The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 30th June

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/06/30/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-30th-june/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

'My Favourite Hotel' review - InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown
Has your British Airways Executive Club status been upgraded or extended today?

Comments

1. Sandra says:

Last week I applied for (via HFP link) and got the Amex Gold card which arrived today & I have just linked it to my account with my BAPP card. The primary reason I applied was to see if I get different/better offers and also because once I collect the next BA 241 voucher I will probably cancel that card. Because I hold the BAPP I did not expect to get the Amex Gold spend bonus but when I looked at the membership section after registering the Gold card it is showing a counter towards the 20k bonus points for spending 3k I the next 6 months. Is this correct and if I spend 3k (which I can easily as I am waiting to pay for new furniture when it’s ready to be delivered) will the bonus post?! I still get confused over Amex new card bonuses!

• No, you shouldn’t get it. Amex IT is not great, however, so you might but I wouldn’t bet on it and I wouldn’t go hugely out of your way to hit the spending target unless you are spending the money anyway.

• Sandra says:

Thanks Rob, I am spending anyway between now and Xmas so will probably see if the counter stays on my account, spend and see if it counts down towards bonus, then hope their IT is still rubbish!

2. Swiss_Flyer says:

Info required please:

Had a reschedule to my Swiss flights which now means I will arrive over 3.5 hours later. How much of a time change can allow you to cancel your booking for a refund?

• Marcw says:

It depends on the airlines

• Lady Londonq says:

EU261 states limits. I suggest you Google its text. Amount allowed to be later is, I think 3hrs for yoir trip and your timing has exceeded that.

As @marcw says many airlines will allow cancellation or rebook for much smaller changes – even 20min in some cases. If you want to cancel ask the airline.

Meanwhile take a look at your flight number – has it changed? if so then it counts as tbeir cancellation and you are entitled to a refund without question.

• onlysuites says:

I would think this much time is good enough to ask for a change or cancel.

3. MCC on Curve seem totally screwed due to Wirecard switch, can we take advantage of that? Seems like that might be an opportunity for those without Metal to use Fronted?

Is the Curve MCC 8999 now?

• memesweeper says:

Explains something that went through this morning that should not have!

• Lady Londonq says:

oh dear. I do hope not too msny people take advantage of this temporarily opened loophole before it closes

• Yes, seems Revolut going through with Curve MCC no transfer of MCC.

4. Baji Nahid says:

So Pakistan International had been banned by europe EASA and will not be allowed to fly to europe for 6 months. My question is, does this ruling apply to the UK too? since we’ve left the EU but are in a transition zone?

I appreciate all the help.

• Baji Nahid says:

has not had*

• I believe the UK will continue to be part of EASA even after Brexit.

Frankly, with the news coming out that 30-40% of PIA pilots have fraudulent qualifications I should hope so!

• Boris likes deregulation 🙂

• Ralph says:

The official position is that the UK will leave EASA on 31 December at the end of the transition period and the CAA will take over the relevant regulatory functions. That could theoretically change, but our membership of EASA would otherwise have been downgraded to ‘observer’ type status so that we would be bound by the rules, but not have any input, obviously fairly undesirable. I understand that leaving EASA causes lots of difficulties for pilot licences etc.

• ChrisC says:

We are still to all intents and purposes still an EU member until the end of the year though we can’t take part in making decisions.

EASA has banned PIA from EASA controlled airspace so even if the UK hadn’t banned PIA there are very few – if any – routes that would allow PIA to reach the UK.

• This strikes me as Islamophobia by EASA.

• Callum says:

Do you care to explain how?

I don’t see the point in making such a nonsensical claim if you’re not going to explain it!

5. Dominic says:

RE Etihad 50% offer..

Just taken a look at my credit card; Etihad have charged me for the entirety of my 50% bonus! Unbelievable.

Will obviously call to get the money back, but the ineptitude is incredible.

6. Andrew says:

Data point on Amex referrals: friend applied for Gold (from my Platinum link) on Sunday evening, points in my account this morning. So it seems the delay issues have been resolved.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Same here, referred the wife Sun, just checked again and 9k points in.

• TGLoyalty says:

+1 9k points in account

Surprised Amex didn’t extend the offer tbh

7. Laura_D says:

A piece of advice for people who’ve bought BA operated flights through Iberia: CHECK IF THE FLIGHT IS STILL GOING AHEAD AS IBERIA WILL NOT NOTIFY YOU IF CANCELLED. It truly is amazing.

My partner and I are flying from Spain to LHR on the same flight, but I bought one ticket through IB with Avios, and the other one through BA in cash. The BA booking was cancelled 6 days ago, and nothing from IB…until I decided to check it and there’s a big red sign saying cancelled and I need to call them as I can’t do anything through the website (amazing, booked business using avios and now need to call).

On this topic, has anyone had to deal with the IB call center for flight rescheduling? There are flights leaving later the same evening – the BA ticket is allowing me to switch to the flight for free – any chance I can do the same with the IB ticket? There’s always the worry of being able to ‘sync’ it at the same time so we both get on the same flight…

Any input appreciated.

• Doug M says:

All I can offer is unless you have a specific reason always book with the operating airline. Codeshares always behave differently. Not being told pertinent information by an airline really isn’t that surprising. The more you travel the more you become accustomed to these types of issue.

8. Pat the Postie says:

Booked an Avios flight that was cancelled and its impossible to get through to BA, the online system only allows for a travel voucher which is not suitable. Every time I phone up they say they have no staff to answer the phone, completely useless!

• ChrisC says:

I called BA last night just after 7 pm to get a refund after a cancelled flights

Call waiting time was 18 mins to be answered and 3 to process the refund

• pauldb says:

Given hundreds of Gatwick flights have been cancelled today or switched to Heathrow, I’d wait a week before calling if you possibly can. Or recommend the WQ4U app.

• Steve says:

It’s been quite easy to get through recently. Call, don’t press any of the options when prompted, through to an agent within minutes.

9. BA flight to Seville moved from Gatwick to Heathrow.

Predictable, but still incredibly annoying given I live 5 minutes from Gatwick.

• mvcvz says:

I would have imagined it to be far more annoying to live five minutes from LGW.

10. Our Langley weekend in August has been cancelled (just waiting to see if they will move it to New Year weekend, they haven’t mentioned extra points…). Now trying to find an alternative as our back up (Voco Spires in Oxford) has also been cancelled and our 2nd backup (the University Arms in Cambridge) isn’t definitely going to be open either 🙄

• My Qatar refund arrived 5 days today, not the 28 days suggested?
      Mind you it was 6 weeks for them to process it.

• old bob says:

Give it up , the locals open from Saturday, a yard of ale and couple of packets of pork scratchings down the pig and whistle with me a Geoff will see you right, you’ll forget all about it.

• Can I have a yard of gin instead?

Just checked my Bonvoy account and it’s showing the new dates but with the old points price.

11. Wally1976 says:

Our BA Avios flights from LGW to DLM (end of August) have just been moved to Heathrow. Quite pleased as LHR is more convenient for us and flight times are better too. The flight numbers and PNRs are unchanged.

It says in the email that we need to confirm our acceptance of the new flights. When I click the link to do this, it just throws an error. It also throws an error if I click the option to “choose alternative flights”. I notice in my BAEC account it shows the new flights. It doesn’t say anywhere how long we have to accept the new flights. I would like to know as I might stall a little in case we find we need to cancel.

Any info/advice appreciated. I don’t want to have to phone up BA unless absolutely necessary!