Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Friday 5th June

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/06/05/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-friday-5th-june/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (220)

• Wing It One World says:

Has anyone heard further updates from BA and status extensions ?

June the 8th is fast approaching, what about July August and September, surely they must get a squeeze on loyalty now.

• Rob says:

It is not impossible that BA is actively trying to weed out status card holders as it knows that it cannot continue to run its lounges at their historic capacity. It would be a nightmare if BA ended up denying lounge access to status card holders due to lounges hitting their capacity levels.

• BJ says:

I think they should amend your queue 1 to WTP, CW and F, and directed the rest to Boots. Problem solved 😉

• BJ says:

Only if they start cooking my bacon roll to order, I do like it crispy!

• Polly says:

Love these thoughts you two, had me laughing out loud. Great imagination! Hope those thoughts don’t come back to haunt us one day in the future. Some smart Alec in BA remembering your idea and suggesting it!

• Doug M says:

Status is about more than lounges. BA have managed to make BAEC a very good FFS, I think they’ll be very keen to retain its benefits, as they know how to maximise its value. Cutting swathes of members to limit lounge access could represent a big risk, those people disappear from BA and don’t return.
        Lounge capacity could very well be managed through the numbers of people flying. When has a lounge ever been as crowded as a plane? Even sitting in every other seat on a plane is still much closer to the people next to you than is typical in a the most crowded lounge.

• Polly says:

Disagree. Those lounges in T5 are quite often packed. I have seen it when only the very odd seat free in there…

• Doug M says:

In terms of what BA have done there is little logic. Every one has lost the same amount of flying time regardless of TP year.

• Chrisw says:

Has anyone had any luck with disputing a cancelled Ryanair flight with Amex. We thought it was agreed but it seems Amex Gold credit card have now backed Ryanair. Even though they are breaching EU laws.

We have just Raised a similar claim on Amex Gold credit card against Expedia re KLM flights. Has anyone been successful?

• Sukes says:

Could you share more detail? Was this a closed dispute in your favour now revoked? If so what reason was given by Amex? I have two RYA cancellations approved by Amex for chargeback 2days ago on Amex Plat (which does not have section 75 cover that your credit card has) and am expecting the credit to hit any day.

• Chris says:

Hiya. The Ryanair claim was closed previously but they Amex state it is now open again. Ryanair have 45 days to challenge any claim from my understanding. It’s seems Amex have done this a lot with Ryanair whereas lots of other providers including PayPal have sided with the customer.

• Chris says:

How do ensure it is a s75 vs chargeback? Amex aren’t very clear what basis I have claimed under. I will be threatening FOS if they don’t cover this.

What I thought was bad is I have not heard anything from Amex. The only way I noticed the change was due to starting the claim against Expedia due their unbelievable poor service and ineptitude claiming my refund from KLM, who have confirmed I can have a cash refund.

• Crafty says:

Just go back and reopen the case. Speak to someone in Brighton by phone and explain it properly. Worked for me.

• Harry T says:

Anyone with bookings in Hong Kong for the Conrad Tokyo may want to check rates. I just cancelled and rebooked my points booking for five nights, as the rate had dropped from 95,000 HH points per night to 80,000. Absolute steal to bag this hotel for 320,000 points for five nights instead of 380,000.

• Chris in CA says:

Flights from SJC to LHR and back in July were cancelled a couple of days ago. Called BA on US EC Gold number to request a refund on two reward tickets and got through straight away. For info, the agent implied that if we wanted to rebook it could be for any date with revenue seats available, not just those showing reward availability, which I think it consistent with something I read on HFP a few weeks ago. Given we’ve already got cash flights booked for December, and with the potential for 14 days quarantine on arrival if we rebook for some time in the next couple of months, there wasn’t another date that looked appealing so — with a heavy heart — I had to pass on the reward seat open goal!

• Ross says:

I’m trying to book LHR/NCE flights for next April on a BA reward ticket, however despite showing as having availability cannot see specific flight information. I get a combination of error messages ranging from ‘there was an error with your request’ to a random stopover screen that you cannot clear. Have researched other routes for the same days, for example BCN, and that works fine. Also tried different browsers, incognito mode, full website, turning off Java etc etc to no avail.

Have always managed to book this early in the past and availability is showing on websites like Seatspy – so assume it’s a BA online issue.

Any ideas please?

• Janet Thomas says:

I am grateful to Lady London for her detailed responses and advice on chasing refunds. I requested a refund from Virgin on 4th April and was told it would take 100 days (I find this unacceptable, especially when I had requested a refund from Jet2 which was actioned immediately and money was back on my card in 2 days!). On 18th April I submitted a Card Purchase Dispute Form via e-mail to Creation Finance and clearly stated in my e-mail that this was a Sec.75 claim (” I base my claim on Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, 1974, which make you jointly and severally liable for any breaches committed by the retailer). I received a reply stating they would reply within 28 days! After 28 days I phoned Creation and asked for update. They said it was now taking 6 weeks!

I phoned again this week (after the 6 week deadline had passed) and was told it was still being looked at. I then threatened them with FOS. The following day I received an e-mail from Creation stating they had issued a chargeback claim and stating that:-
    “the merchant’s bank has the option to challenge the claim if for any reason they believe the payment is payable. The rules state they have up to 60 days to challenge the claim from 4 June 2020. If we do hear from MasterCard, we will contact you within this time frame. Although, this is unlikely, we have to make you aware of the chargeback rules.”

As a novice with such claims I am unsure what to do next. It seems clear they have ignored the Sec. 75 claim and have just issued a chargeback. Hoping Lady London or others can give me some advice. Should I just accept it as a chargeback, or go into battle again?

• Young L says:

Amex related, can Platinum Biz and ARCC share one Amex MR account? Thanks.