The new HFP chat thread – Friday 10th July

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/10/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-friday-10th-july/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Get up to 100,000 Avios when you join Citigold Wealth Management or Citigold Private Client
FCO advises against cruise ship holidays, invalidating your travel insurance

Nutmeg ad

Comments

1. Paul Irving says:

Hey folks, I have a new youtube channel for video reviews, my first one was the Maldives Hilton Rangali Conrad (used my points to book the hotel and Avios for the flights)

2. Chrisasaurus says:

Sooo anyone else with a personal lease with Arval know if there’s a way to make additional card payments ahead of the DD?

• Freddy says:

Not sure on the card question but beware when you return the car. Arval tried it on with some dubious damage charges after the lease ended until I complained

• Chrisasaurus says:

I’ll be on the lookout but in past performance there will be more than enough legitimate damage for them to focus on!

• Mercedes Benz personal finance have tried it on with me every single time and I am on my 5th or 6th 2 year lease. It pays to photograph every inch of the car before it’s returned and cancel direct debits immediately the final rental has been taken.
        It’s dispiriting at just how inept and amateurish they are.
        About 6 years ago it went to the Financial ombudsman who found in m favour and awarded compensation. 18 months ago the spurious bill amounted to around £900 for a dented boot and excess mileage. It was bizarre and resolved with images.

• I couldn’t have had a more different experience with VW finance. Every time they’ve e been so reasonable and professional with their car collection.

The last car I handed back I feared I was going to charged a fortune, it came in at £72

• For the benefit of Edinburgh readers who missed the comments last time, I’ll just drop in here that Eastern-Western Group are happy to take amex. Did very nicely from that, Andrew I think it was, also reported a similar positive experience.

• VW finance take Amex as well.

• Why do you keep going back to them?!

• Crafty says:

Why are you on your 5th lease with them given this behaviour?

3. CheapCharlie says:

Just seen on the app all the upgarde offers to club within Europe have dropped from £99 to £69. Applies to all my current bookings to end of January including Canaries flights.

• memesweeper says:

I’ve seen £69 before.

My only eligible future flight is showing an upgrade “offer” price of over £400, so this is not a bargain on all flights!

4. Harry T says:

Trying to pay Amex with my Curve card with Revolut card underlying, but the transactions are being declined. My understanding is it should be possible to pay Amex with Curve backed by an underlying debit card (but not a credit card), even if I just have the free Curve subscription. Am I missing something here?

• Pangolin says:

It works for me (IHG via Curve).

Why would you have Revolut as the underlying card instead of something that generates points though?

• Harry T says:

Because I should get charged 1.5% if I use an underlying credit card when using Curve to pay amex but a debit card like Revolut should be free?

• Never noticed any 1.5s, 2.99s or whatever on any of my many recent transactions.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Assume Harry is referring to Fronted.

Harry just pay by bacs?

• Fronted is in MIAmi.

• Harry T says:

@BJ you can pay the seagulls with Curve and not pay 1.5% or have to blocked? Do you have Metal?

• @Harry, I have blue, and see comment above, I am not alone, and I have no idea why. I raised the question the other day as to whether it was curve-related or customer-related but got no illuminating answers.

• Travel Strong says:

Fronted is not in miami for me. Tried an amex payment and authorisation appeared with a fronted fee (declined as fronted turned off).

• slowbrain says:

I have the legacy black card with fronted turned off.
        For any transaction where a debit card would be required, whatever underlying card I use, the transaction is declined and the declined transaction entry shows that there would have been a curve fronted fee applied.
        What am I missing?
        How are people making use of the MCC issue without also paying Fronted fees?
        Or are the people successfully doing debit card transactions with underlying IHG etc simply using Metal?

• See my reply to Harry above.

• James says:

I have blue card and no transactions to pay credit cards are accepted without Fronted turned on. Ernie works fine mind without fronted

• You can do it straight from Revolut, no need to involve Curve.

• Harry T says:

Thanks, figured out a way to do it from Revolut.

• Secret Squirrel says:

How about paying IHG with Curve with Virgin card behind?

• Roberto says:

I have stopped collecting Virgin and not using my (free) card. Nurdled my balance to 1 more mile than I need for my next planned VS award and now back on the Hilton band wagon.

• Travel Strong says:

There is no need to do this, cut out the curvey middle man

• Secret Squirrel says:

How much are you all putting through Revolut a week?
        I’m only doing £700 but I suspect others are putting through a lot more without any KYC?

5. Alice says:

Query about BA vouchers. We had a flight to ATL scheduled for March 2020, booked in economy with Avios in the sale in December (so only paid 50% Avios), but decided at the last minute not to travel (inbound flight was subsequently cancelled). Given that we a) made the decision in a hurry, b) were less than 24-hours away from the flight, c) had checked in, and d) BA were making it all but impossible to do anything else, we requested the voucher (in an attempt to avoid losing out altogether). I’ve since tried to get it changed to a refund, but with no luck. Does anyone know whether, if we use the voucher to re-book equivalent flights, we would then have the option of cancelling them and getting a refund that way (paying the usual £35 fee for Avios booking changes)? Any help here would be appreciated!

• Apparently BA IS now allowing you to break a voucher if you agree to pay the £35 if it was an Avios booking. Apparently this is policy but BA refuses to confirm it in writing, so we haven’t covered it. Two readers told me separately they had done it though.

6. Simon says:

Anyone else get a letter from Amex re Marriott 3 point to 2 points per £1 earning rate happening in Aug?

• Yes. Aug 22nd for me.

• Pangolin says:

Nothing so far

• Harry T says:

Got it yesterday!

• Got mine yesterday despite having already cancelled my card. Knowing it was coming I tried for a retention offer without success.

• slowbrain says:

How come I’ve been getting 2 points per £ for some time now?

I thought this change happened ages ago?

• If you held the card before the change you should still be getting 3 points. Contact them and they will credit you the missing poihts, and suggest that you feel a goodwill gesture should be considered to retain your loyalty (but make sure you get the Brighton team).

7. UK opts out of EU Covid-19 vaccine scheme:

8. At Schipol – Denied access for Both BA and Priority Pass lounge at 5.30 pm. Told they shut at 6 now.

9. rams1981 says:

GBIT back working on curve

10. Nigel W says:

FYI regarding Tesco Bank Current Account holders, they’re scrapping the 1% interest rate. https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-8506729/Best-bank-accounts-Tesco-Bank-axe-credit-September.html