The new HFP chat thread – Monday 1st June

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/06/01/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-monday-1st-june/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Nominate a coronavirus hero for a free 2-night hotel stay via Small Luxury Hotels
Here's the full HFP index of articles for May 2020

EXCLUSIVE HFP READER OFFER FOR SME's!
Get points worth 15,000 Avios as a sign-up bonus!
OFFER ENDS 13th JULY
15,000 Avios with Capital on Tap Mastercard

Comments

1. Richard says:

Hi all, I want to make a t -355 booking tomorrow morning but using a book with confidence voucher. Looks like I need to wait until 8am and call the general number. Are there any ways around this?

2. Waddle says:

To readers who have downgraded to Gold charge – does the 10k for £15k annual bonus still apply to this card? Or is it exclusive to the Gold credit?

• paulm says:

Yes you get it. Note if you downgrade before your year end, it gives you a short deadline to complete the spend. For example my account anniversary was October but I downgraded in July so it only gave me 3 months to spend before it re-set. Not sure if thats how it is supposed to work, but I was not going to spend £15K anyway so did not take it up with Amex

3. Jonathan says:

My reward flights to/from Dubai next week with BA has been cancelled. In MMB i can select new dates but just not Friday\Saturday\Sunday next April or May. Would there be any reason for this? As far as i know this is the re-book any flight as long as there are cash seats available option so avios availability shouldn’t be required.

• That’s also what I thought. I also didn’t think peak / off-peak came into it either. Odd.

• babyg says:

I found with AVIOS cancellations it would often take he MMB system days to update correctly, this can be overridden by any of the (good) call centre people (i moved a LHR-SYD reward from OFF-PEAK to PEAK without issues after cancelling by calling – but failed when i tried to use MMB)

• memesweeper says:

See my earlier comment Jonathan — I have a booking that is cancelled and I cannot rebook online despite availability of tickets for sale. My issue isn’t caused by Avios availability , as it’s not an Avios booking. No idea what’s up, but I think it would be fair to guess this system was rushed into service and may have the odd bug.

I’m going to call tomorrow again and see if there’s a *reason* I can’t rebook, as opposed to a purely online difficulty.

4. Shopper Thoughts – the survey website where you used to get clubcard points after each survey changed to needing to save up 1,000 to redeem for either clubcard points or other vouchers.

Has anyone else had trouble redeeming for clubcard points since the change? It always says “waiting approval” when I add my clubcard number even though I used to get a handful of points this way.

• Craig says:

Redeemed a few times over the last year or so without problem. Surveys seem to have dried up though?

5. Hi mine and my wife’s GC expires 8th June and not hit the renewal target, missed by a wide margin unsurprisingly. Just curious as to whether anyone has managed to get BA to grant a status extension or is it simply not worth the hassle

• The 30% cut-off seems to be sticking, so you’d need 1050 points.

I get a sneaky feeling that BA wants to get the number of status holders well down, because it is the only way to empty out the lounges. The alternative is even worse – daily fights with status card holders who can’t access a lounge because they are full. I assume that ticketed business and First passengers will be guaranteed access and it becomes pot luck for shiny cards.

6. Billy Nicholson says:

HI guys, does anyone know how far out Cathay reward seats appear on BA.com?
    Thanks

• Andrew says:

I was looking at March last week and lots of availability in all cabins. BUT it varies on where you’re flying to FROM HKG ie LHR-HKG no availability showing, LHR-HKG-SIN showing lots of availability on the same date which means there are Avios seats on LHR-HKG but not showing. Not sure if calling BA can book them but on line you can’t.

• Billy Nicholson says:

Interesting…I am looking at Apr21.
        I am booked HKG-LHR with BA but need to get to HKG from Australia.
        Nothing showing with Cathay yet.

• Billy Nicholson says:

I thought it was just a date thing as up to mid March the route I want is showing on BA.com

• marcw says:

CX has married segment logic.

• Two issues here. 1. CX availability has always come and gone so it has always been wise to check regularly. 2. There has often been issues with displaying and booking CX flights in BA so monitor availability elsewhere and call BA if need be.

• Yorkieflyer says:

I have booked avios CX flights more than 355 days in advance via the BA call centre a couple of years ago

• Billy Nicholson says:

Will I have to create a CX account to check reward availability elsewhere – ie on their website?

7. Brian S says:

Has anyone received their IHG status extension yet?

I achieved Spire a few weeks ago through CC spend but wondered if there were any data points for a further extension and Spire benefits (extra 25k points)

Or am I just being greedy 🙂

• Some people have been extended already while others are waiting for IHG to get to their accounts, IHG stated this would take time. AFAIK, nobody has yet received a 25K Spire choice benefit that they dId nit qualify for via stays.

8. Aston100 says:

If I want to go to Sri Lanka next summer, and try to get use out of a companion voucher, what would be the recommended route?
    I presume use the companion voucher for a return flight to somewhere in India, and then a Shorthaul return to CMB?
    Thanks

• You may be better of flying to somewhere like Kuala Lumpur and then taking Malaysia Airlines to Sri Lanka. Oneworld. Hong Kong (Cathay) is a little further. In both cases you’re backtracking. Up to you really

• KUL is more avios than HKG. BKK has the best connection choices to CMB (Sri Lankan, Thai, Air Asia, Bangkok Airways) but in normal times award seats are harder to find.

• Dominic Barrington says:

MH’s way of dealing with the pandemic has – to my mind – been particularly poor. I’d not trust them booking this far out at all.

• Easy from Maldives, India, ME or seAsia. An excellent opportunity to do a two-centre vacation if you the time.

9. Question on the Amex £100 – do you need to spend the whole 100 before it credits??

Spent £40 on Friday and no sign of a credit yet

• Andrew says:

You don’t need to. As per the email from Amex they will credit you each time up to a total of £100 over all. If you spend £10 now you will get £10 back now, if you spend £50 next week, you will get £50 back then and so on. And each refund shows as that retailer rather than a lump sum. Of course for once it’s in Amex’s interest if you don’t actually spend the full £100 so they won’t be pushing you to.

10. Marcel says:

Hi all,
    Just been downgraded today to Bronze, anyone know how many tier points I would need to get back to Silver?does it have to be the full 600 TP? Thanks

11. If I make a chargeback on an amex card for a cancelled flight not refunded by airline and then cancel that card, what will happen?

• Crafty says:

Should carry on as before. Both my chargebacks for Ryanair have been on a card long ago cancelled. However I would explicitly speak about this with customer service when cancelling.