Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Saturday 6th June

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/06/06/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-6th-june/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (94)

• Sean says:

yes – available until end August – thankfully

• Vit says:

Question on free Virgin Credit Card please — how soon will the 5000 points be posted after your first transaction? Is it after your first monthly statement?

Cheers,
    Vit

• Dezbez says:

Yes they should do (assume you mean the sign on bonus?)

• onlysuites says:

In regards to Amex referrals anyone else find their points not posting even though the person you referred has taken out a card from the link you gave? Spoke with Amex and they said the referral link wasn’t used which it was.

• Vit says:

Had that before. It is frustrating but from my experience nothing else I could do. Luckily the person that used my referral link was kind enough to cancel the card and reapply again (of course, through the referral link).

• Andrew says:

If you’re platinum and speak to Brighton they usually honour it.

• Rob says:

This seems a big problem on Platinum Business, a lot rarer on other cards.

• onlysuites says:

Did that. Its a platinum but they saying there is nothing that they can do. There is clearly a fault with their tracking cookies.

• Sam says:

Hi I currently have the Amex preferred rewards gold card. I am considering cancelling after the first year. I have never had either BA card or any other Amex ever.

Just to check, regardless whether I cancel the gold card or not, would I qualify for the BA Amex Premium sign up bonus?

I think I do but wanted to be sure. Thanks

• Young L says:

Amex related, can Platinum Biz and ARCC share one Amex MR account? Thanks.

• Sam says:

On a follow up to my original post above, do you think it would be better to apply for the BA card before or after I cancel the gold card? Thank you

• Rob says:

I’d say before, as long as your credit limit on Gold is no so crazily huge it would put people off giving you more.

• Sam says:

Hi Rob thanks for the reply, that makes sense.

Woukd I qualify for the BA premium sign up bonus?

I’ve currently got the gold card but have never had any other Amex ever before.

Thanks

• Benilyn says:

Just signed up to AmEx gold card how long does it take before the bonus track appears on the website?

• BJ says:

Have you spent £3000 on your card yet? You have six months to complete this

• Rob says:

He meant the bonus tracker (ie the bar chart), not the points itself.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Sometimes it shows in your account, sometimes it doesn’t. If it going to show should be within a few days of account activation.

• Janet says:

I need some advice re. Sec.75. I am grateful to Lady London for her detailed responses and advice on chasing refunds. I requested a refund from Virgin on 4th April and was told it would take 100 days (I find this unacceptable, especially when I had requested a refund from Jet2 which was actioned immediately and money was back on my card in 2 days!). On 18th April I submitted a Card Purchase Dispute Form via e-mail to Creation Finance and clearly stated in my e-mail that this was a Sec.75 claim (” I base my claim on Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, 1974, which make you jointly and severally liable for any breaches committed by the retailer). I received a reply stating they would reply within 28 days! After 28 days I phoned Creation and asked for update. They said it was now taking 6 weeks!
    I phoned again this week (after the 6 week deadline had passed) and was told it was still being looked at. I then threatened them with FOS. The following day I received an e-mail from Creation stating they had issued a chargeback claim and stating that:-
    “the merchant’s bank has the option to challenge the claim if for any reason they believe the payment is payable. The rules state they have up to 60 days to challenge the claim from 4 June 2020. If we do hear from MasterCard, we will contact you within this time frame. Although, this is unlikely, we have to make you aware of the chargeback rules.”
    As a novice with such claims I am unsure what to do next. It seems clear they have ignored the Sec. 75 claim and have just issued a chargeback. Hoping Lady London or others can give me some advice. Should I just accept it as a chargeback, or go into battle again?

• John says:

Well one option is to wait until 4 August and see what happens. You can still pursue a S75 claim after that.

• Genghis says:

“ You have given them 10 weeks. FOS only requires 8 before you can take it to them.”
        I don’t see mention of a complaint having actually been made???

• Genghis says:

I’m not so sure. All reference on the FOS site is to a “complaint” and on the general ombudsman site it notes
        “ If it’s a simple complaint, you might be able to resolve it with a phone call. However, if it can’t be easily resolved, you should make sure you log a formal complaint with them, rather than just talking to them about your problem.”

• Gormlesstraveller says:

I think you’re right, it doesn’t sound like it’s been logged as a formal complaint

• Genghis says:

Agreed. It’s always best to get disputes to official complaint status as soon as possible.

• Janet says:

Thanks for your detailed reply Lady London. I think I shall follow your advice (I can be stroppy too!). It would be interesting to know if anyone has received a refund from Virgin.

• Janet says:

Thanks Lady London & Genghis. The money has today appeared back in my Creation acc., just as I was composing my “Complaint” e-mail. Presumably Virgin could still challenge the chargeback and the money could be taken back, though I guess I would still have grounds to pursue FOS. Think I should still challenge them and make sure I have put a complaint in writing.