Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Saturday 6th June

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/06/06/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-6th-june/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (94)

• Dave H says:

I has too much wine tonight best use of Avios all together at least until I can fly again. God I miss flying. My amex has a negativ e points balance due to the refunds lately. Do I cancel it and then reapply in a few months ?

• Save East Coast Rewards says:

I got this email from Aegean, I know there’s a few here that use it as their Star Alliance programme so I thought I’d mention it here:
    Book your flight now and earn double miles

Schedule your upcoming flights, book your tickets up until 15.06.2020 for any future date you want and earn double award miles for all AEGEAN and Olympic Air network. Benefit now from Flex tickets, so that you can make unlimited changes with no rebooking fees in case your travel plans change, while still enjoying the privilege of double miles for your flights. Just remember to fill in your Miles+Bonus member ID, when you book your flights to earn the double miles.

Terms and conditions:

The offer is valid for one way and return flights operated by AEGEAN and Olympic Air network.
    Valid for bookings from 01.06.2020 until 15.06.2020, and for flights from 01.07.2020.
    The extra miles that will be credited are award miles of Miles+Bonus program.
    The extra award miles will be credited to your account up until 5 working days upon the completion of each of your flights and provided that you have entered your Miles+Bonus member ID during your booking.

• Ben says:

Re supplementary cards on Platinum – I added a few gold cards the other day and received an additional 5,000 point bonus despite already having the supplemental platinum. Thought others might like to
    Try.

Also, quick question, if I cancel my platinum supplemental so that I can reassign it to someone else, will it still be free?

• Jonathan says:

Don’t gold supp cards cost after the first platinum supp?

• Andrew says:

You get 4 free golds and one free platinum supp. And yes you can call them to move someone to platinum and the platinum to gold. I do that from time to time if someone who is gold is going to be travelling a bit coming up so they can use lounges etc (they will reissue the supp Priority Pass’s too).

• Alejandro says:

T&Cs say you can get only one gold supp card per cardholder

• Andrew says:

Not sure where you get that from? Platinum Charge is advertised as having 5 supps, one of which is platinum. Maybe you’re reading something for a different product.

• James says:

Can they be in your own name ? The supp cards

• TGLoyalty says:

Think we need a bit more info

Did you receive 5k for the first platinum supp?

Was it a personal or business?

• meta says:

This is known thing on some Plat accounts. I got 25k extra two years ago when I opened my Plat account. 5k for each supp. My friend who opened a few months later didn’t.

• Polly says:

I remember that, a one off time frame, both my oh and l got the x 5 5k on top of everything else we got back in those good old days!

• Ben says:

@TGLoyalty – Was a personal platinum amex. Definitely received 5k bonus when I added my first supplemental, and then added gold cards last week and received another 5k bonus.

• reney says:

Morning all.

I know quite a few readers have NS&I accounts. I need a place to put some cash and NS&I seems to be a good option (my ISA limit has been allocated to S&S ISA so cash ISA not an option). I am looking at the Direct Saver vs Income Bonds. The interest rate is higher on one of them, I just wanted to check out if others have a view of preferring one over the other? Thanks in advance.

• Crafty says:

Why not premium bonds? Tax free and effective interest rate of 1.4% if you invest enough.

• Genghis says:

My wife and I have both. A reasonable place to park money currently. With income bonds any monies in are pending between c.20th and 5th of following month and therefore cannot be withdrawn. Income bond interest is paid to your bank account or a direct saver account if you have one (ie is not accrued within). Other than that, no differences really.

• Nick_C says:

Go for the Income Bond for 1.16% interest instead of 1%, but note for the IB:

Min deposit, withdrawal, and balance is £500.
      Interest is paid out monthly to an external account, so not compounded.
      Deposit after 20th of the month and the deposit will be pending until 5th of the following month.

• James says:

I upgraded to platinum from gold charge (previously downgraded from platinum) and did not get the 20k bonus again despite spending 4K, it’s been over 2 weeks since qualifying spend

• Jonathan says:

I thought advice now was to go Green to Platinum for bonus as this is still advertised whereas the Gold charge is no longer available to new customers & no mention anywhere of an upgrade bonus for existing holders.

• Rum says:

That’s interesting. I had Plat, downgraded to Gold in Feb. Then upgrade back to Plat in May. I have the tracker for the 4K spend. Now I wonder if I’ll get the bonus points…

• Sam says:

I didn’t have a tracker this time round, did have it in December/Jan when I upgraded

• Reeferman says:

Data point:
    The Radisson flash sale that was ending midnight last night is still live – have just booked a fully refundable 1-night stay in London for August

• Worzel says:

Genghis 09:39:
    All OK thank you Amigo.
    I haven’t had anything to add to what has been said by other more experienced posters-so haven’t made comment.
    Sitting on 400k Avios and a couple of 2-4-1s; its only ever been a hobby…………….. 🙂 .

Take it steady all.

• Polly says:

Yes, nice to see you come up for air. Think a lot of us are in similar sit to you atm. Watching and waiting….

• xcalx says:

Update Tried 3 times yesterday to deposit money into NS&I from curve (IHG) Today I tried lower amounts ie £250 £350 £400 all went through fine.
    Can’t remember which card to pay off IHG feeless ?

• Peter Kemp says:

Basically, any of them except CoT.

• Lee says:

Was that free to deposit money into NS&I? Or 1.5 unless the metal card, cheers!

• xcalx says:

Yes, free on basic curve card

• Crafty says:

Don’t allow your Curve app to update to the latest version, or you may find this ends.