Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Saturday 4th July

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/04/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-4th-july/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (178)

• Ali M says:

silly question – Channel islands is in that list?
    (googel doesnt bring up channel island as the 13 British territories!)

• Michael C says:

No – the only arrivals allowed in are from IOM (to Guernsey).

• Rob says:

Channel Islands were always on the ‘no quarantine’ list. Jersey is open to UK citizens from yesterday as long as you are happy to do a saliva test on arrival. Zero CV cases there now so a decent option.

• Ali M says:

Thanks Rob.
          Booked for Late Sept.
          under 400 pounds for a family of 4 😀

• TGLoyalty says:

Depends which list? CTA has always been exempt from the quarantine rule

The common travel area (CTA) is a long-standing arrangement between the UK, the Crown Dependencies (Bailiwick of Jersey, Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Isle of Man) and Ireland.

• FrenchLondoner says:

Hi All
    Has anybody heard about any move from Eurostar on the Covid situation: have they confirmed when they are reopening business lounges/fast track/catering in Standard Premier and Business?
    And Carte Blanche membership extensions …? When I called Carte Blanche line two weeks ago, I was told Carte Blanche would be extended by one year for all members and that we would receive an email confirming this, however I have not received anything yet…

• Anthony says:

Hi all,

Has anyone’s BA status updated correctly following the reduced TP requirements? On monday it updated to show achieved Gold, but its been a week now and it still shows Silver – Achieved Gold. Would have thought their IT would have caught up by now?

• TripRep says:

Sobering thread before you hop on a flight. I’ve seen other survivors say similar.

• TripRep says:

Check this Oxford Uni Profs pinned tweet for his family’s battle with it.

• BJ says:

Politest way I can put it is that many on HFP couldn’t care less as was evident from the rambling discussions on how best they could bypass the quarantine rules. The selfish, self-entitled, I’m ok you’re not ok bunch that cannot see past their own reflections in every mirror they pass.

• Lady London says:

Thanks @BJ. Sometimes I feel alone on here.

But I am glad when people raise such questions as how do I circumvent quaratine as it lets me know what’s going on outside.

Even if I know a government is putting up stupid requests or doing things in a useless way I will obey.

The reason is I solve computer problems as part of my work. I would far rather the system gives me 100 people with the same problem, than 5 people with different problems. The reason is that for the 100 once I’ve worked out what the problem is I’ll have 100 people fixed with one action. Whereas across the 5 I have to do 5x more work and each fix has 100x less impact.

Consistency lets us cure things. Yet the UK seems full of individualists who want to be in a category of one so far as behaviour is concerned.

• BJ says:

You are not alone Lady London, most people on here like most across the country are likely doing their best to respect the rules as best they can, and many under very trying circumstances. We can debate the governments approaches and failings until the cows come home but at the end of the day they are what they are and the best chance we have of limiting the impact is for us all to follow the rules as you, Nick_C and others have stressed often enough. To be fair to the government they too have acknowledged that their approach comes with major risks and have stressed the need to observe the rules on a daily basis. It is just unfortunate that the future for all of us might well be shaped in large part by those who show little or no respect for the common good.

• TGLoyalty says:

Awful for those going through it still but with all due respect I could post many horror stories on the internet from reactions which many would treat as everyday things.

Personally I’m not living in fear from this but agree with LadyLondon while I thought and still think some of the regulations were/are bonkers I stick by them as I’m not special and I don’t want to harm others.

• TripRep says:

I agree with most of the above.

Certainly not living in fear and personally I have not been following the exact guidance
        eg Scotland had a 5 mile radius for exercise which would actually mean interacting with more people than carefully driving a few miles to spots that I know are always quiet.

But I’m definitely doing all I can to avoid contact with other people. Cafes, bars and shops are all unnecessary for the foreseeable future.

• SimonW says:

With an advert to donate to BLM at the end of the thread. Wow. Just WOW.

• Jay says:

Does creation or Virgin Atlantic limit miles spend to credit limit I.e. No more point more than credit limit per month.

• Jaffa says:

if you repay during month you can spend above limit.m I do it a lot

• James says:

Virgin you can only earn miles to your credit limit. If you have a £10k limit you can only earn £10k worth of miles.

Creation no limit I am aware of but imposes limitations on business services transactions (i.e. credit card payments)

• Jay says:

Should I take Amex Gold charge card offered while cancelling Platinum or cancel Platinum all together?

No use of Platinum currently due to avoiding travel in foreseeable future.

Anyone received other offers.

I was told there may be additional spend offers but for now no other personalised loyalty offer for me as has had 15k MR points and £100 spend offer on Waitrose etc.

• Paul74 says:

Worth considering, the Gold. I got it last August as part of my exit plan from Platinum. Cancelled Platinum in March once hotel status was all renewed. No fee for the first year so it’s a good way to keep your MRPs alive if you have no immediate use for them.
      I’ve actually ended up channeling sufficient spend (remember it’s double for airlines and overseas/non sterling) to be on course to hit the target for the extra 10k points.

• Roger says:

What is that extra bonus?
        Is there any latest information on charge card or review as I could only find the credit card version?

• Rahaney says:

The gold charge has the similar 10k points for 15k spend that the credit does

• Rahaney says:

When you ring to cancel (if no retention offer) you’ll be able to downgrade to gold charge card which is free for the first year

• Eugene says:

Heres a puzzle. If a 2-4-1 is used with car hire or a hotel booking does that turn it into a BA holiday?
    If so could one make a booking, then a cancel a bit later, Book with Confidence and all that, in exchange for a Voucher? If so that would that put an upcoming 241 expiry back to 2022? Must be a few of us who booked 241 trips 355 days ahead which got cancelled , now we are left with short expiry dates that don’t suit.

• Anna says:

There are some posts about this on the BA holiday article above.

• Eugene says:

Thanks . Will go ferret about. There are so many to go thru now , its hard to keep tabs !

• David says:

I benefited from the recent reduction in BA tier points required to upgrade status. I’ve hit the required number to get Bronze (no biggy I know but better than nothing) and my account says ‘Bronze achieved’. Does anyone know when the actual upgrades to status are processed by BA? ie. when will my account appear as Bronze…