The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 23rd June

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/06/23/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-23rd-june/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Why transferring hotel points to a friend is good (but transferring airline miles is bad)
Has your British Airways Executive Club status been extended this afternoon?

Comments

1. Hotels to reopen from 4 July

“From 4th July, provided that no more than two households stay together, people will be free to stay overnight in self-contained accommodation, including hotels and bed & breakfasts, as well as campsites as long as shared facilities are kept clean.”

• Well, they are allowed to reopen. It will be interesting to see how many of them actually decide to reopen.

• Spaghetti Town says:

I’d assume all self-catering, campsites and that sort of stuff will fully re-open with a phased re-opening of hotels?

• It’s worth noting that the COVID Secure guidance for these sectors hasn’t been published yet (although supposedly it will be published today).

Until that happens, no one – including the businesses concerned – knows precisely what is expected of them for them to be able to reopen.

• Jeff 99 says:

“No more than two households”

What a load of nonsense. Which hotel is going to bother checking if a group is only from two households?

Also, not releasing the “Covid secure” guidelines for hotels which need to open in 10/11 days sums up the clowns in charge.

It was also nice of them to only give a few days notice to pubs that the guidance was going to change to 1 metre. It could be argued that it was obvious this was going to happen, but businesses can only plan based on certainty and not what might seem obvious.

• pauldb says:

Can you think of any problem with telling people 1m is safe in four weeks time?

• Jeff 99 says:

“ Can you think of any problem with telling people 1m is safe in four weeks time?”

No. If 1m is safe in 4 weeks then it’s safe now and it doesn’t really matter if people stop following the 2m guidance.

• The general rule is still 2m. 1m only applies in certain circumstances, where the risks have been mitigated.

Also, 4 July is just eleven days away – not four weeks.

• pauldb says:

Thank you – you’ve proved my point. 1m is only sensible since incidence of the virus has quartered in the last 4 weeks, and because there is a positive benefit of changing the rules: to get the leisure sector working again.

If they’d given everyone people 4 weeks notice of the change some – apparently you – would decide 1m must be immediately safe in all circumstances.

• There is a very fine line between incidence quartering every four weeks and doubling every three days.

• @BJ: that’s why we are repeatedly told, every time the rules are relaxed, that those relaxations are contingent on the number of cases continuing to fall, and will be reversed if necessary.

• pauldb says:

@BJ: we didn’t have doubling time less than a week even back in March, so I’d say it’s a much thicker line than that.

• @pauldb…because we were in lockdown. It is clear that the speed and extent to which lockdown is being eased is risky but the government is clearly taking the chance, hoping that it can count of tge majority of the population to continue to take the threat seriously and act accordingly with the restrictiohs. As Roy said, they can go tbe other way too. And even thougb the incidence is now lower, there remains quite a lot of people in hospital and others continuing to be taken into hospital. 30-40% of those will die which should be all the reason most of us need to act sensibly.

• pauldb says:

I agree with your cautious sentiments but get the scale right. Doubling in a week was the fastest it reached pre-lockdown.
            Yes we might unlock too fast, but it won’t suddenly spiral away: your implication is it could multiply by 8 in two weeks before we react. In reality it seems more likely it rises 50-100% in a worst case scenario before we stamp down on it again.

• I never at any time said it did double in three days.

• For the record (and for anyone still reading this), in Italy between Feb 20th and March 3rd, the cases were more than doubling every 3 days. They were taken by surprise a bit more than we were. Without mitigation, doubling every 3 days is completely possible.

• It’s no different from the general rules on indoor gatherings from 4 July – i.e. no ore than 2 households can meet indoors at any one time.

I presume that, like most of the other lockdown rules to date, they’ll largely rely on the majority voluntarily choosing to comply

• Lady London says:

Given the trouble women in supermarkets and men everywhere seem to have even knowing that 2 metres is not your elbow in my ear, I shudder to think how close some people are going to come if the distance changes to 1 metre. Do some people think the distancing of 2 metres is the maximum.not the minimum distance to keep between people?

2. sloth says:

hi, Hilton Honors barclaycard…is anyone aware if there is a minimum spend to receive points? like a lot, my spending has decreased dramatically so last few months this card has been under £100/month and I received no points. just wondering if this is expected or there is another issue with my account (looking to put much more spending through it shortly and don’t want to find an issue later on)…barclaycard on phone is a ridiculous wait so hoping someone here may know. thanks

3. Aston100 says:

I’m thinking if anyone was planning a staycation, they’d better start using their IHG points before the points requirement shoots up dynamically.
    Might be imagining it, but I feel a couple of the Crowne Plazas ‘up norf’ have gone up from the recent low of 12500 / 15000 back to the usual 20000+

• Secret Squirrel says:

Anyone had problems redeeming ba avios points today on e-rewards?

4. Matthew says:

Just had my BA First flight to HND in Aug cancelled. I wanted to change to Jan 2021 (within the year of ticket validity) but BA aren’t flying a First cabin to HND during winter schedule. Asked to be put on JAL instead but agent refused. Said can only go JAL if rescheduling -3/+14 days of original flight.

I’ve heard some have success switching to JAL outside of these limits? Anyone suggest if I should insist or just accept not possible and get a refund. Thanks 👍

• Somebody commented the other day that they were put on JAL by quoting EU regulations. The flight was in May next year. I think it is a case of trying another agent or speaking to supervisor. Did you call You First?

• Matthew says:

Yeah tried You First. Will try again tomorrow with the regs at hand!

• Lady London says:

they cannot impose this rule. It may be BA’s preferred policy but EU261 supersedes the airline policy. EU261 is quite clear you are entitled to be rerouted in same class of travel even on another airline on your route if thats who’s got a flight close enough to your original timing in the class you booked. IIRC the regulator had to remind BA of this during some kind of meltdown within the past year or so.

• This is correct – I would try getting a written statement from BA, and if they still refuse proceed with next steps (CDR/MCOL)

• pauldb says:

The poster wants to shift from August to January. Yes they’d have to put him on JL if that’s the only choice in August. But the requirement to rebook him on to a date of his convenience, when BA doesn’t offer seats, has had far less clarification by the authorities AFAIK.

• Matthew says:

Ok thanks for the info. I will hopefully have better luck today. Will keep you posted 👍. This is the third cancelled flight I’ve had whereby BA (twice) and Finnair have refused to follow the regs. It’s left me in a tricky position for sure….

• Matthew says:

So they offered me JAL first on any date within 14 days but not any other time. I was offered a downgrade to club (Avios availability not required – which was handy as there was none!) for the date in Jan I wanted and they gave me a refund in avios too. Not the best result but this is my 3rd cancellation with no luck when pressing EU261 rights so I’m just happy to have a seat on the flight time/date I want albeit in club. First world problems clearly so I mustn’t grumble! Thanks everyone for their help.

5. Has anyone else spent £500 on the free IHG card within 3 months (applied for under the 20,000 bonus offer) and only received the 10,000 sign-up bonus?

Does the other 10,000 come separately and, if so, how long do you have to wait?

• Secret Squirrel says:

Yes, the last 10,000 points get sent direct to your IHG account rather than show in your Creation account.

• Been waiting for mine since mid April but got confirmation email after chasing Creation that it will be credited to the IHG account within 90 days. So I guess another 30 days of waiting…

• Crafty says:

Still waiting. Chased IHG and they disclaimed any responsibility and said to contact the credit card provider.

6. MarianC says:

Hi all.
    Is there a time limit when I can ask for a refund if my flights was cancelled and the scheduled date has past?
    I had a return ticket in May with Wizz Air, i thought my partner called for the refund, actually she didn’t.
    Is it too late now? I am going to call tomorrow, but I couldn’t find much information online.

• I do not think so. They are just not going to remind you, hoping that you forget so they can keep the money!