The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 30th June

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/06/30/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-30th-june/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

'My Favourite Hotel' review - InterContinental Los Angeles Downtown
Has your British Airways Executive Club status been upgraded or extended today?

Comments

1. Tracy says:

I cancelled 241 flights to Japan for June 2020. I got back my 241 with new expiry date of 12/06/21, with the 6 month extension. I want to rebook the exact same flights for 2021 but need to go end of June 2021, original flights were end of June 2020. My voucher expires 2 weeks early. I asked BA for 2 week extension and was told no. Am I being unreasonable? Should I try again?

• I can’t see them budging on this. What you could do is make an earlier booking then cancel for a future travel voucher valid till 2022.

• Tracy says:

How does this work? I have 2 241s for 4 people.

• memesweeper says:

Not many people have done this. I *think* you will end up with four vouchers for the travellers, each with sufficient Avios to enable a booking equivalent to double the Avios you used, plus the full taxes/fees/charges each. Although, this being BA, anything might happen! Keep a copy of your *original* flight booking confirmation email, that’s the one with the e-ticket numbers in it as you’ll need this in the event of a dispute.

• You will get an email with all your original ticket numbers on it and an assurance that you can travel until April 2022. It does NOT say that you are limited by the original date on your 241 and I am going to be holding them to this!

• pauldb says:

I’ve been through the process and rebooked a May 2020 trip to May 2021. The 241 on it expired June 2020, extended to Dec 2020 – so the FTV did indeed extend its usability.

2. My flights from Porto end of August have now been moved from Gatwick to Heathrow. I don’t mind actually as it works better for me. Same time, same flight number. Do I have to confirm the change? Normally you would need to and the email received says so, but there is no option on Manage my booking.

• Genghis says:

I’m the same. I’d have preferred LGW, however. Can’t see option to confirm on MMB. Will give them a call sometime.

• Wally1976 says:

We had similar – for Dalaman. There’s a link in the email which brings you to a page where you can select options…all of which throw an error when you click them (or at least they did for me!).

3. Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but apparently Curve is currently processing refunds by crediting them to the Curve Cash balance

What is the latest regarding refunds? – If you are asking “what is going to happen with my refund?”

We want you to know that our main priority is to get refunds up and running again for you as quickly as possible. The best way for us to do this is to build our own refunds process (totally in-house).

In the first instance, the quickest way to do this is to send that money back to you as Curve Cash so you can use it right away.

If we are able to process a refund; you will find it on your Curve Cash balance. You will just need to select Curve Cash as the payment card and you will be able to use the money stored inside!

We are working hard to get refunds working in a normal way – our priority has been to get you access to money owed to you as quickly as possible.

4. Roger* says:

My IHG status is platinum, based on my IHG black credit card. Oh, and Ambassador.

The narrative in my online account shows: ‘Your IHG Rewards Club status has been automatically extended through January 2022’

5. Jonathan Gillespie says:

Looking for everyone’s thoughts/experience on this situation.
    I was booked to fly First Class to Johannesburg in August with my wife using Avios rewards and a 2-4-1 companion voucher.
    The flights have now been cancelled and I have the choice to re-book or cancel.
    The original booking was made via my wife’s Exec Club account, which has recently been downgraded from Silver to Bronze (bad timing on her annual expiry)
    If we accept the Future Travel Voucher option, can I then use these individual vouchers to re-book through my own Exec Club account (which is still Silver) and therefore have the added Silver benefits, i.e. seat changes.
    Also, if we accept the voucher am I still restricted to Avios reward flights?
    And am I right that due to the original 2-4-1, the vouchers will be for double the Avios used, plus the full taxes/fees/charges each.

• As long as you are travelling, you get free seat selection for everyone irrespective of who booked.

• Jonathan Gillespie says:

Thanks Rob. I had thought the booking had to be made by the silver account holder. But that’s great.
        Can the FTV’s be used for any future travel, including Avios Rewards flights.

• There is much confusion over the vouchers. It isn’t clear if a cash voucher, for eg, can be used to pay the taxes on an Avios ticket – I’m not sure it can.

• Jonathan Gillespie says:

I had this confirmed. The “cash” element of a FTV cannot be used to pay the taxes, fees. etc. on an Avios Rewards booking, even if the FTV was issued as a refund for an Avios Rewards booking. How ridiculous is that! They offer you a voucher for a Rewards booking that you can’t actually use to book another Rewards flight. Well done BA. You just forced me to ask call up and demand a full refund. Good job.