Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 2nd June

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/06/02/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-2nd-june/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (183)

• Jay H says:

Had the £100 back saved on my supplementary & primary Platinum Card and have received the money back on spend on supplementary and primary

• Billy Nicholson says:

I am just wondering what the rules/catches are RE cash refunds for cancelled flights? I am booked to fly to Turkey with Easyjet on 19th June but haven’t heard from them. Should I expect them to cancel on 5th June as that is their 14 days cut off to get out of compo? Should I do anything sooner to secure a cash refund? Thanks in advance.

• Charlieface says:

If the flight is not cancelled you depend on their goodwill

• Billy Nicholson says:

I am expecting it to be cancelled as it is not bookable on the website and they announced flights starting 15th June but only domestic UK. I can’t seem them starting up flights to Turkey just 4 days later…I just want to know if I should sit tight and wait for cancellation or do something else?

• Anna says:

Are you entitled to a cash refund under the current EasyJet policy if you cancel? If not, then there’s nothing you can do to secure one until/unless Easyjet cancels. Insurance might cover it if FCO advice is still in place not to travel.

• Sam says:

Hello Rob and all,

Hoping for some advice, I haven’t managed to keep up with the postings recently so apologies if these questions have already been addressed previously. I am a first time BA Amex 2-4-1 voucher recipient which was booked for later this year. This will need to be cancelled and I will ring BA – however my BA Amex credit card has been cancelled (as well as all my Amex cards for the 2 year waiting period). Therefore the taxes paid with this card, how can BA refund me – I have found somewhere in a FAQ page they state ‘If you need to cancel your booking and your card details have changed, please be aware that unfortunately we’re unable to send any refundable amounts to a different credit card than the one that originally paid for your flights – so you’ll need to contact the original card provider to arrange to receive the money.’ Is this the only way? How does this work – I have seen other companies say they have to issue a cheque.

Also – am I right to assume that the Avios and BA voucher will go back to my BA account and I will be able to see them when I log in and then in the future when I rebook I could use my partners Amex card to pay the taxes (if I still no longer have an Amex in my name)?

Many thanks
    Sam

• Rhys says:

Although you have cancelled your Amex, BA should still be able to refund you to that card and Amex should debit you that amount. You may have to get in touch with Amex, however.

And yes, any Amex will do when making a redemption using the 2-4-1.

• Lumma says:

If you get a refund to a cancelled AMEX, they’ll send you a letter with your options for recieving the money back, probably have to be a bank transfer of you’ve got no other accounts with them and have cancelled any direct debit

• Anna says:

This happened to me – Amex were quite helpful but I did have to upload a bank statement as ID before they would send the money over. You can do this by taking a photo of your statement and uploading it, though, it was quite straightforward. You will be charged £35 pp cancellation fee by BA as well if you’re cancelling the booking rather than them.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Can take up to 10 x working days for the refund to hit your bank account, I’m on day 7.

• Colin MacKinnon says:

If you don’t need to cancel now – in other words you don’t need the cash refund, the Avios or indeed the 241 right now – remember that you can cancel up to 24 hours before the first flight.

And there’s a chance BA will cancel or significantly change the flight times before then – which would save you the £35 per person cancellation fees!

• N says:

Rob/Rhys – No blackout today?

• David says:

Just had BA CW Avios tickets to Vegas for July cancelled – part of an open jaw returning from LA.

If I still wish to go, but am happy to just push the dates out by a year to next summer, is there an easy / simple way of getting BA to do this other than me just cancelling the whole ticket and re-booking as and when the Avios availability opens up for Summer 2021?

• Isobel Brown says:

Apologies if this has already been covered.
    12 days ago I contacted BA customer service to cancel a 2-4-1 Rewards flight booking as the return leg had already been cancelled by BA.
    There are Avios, 2-4-1 voucher and quite a lot of cash to be refunded.
    To date nothing. Any idea of current timeframe for this?

• Chris1922 says:

Similar position some 4 weeks ago, 3/4 of Avios have since been refunded, and 50% of cash. I called to chase up last week, the agent said my refunds were in the queue and I should just hold tight, they do seem to be coming in dribs and drabs. To be fair, they have quite a few refunds to work through !
      I’d wait another two or thee weeks yet.

• Anna says:

Did you specifically request all the elements to be refunded rather than a voucher? It’s unusual for the avios and 2 4 1 not to appear within a couple of days. You might want to chase this up as I think different departments deal with avios and cash refunds. I had a similar problem in March where BA just kept saying my avios and 2 4 1 were stuck in the system due to an IT problem and eventually ended up forcing them through manually (fortunately it was a F booking and the excellent YouFirst CSA jumped through a few hoops to do this for me!)
      As Chris1922 says, it’s taking a lot longer for cash to arrive.

• rahaney says:

Anyone have good experience with a particular HSBC insurance/investment product to go with the World Elite card??

• rahaney says:

That’s the Premier Bank account requirement in addition to the spend. Cheers

• YH says:

The investment product is only a requirement if you are signing up with the £75k+ salary eligibility. If you are signing up with £50k+ savings then no need to pick an investment product.

You have 6 months from opening your Premier account to pick an investment product. I personally went with a S&S ISA and invested in a HSBC portfolio.

• rahaney says:

Thanks, this looks reasonable. Did HSBC remind you to get a product within the 6m btw?

• YH says:

I signed up for the S&S ISA about a month or so after I joined Premier so don’t have info on that unfortunately.

• Memesweeper says:

Do you have adequate life insurance? We needed to top ours up at the time of taking on Premier.

• rahaney says:

Yes I was looking at this but it doesn’t get the best defaqto rating. How’s your experience been with it??

• Lady London says:

erm…not sure how @memesweeper would be able to report back on any claims experience on that…!

• Dave Barron says:

Apologies if already discussed but I’ve just noticed Virgin App now working (and updated with Apple Face ID) – I can confirm all points present and correct!

• Travel Strong says:

Same here. All working now. Down for a week to add biometric sign in 😂

• stevenhp1987 says:

Can now login… Missing my 11,250 points from my VS+ card that supposedly transferred on the 24th May…