Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 7th July

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/07/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-7th-july/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (190)

• Nigel says:

As it seems like a hot topic in recent weeks… Curve customer service!

Got to say not bad for my recent request to change from a ‘Commerical’ to ‘Personal’ account/card. Their reply was just over 12 hours, was ‘ordered’ last Friday and arrived today. Only issue was they immediately cancelled my old card so couldn’t use it the last few days.

• Joe says:

Everything has now been pushed through on my BA account after a few weeks in limbo, wondering exactly what would happen!

Membership end date: 08 Jul 2020
    Card expiry date: 31 Aug 2022
    Points earned: 1135

My card expiry date had previous been pushed out one year to 31 Aug 2021, everything was still showing as Silver, but there was a comment stating that I’d achieved Gold Status.

Today, my account has been updated to Gold and Card Expiry Date has been pushed out an extra year to Aug 2022.

Hopefully it’s good news for everyone else expecting similar!

• Paul74 says:

Good stuff!

• babyg says:

hi there, did you have a contact for ba exec club/status issues? i had a few flights that would have made me silver that got cancelled and want to contact somebody…

• Baji Nahid says:

I’ve just had an LNER email that they are pulling out from the partnership with nectar and and now have their own rewards system where you will get 2% credit back as an evoucher for future LNER use if you book direct with LNER on their website.

I knew they had the plans for this as they used to ask a select number of customers about this idea but I dont know how i feel about the 2%.

• Baji Nahid says:

They are pulling out from the 1st of August 2020

• Baji Nahid says:

this is only for collecting nectar points, the email states that you can continue to spend your nectar points on LNER eVouchers as normal

• BJ says:

Thanks to both, I hadn’t heard. I wonder if we will see another transfer bonus again. Not that I’m too bothered, London doesn’t look very safe these days.

• Baji Nahid says:

it says ‘Temporarily’

• Rob says:

As it’s worth more than the Nectar points, you should feel happy!

• BJ says:

Only if you are spending money on LNER, I’ve spent only Nectar points on LNER/VTEC for at least the last 3, maybe 4 years. Good while it lasted 🙂

• Baji Nahid says:

it looks like they are also giving a 1500 nectar bonus to those who get the email.

• Graeme2 says:

I didn’t see this in the email I received or on the website, is it inside info?

• Rob says:

I think heavy users get a different email. People like me who book LNER twice per year don’t get 1500 points!

• Nick_C says:

Almost didn’t read the email as I saw it on here earlier, but yes “As you are a frequent Nectar collector, we’re giving you 1,500 Nectar points as a farewell gift. These should appear in your Nectar account within five working days of receiving this email.”

I wouldn’t describe myself as a frequent Nectar collector but I did use LNER (instead of First Transpennine Express) quite a lot earlier this year to buy tickets to tie in with an Amex offer.

• BJ says:

No 1500 for me either and I bought loads of tickets from Waverley to Haymarket over the years, sometimes three in one day.

• Aahjnnot says:

Great Western offers 2 Nectar points per £ if you book online or through their app. Your journey can be on any railway company.

Not worth as much as the 2% discount, of course, but possibly more useful if your train travel is all for business purposes.

• Joe says:

Has anyone managed to pay a NatWest Credit Card or HSBC Credit Card via Curve and can share how?

I’ve successfully managed to do it for my Amex, but cannot work out how for the other two.

• The Urbanite says:

Don’t know anything about Natwest but you’ll
      have to pay off HSBC by bank transfer.

• memesweeper says:

You could try via revolut for a while but it won’t last for long/big sums.

• Connor says:

Pingit.

• Ollie says:

Are reward bookings covered by the removal of change fees? I am being quoted £35pp by MMB for a recent 241 booking that otherwise meets all the date restrictions for the Book with Confidence policy.

• BJ says:

According to comments earlier today @Neil was going to have a go at changing one so perhaps he’ll report back soon.

• memesweeper says:

Seems to depend on the agent! Hang up and call again if you’d like a different answer.

• Scottydogg says:

I want to get a British Airways Premium card , is the 25,000 / 26,000 sign up the best it gets , or do they often offer increased rates ?

• jason says:

Has anyone had success with this from the artical on 5th May
    Is your Avios flight cancelled by British Airways? You can rebook for ANY date, even if Avios seats are not available!
    Thanks
    Jason

• Laura_D says:

Silly question, but anyone know of a way to get cheap(er) Eurostar tickets? My partner and I are
    looking at a weekend in Paris on the 17th of July but return is £200…and rapidly increasing.

Club Eurostar points are quite a high redemption, and Amex MR conversions into Eurostar aren’t at too favourable a rate. I’ve looked at BA as a late night flight but it’s more expensive than the train and frankly more hassle.

Is there any other potential route I’m missing? Amex Travel is pretty steep as well, should I just bite the bullet on the £200 x 2? Seems like a bit of a ripoff considering pandemic, less than great travel, lounges closed etc.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

L

• Keith says:

Train – ferry – train See https://www.seat61.com/London-Paris-ferry.htm

• BJ says:

Work out any cheaper to Ashford?

• mr_jetlag says:

still 500 point trains available on your dates, so not a “high redemption” at 10p/pt you’re saving £££s.

• Rob says:

But converting Amex to Eurostar at 15:1 means, at 10p per point of value, you’re only getting 0.66p per Amex point which isn’t great.

• mr_jetlag says:

True, but OP said Eurostar was a high redemption rate and separately made the point about MR conversions. Assuming points are in hand, she saves £100+ on the cash price.

• Lady London says:

Hum. You’re looking for Eurostar tickets departing London at 10 daya notice, in peak season, in the busiest departure week od this peak season. I think Euros

• Lady London says:

Hum. You’re looking for Eurostar tickets departing London at 10 daya notice, in peak season, in the busiest departure week of this peak season. Is Eurostar back to a full service yet?

Yes there are some ways of getting Eurostar cheaper but requiring more notice and not at peak times.

I hate to mention but lastminute.com can do late notice packages to Paris including trsin and.hotel. ex-colleagues got stunning value by this route last year. start looking from 8 days ahead down to 24-48 ahead. Beware reports are currently that they are not behaving well if something goes wrong or you need a refund.

• Laura_D says:

Thanks all for your responses! Ended up biting the bullet and forking out the cash. Life is too short.