The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 7th July

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/07/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-7th-july/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

'My Favourite Hotel' review - Conrad Algarve, Portugal (bookable on Hilton points)
Where is British Airways flying to in Europe in July?

Comments

1. Chris says:

Does anyone know what the sweet spot is for BA Holidays for adding a car or hotel? Used to be a single night worked but feel like i’ve seen discussion previously that there’s a minimum

• MattB says:

Not sure if there is a fixed minimum, when I booked over the phone last year I was open that I was only adding a car to get the deposit option and potentially get a discount. The guy took through the pricing options and it was cheaper to book a car for 5 days in my case than 1.

2. Where’s a good place to buy some face shields? Like the ones that QR are giving out in Economy? Need 5-10.

3. Crafty says:

OT: I have £100k to pay a family member over a 1-2 month period, associated with property. I did a trial sending £2.5k from my current Revolut balance (not topping up specifically for this purpose – sent from balance made up of previous top ups) and although that went through they have already flagged and warned me, as if this is funding my own bank account (which it is not, but there’s probably no point having that argument with them). Does anyone have suggestions for alternative ways to make this transfer work for me?

• Andrew says:

That kind of sum is money laundering territory, so be careful. Just do a bank transfer and sleep easy in your bed.

• Jonathan says:

This sort of statement on here always confuses me, if the transaction is bonafide and assuming the source and destination of the funds are legitimate then why would it be classed as money laundering?

• Pat the Postie says:

People like to scare monger without any knowledge or experience often

• Genghis says:

Of course it wouldn’t be classified as money laundering in the end (there’s no “placement” for starters).

But it would raise questions and they might ask do some more KYC on you: source of funds, source of wealth evidence etc. Equally, they might decide commercially not to do business with you.

• This may not be money laundering, but if the suggestion was to split the 100k into lots of smaller transactions to avoid scrutiny, then this is what is referred to in the US as structuring.

In some jurisdictions, structuring is itself illegal, even if the underlying transaction would otherwise have been perfectly legitimate.

I don’t think it’s illegal per se in the UK (not sure though), but if it was spotted it would ring a lot of alarm bells.

• (A different) Jonathan says:

It’s not money laundering but it looks like it could be to the algorithms that look for suspicious transactions. This will flag a review & almost certainly Revolut deciding they no longer want you as a customer (as is their right).

Why? Well you’re flagging yourself as a customer who they will cost them money & administration time/effort. They’ve already had their knuckles rapped for slack oversight and facilitating criminal activity so they won’t take any chances these days & just give anyone who generates suspicion the boot. they won’t even engage in a debate regardless of how much proof you have & you may well have to wait a few weeks to get your funds back.

• If you are paying a fee to send money to someone via a pseudo-bank, when a similar transaction could be done for free via a bank transfer, it immediately looks suspicious. As does charging cash transactions to a credit card, because the source of funds here is not clear (it is not person A to person B, it is person A to Amex to Paypal to person B).

• Brighton Belle says:

Revolut says it’s a bank and it wants to be YOUR bank but it never operates like a real bank. It’s not worth the hassle. And since they’re now charging fees for a simple foreign exchange transfer over £1000 a month they’re not much use in paying my living expenses abroad. I stopped using them other then sending family birthday money. It all became to hard.

• The Urbanite says:

If you let Revolut know beforehand and send proof of source of funds if they ask, it should go through ok if they indicate they’re fine with it.

There are lots of people topping up Revolut and doing quick transfers out. This costs Revolut as they have to pay a fee to accept your credit card. This is what they are clamping down on.

4. Hi all
    I put practically all my spending through the BA Shopping site so I can get Avios on all my purchases (when available). I was wondering whether you would have any idea when earnings rates go up and down? Sometimes it’s really frustrating when you’re sure you can get 5 avios/£1 at John Lewis and then the next day is back to 1/£1. Having an idea helps planning, especially when you can hold off purchasing by a day or two.

• Andrew says:

But it always shows the end date of the increase from say 2/£1 to say 5/£1, so you know when you need to do the purchase by in order to get the higher rate.

• Yes, true. The problem is when the rate is very low, you purchase something and the next day is 5 times more… very annoying!

5. Does anyone know the best way to query a missing Creation IHG credit card night? My account anniversary was 21 March (so over 3 months ago) and the night has not yet appeared. Creation confirmed it should appear 6 weeks after the anniversary date, but since then neither they nor IHG customer services are responding to any queries whatsoever. Any suggestions for who I should be chasing up and how?

Thanks!

• Jimbob says:

I’ve got exactly the same problem.
      3 complaints via the app hasn’t got me anywhere, so I’ve written to their customer service dept, and I’ll escalate further after another 4 weeks, if no reply

• 6 weeks! Do you lose that much availability or do they adjust the expiry date to reflect this (I’m currently awaiting my first one).

• the_real_a says:

There is a small team in the back office for IHG points issues. My technique is usually to call up the fraud number (back of card) – that way you get a reasonably smart person from the compliance team who can trasnfer you over or open a ticket. Using the regular customer service number is a bit like discussing your problem with a bag of concrete.

• Paul74 says:

For the credit card I’ve generally had good, if slightly slow, responses by emailing using system provided.
        For the IHG site itself, the live chat option usually works well for me.

• louise says:

try the twitter team, they sorted mine a couple of months back.

• Thanks – I did think about that, but do you recommend I approach the Creation twitter team, or the IHG twitter team? I’m not entirely sure whose “fault” this is, so not sure who I’m supposed to chase..! (I never have any problems with the monthly Creation points arriving in my IHG account, and last year the free night appeared without a problem at all, so not sure what’s gone wrong at all with this, but I’m going round in circles…)

• The_real_a says:

You need the creation IHG lady to email the IHG lady. I’ve been through this twice before. It’s literally 2 people in ops that manage this.

6. Nigel says:

As it seems like a hot topic in recent weeks… Curve customer service!

Got to say not bad for my recent request to change from a ‘Commerical’ to ‘Personal’ account/card. Their reply was just over 12 hours, was ‘ordered’ last Friday and arrived today. Only issue was they immediately cancelled my old card so couldn’t use it the last few days.

7. Everything has now been pushed through on my BA account after a few weeks in limbo, wondering exactly what would happen!

Membership end date: 08 Jul 2020
    Card expiry date: 31 Aug 2022
    Points earned: 1135

My card expiry date had previous been pushed out one year to 31 Aug 2021, everything was still showing as Silver, but there was a comment stating that I’d achieved Gold Status.

Today, my account has been updated to Gold and Card Expiry Date has been pushed out an extra year to Aug 2022.

Hopefully it’s good news for everyone else expecting similar!

• Paul74 says:

Good stuff!

• babyg says:

hi there, did you have a contact for ba exec club/status issues? i had a few flights that would have made me silver that got cancelled and want to contact somebody…

8. Baji Nahid says:

I’ve just had an LNER email that they are pulling out from the partnership with nectar and and now have their own rewards system where you will get 2% credit back as an evoucher for future LNER use if you book direct with LNER on their website.

I knew they had the plans for this as they used to ask a select number of customers about this idea but I dont know how i feel about the 2%.

• Baji Nahid says:

They are pulling out from the 1st of August 2020

• Baji Nahid says:

this is only for collecting nectar points, the email states that you can continue to spend your nectar points on LNER eVouchers as normal

• Thanks to both, I hadn’t heard. I wonder if we will see another transfer bonus again. Not that I’m too bothered, London doesn’t look very safe these days.

• Baji Nahid says:

it says ‘Temporarily’

• As it’s worth more than the Nectar points, you should feel happy!

• Only if you are spending money on LNER, I’ve spent only Nectar points on LNER/VTEC for at least the last 3, maybe 4 years. Good while it lasted 🙂

• Baji Nahid says:

it looks like they are also giving a 1500 nectar bonus to those who get the email.

• Graeme2 says:

I didn’t see this in the email I received or on the website, is it inside info?

• I think heavy users get a different email. People like me who book LNER twice per year don’t get 1500 points!

• Nick_C says:

Almost didn’t read the email as I saw it on here earlier, but yes “As you are a frequent Nectar collector, we’re giving you 1,500 Nectar points as a farewell gift. These should appear in your Nectar account within five working days of receiving this email.”

I wouldn’t describe myself as a frequent Nectar collector but I did use LNER (instead of First Transpennine Express) quite a lot earlier this year to buy tickets to tie in with an Amex offer.

• No 1500 for me either and I bought loads of tickets from Waverley to Haymarket over the years, sometimes three in one day.

• Aahjnnot says:

Great Western offers 2 Nectar points per £ if you book online or through their app. Your journey can be on any railway company.

Not worth as much as the 2% discount, of course, but possibly more useful if your train travel is all for business purposes.

9. Has anyone managed to pay a NatWest Credit Card or HSBC Credit Card via Curve and can share how?

I’ve successfully managed to do it for my Amex, but cannot work out how for the other two.

10. Ollie says:

Are reward bookings covered by the removal of change fees? I am being quoted £35pp by MMB for a recent 241 booking that otherwise meets all the date restrictions for the Book with Confidence policy.

• According to comments earlier today @Neil was going to have a go at changing one so perhaps he’ll report back soon.

• memesweeper says:

Seems to depend on the agent! Hang up and call again if you’d like a different answer.

11. Scottydogg says:

I want to get a British Airways Premium card , is the 25,000 / 26,000 sign up the best it gets , or do they often offer increased rates ?