Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Wednesday 3rd June

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/06/03/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-wednesday-3rd-june/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (187)

• Jonathan44t says:

Is there a way to get out of a flight I no loner want to take?

Have tickets to Lisbon for a weekend at the end of June with TAP. Purpose of the trip no longer valid due to Covid and, in spite of the BBC article welcoming UK citizens, I’m not sure I fancy going flying with a mask and going to be locked down.

Any chances I can recover these tickets / forfeit them? What options do I have? Airline hasn’t cancelled flights. Paid with a Plat last year before this whole mess started if that helps.

Thanks

J

• Rhys says:

TAP are likely to have some flexibility – have you checked what their policy is at the moment? You probably won’t be able to get a refund but you may be eligible to take a voucher.

• Jonathan44t says:

Should’ve mentioned I booked with Lastminute, though their website has standard wording for any refunds to be pursued directly with the airline. So haven’t tried calling TAP yet.

Would plat insurance not cover this given FCO guidelines not to travel? Vouchers admittedly would be better than nothing, but only marginally in my case as I no longer need to fly to Portugal.

• Jonathan44t says:

Thanks for the reply, didn’t even know this document existed!

Based on my reading of that PDF, is the following correct: If an airline is willing to offer refund in the form of voucher/free change of flight, your claim to insurance is automatically invalidated.

Saw that TAP has the voucher, or free exchange option on their website, but I have use for neither. I guess the insurance company won’t care when it comes to this? Would be a massive bummer.

TAP also has a requested to ‘original form of payment’ but I’m guess I can’t trigger this if the flight hasn’t been cancelled yet?

• Rhys says:

Yes, it appears so. Lisbon is a lovely city, I’m sure you’ll be able to make use of the vouchers somehow!

• Oh! Matron! says:

Aeroflot are offering nothing but full forfeiture for a flight in July, so thanks for sharing this. IO was going to pursue it through Expedia, but I know MMMV, so back to Amex we go 🙂

• Rui N. says:

You can take a voucher valid for 2 years (I think!) with a 20% bonus. I think you can even do it online. But hurry, TAP is starting to fly a lot more routes pretty soon, so it is likely that they remove that offer soon(ish).

• Charlieface says:

Sit it out a bit longer, they might still cancel flights

• AG says:

Yep, I would advise to wait. Also they do not email to tell you if your booking is cancelled, you need to check yourself in manage my booking.

Our various flights in June and July have all been cancelled (all LHR-LIS), the most recent one was only cancelled 5 days prior to departure. I was unsuccessful getting them to refund over the phone, so have put in charge-backs through Amex. Has been a nightmare compared to the BA flights I had, so an incentive to always use BA in future…

If they’ve not cancelled 3-5 days before the flight is due to depart, I’d go the voucher as noted above.

• James says:

Do people think Amex have any more platinum offers in the pipeline? Similar to the £100 credit recently

• Michael C says:

Easyjet IOM flights suspended indefinitely (despite Easyjet offering them as from June 18!)

• AndyK says:

BA cancelled European flights in July. If I want to take an option of rebooking for a later date how far in the future can it be? EU261 just says future date

• jc says:

At your earliest convenience, which I’d interpret to be whenever you like. You’d have a hard time getting it beyond the ~355 days ahead that they’re currently selling tickets, but within that I’ve never had a problem in the past (after a little persuasion)

• John says:

Cannot find any BA First reward flights to Dubai or Abu Dhabi for April/May 2021.
    Been looking for weeks.
    Anyone seeing same issues for other destinations?
    Thanks

• Ian M says:

Hey everyone. As I had hoped, BA just cancelled my redemption booking to South America in July in F. I understand I can now rebook on any date on the same route regardless of redemption availability? Do I have to call to do this or can it be done online?

• Rob says:

Try to do it online. If that fails, ring You First – shouldn’t be much wait, if any.

• MarcB says:

I had a BA voucher redemption (a trip Japan in late Apr – out in Business, return in First) cancelled *and* refunded automatically really early on (early Apr).
        Much chance of me being able to call up & rebook regardless of availability in a similar fashion?

• Umba says:

Ian,

I had Tokyo flights in First cancelled for mid June. Called YouFirst (0800 408 7667) and they helped and rebooked me on a JAL service for November.

Hope this helps…….

• Matthew says:

Did it matter whether the it was a peak or off peak date originally booked in avios? Just wondering if I book off peak First to Tokyo and it got cancelled, would I be able to choose any date for the re route or off peak one’s only? Thanks

• Umba says:

Our original booking was off peak and believe new booking is off peak. Not sure whether they’d have rebooked to peak though. Sorry I can’t be more help. I was quite stunned we were allowed to rebook onto a JAL service as original was BA with Avios and BAPP 2-4-1.

• Ian says:

Cool, thanks guys

• YH says:

Looks like BA have started cancelling July flights. BA cancelled my flights to SCL from mid-July in F this morning. I will call You First for a cash refund.

I paid separately after the initial booking to upgrade from J to F (cash). I think I remember reading on here that people were having trouble getting BA to refund any upgrade amount. Does anyone have more info on this?

• Andrew says:

Yes they aren’t refunding any ‘admin fees’ such as upgrade costs I think, although they are refunding seat assignments (not that you need to pay that in First anyway)

• AG says:

Yep I got seat fees back without even asking… although they came a month later than the main bit of the refund. Was a nice surprise!

• YH says:

Just got off the phone with YouFirst. They offered to refund the flight including the paid upgrade, no problem at all there.

I did encounter a strange issue, the total refund amount they initially offered me was ~£2k above what I had originally paid in total including the upgrade. I was very tempted to just accept the amount but did point out the discrepancy. The representative then added up the transactions manually and was still about ~£100 over what I paid. She said she would send this to a refund team to investigate and I should get the full amount back to my card in 7-10 business days. Fingers crossed!

• EJH says:

Can you wait until after a cancelled BA flight is due to be flown to rebook for a later date (within 365 days of original ticketing date)? Thanks.

• Rob says:

You can’t move a flight further out than 355 days from day you originally paid for it. This is a global issue with how airline ticketing systems work. If you booked in November 2019 for a flight in June 2020 it can’t be moved further than November 2020. Any further extension requires a cancellation and rebooking (which, admittedly, the agent will probably do seamlessly on the phone).