The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 2nd June

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/06/02/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-2nd-june/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

News: BBC and ITV on the British Airways redundancies, LAST DAY for the Heathrow Rewards transfer bonus to Avios
What is the British Airways On Business points redemption chart?

EXCLUSIVE HFP READER OFFER FOR SME's!
Get points worth 15,000 Avios as a sign-up bonus!
OFFER ENDS 13th JULY
15,000 Avios with Capital on Tap Mastercard

Comments

1. Not sure if it helps anyone and notwithstanding:

Coronavirus
    Tension in USA
    UK 14 day quarantine
    Ban on UK nationals entering USA

It looks like BA have added lots of First availability for LHR to/from LAX for July & August 2020.

2. Publishing of quarantine details being delayed until tomorrow; Home Sec possibly bending to pressure from the travel industry?

• Harry T says:

Maybe another member of the government has been caught journeying to Barnard Castle and they need another headline to run interference?

• marcw says:

While Germany is lifting EU “non-essential travel recomendation within EU” from tomorrow 🙂

• With today’s death rate, most countries would ban British anyway

• Andrew says:

Today BA cancelled my late July flight to JFK, reducing frequency to twice daily. So it seems BA aren’t optimistic.

3. I have a flight from Belfast via Heathrow to San Francisco on 30 June. Any idea of whether British Airways will operate the flight?

• It might go, but unless you have a US passport I can’t see you getting in. Very unlikely the US will change its rules within 4 weeks.

4. OT: Does anyone know how the complimentary Gold/Siver cards work for GGL members? Do they upgrade current Exec club accounts? Do they last for exactly 12 months, or the rest of the exec club year?
    Thanks

• Better than that. You get all of the current membership year PLUS all of the following year.

However, due to a quirk in how they are processed, you should only do it after the end of persons current card year. What do I mean? If the person has a year-end of 8th June and a card year-end of 31st July, don’t do the upgrade until 1st August. If you do it in the first 7 weeks of the membership year, it will only process as one year and not two.

Important – in theory you don’t get a soft landing with these, it is straight back to Blue. In reality, if you do the 4 x cash segments on BA in your second year, you seem to get a soft landing.

None of the above is BA policy but is how they work in practice.

5. Wally1976 says:

Formula 1 have announced a race schedule today with two races at Silverstone, the first of which (weekend of 31st July – 2nd August) does not have a 14 day gap following the Hungary race. I’m interested to know how they’re getting around the UK quarantine!?

6. Came across this photo of a BA 777-200 with some sests removed to carry cargo. Personally I found it sad, and mildly eerie too for some reason.

7. I’d hired a classic car for a weekend away for my husband’s birthday in July. Just had an email from the hire company asking for the full balance as the Yorkshire Dales will be open from July 4th! Have they got access to inside information, or perhaps a crystal ball? Or has it been decided that North Yorkshire is near enough to County Durham that we can go to test our eyesight?

• Perhaps they sent the email to test your eyesight Anna.

• Navara says:

Yorkshire Dales are open now you can have a drive around but you will have to go back home to sleep

• Darren says:

You can have a haircut, made an appointment at my usual place for the 5th July. Not too far from Barny either.

What car have you hired, something old or something new?

• Aston100 says:

Something borrowed or something blue?

• I don’t think that’s been officially announced yet, has it? Surely they will have to wait and see if infection rates continue to fall.

But Aston Martin DB7. Bond is our guilty pleasure!

• Darren says:

It was a suggested earliest opening date, so not official as such but many are gearing up for a start on that date.

Very nice choice, if it was me I’d keep the booking and explore the winding roads

8. Gary Colclough says:

Question re BAPP companion vouchers

my card renewal date is late Jan which is not always convenient to make the vouchers fit our travel plans

Is there a way that this can be changed?

Also If I make the required spend early in the year can I cancel card and then apply for a new one to start again, I know I won;t get the sign up bonus

Thanks

• Only way to change that date is to cancel the card and apply again at a time that suits you. You can downgrade to a free blue card after getting the voucher but that will not change the date. Nothing to stop you cancelling BAPP after getting the voucher but you will need to have (or have access to) another amex card to book using the voucher.

• Gary Colclough says:

Thanks, the new card would be back before I need to use them

• That’s risky, they could decline your application. An easier solution is to apply for the free everyday card or ARCC now, or get a supp on partner or close family card, or use partbers card to make the booking if they have an amex.

9. i have a amex platinum charge card. the one that costs £575 per annum. i contacted amex in november 2019 and changed my email address. they informed me it would also be passed on to priority pass. well, here we are in june 2020 and priority pass website shows my old email address. amex tell me they’ve sent the updated data feed to priority pass. priority pass say they have received nothing from amex and won’t update the email address since “it’s provided by the bank”. i opened a ticket with amex repeatedly which they repeatedly close once they have sent the update to priority pass – even though i have no way of knowing its actually been sent and no way of forcing priority pass to act upon said information. how can i get this fixed ?

• Reporting both the platinum card and prioritity pass cards as lost might get it fixed indirectly.

• Matty says:

I have a similar issue with Radisson. They merged two accounts that I had with them, keeping one of the account numbers. Unfortunately, Amex have the other account number. This is the one Amex Plat has given me status on. It doesn’t exist anymore.

Radisson say Amex must update my new details on their system. Amex say they can’t. They did send a note to Radisson once but nothing came of it.

• Lady London says:

call again, make sure you are talking to brighton not philippines in and get transferred to brughton if not.

Tell Amex Pp are being obdurate and ask Amex to email you a copy of whatever they sent Amex, to tell Amex again with a cc to you thus time, otherwise have them email you to confirm theyve sent the change to Pp mentioning old and new email addresses.

is this stopping you using PP or making it less convenient? Its hard to justify the Amex Plat benefits as being worth £575 now so I’d suggest you ask thrm about refunding 1/3rd of your monthly fee for all the months this goes on. They should give you something.

10. Matthew says:

Sorry if already mentioned – EZY have just adjsuted their schedules and frequencies for summer 2020. Lots of flights pulled so expect cancellation emails soon. One thing I have noticed which may be lucrative for some, they are letting those with cancelled flights change to any other flight in the network for any available date for no fare difference. So if you’d booked a £40rtn to AMS and it gets cancelled, you can then switch to Greece or Geneva in school hols for example with no fare difference. That’s pretty tempting. Shame July 2021 dates not out until Aug 3rd though….

• Harry T says:

Yes, used this to grab Easter flights to Prague for no additional cost.

• Aston100 says:

Not applicable to their longest routes such as Turkey, Morocco etc

11. TonyG says:

Advice please. I booked easyjet for the summer for my family. The same flights are now priced at £400 cheaper. What can I do?

• marcw says:

Hope the flight gets cancelled.

A few years ago, easyJet had a “plan” that allowed you to get the difference in the form of a voucher, in case the price of your flight goes down. I believe it is still the case, but only for easyjet plus customers.

• A lot of people are going to be in a similar position. Who could have foreseen when we all booked our eye-wateringly expensive school summer holiday jaunts that airlines and travel companies would be desperately slashing rates at this point? It did cross my mind that I could cancel my BA flights and re-book with a LCC but if we do end up travelling this summer the smaller City Flyer aircraft seem a safer option in terms of passenger capacity.