booking (which was an avios booking for next year to NYC), then email BA holidays, who then refunded the voucher amount to my BAPP. So yes, if you’ve got the same kind of voucher that I had!

• meta says:

It’s a cash-only voucher for a flight. It was my partner’s work-related trip (employer is not interested in having this money back or used on a future trip 😂) and we also used Amex offer for 3k Avios, so didn’t want a cash refund. We still don’t, so I’d like to use the voucher on one of our Avios reward bookings if possible as we are not booking anything non-refundable at the moment.