The new HFP chat thread – Saturday 11th July

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/11/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-11th-july/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

'My Favourite Hotel' review - Carmel Forest Spa Resort, Haifa, Israel
ZERO fines issued for breaches of English or Scottish travel quarantine rules

Nutmeg ad

Comments

1. reney says:

Morning all,

I have seen comments about Curve MCC codes being 8999 recently so ok to use on Rev. How do I find out what the MCC is? I did one transaction and clicked around but can’t see anything in my card’s pending transaction (I know this varies by card providers). It says business serviced on my curve history. All help welcomed, Thx

• James says:

I have just been told about this myself. Only way I can check is on Virgin Money it shows the MCC on pending transactions. My other cards dont give me this detail

• If there is no cide there will be a transaction description which usually sheds some light on the matter.

• James says:

Not the case I see with Creation or MBNA. Virgin is the only way I can see the MCC and/or description

• Harry T says:

I can’t see a description or MCC on Creation app or website.

• James says:

Sorry my last comment was misleading. I can only see the MCC and description from Virgin Money website. I can not see such information from the app nor other credit card companies I am with (i.e. Creation and MBNA)

• Long left MBNA and creation only gave me a £1000 limit so not on the Curve playing field. The Curve app gives a description but I cannot say if
            that is meaningful or not. I never pay much attention to these things as I’ve been guided by comments on here and it has paid off since I have so far avoided charges of any sort.

2. Chrisasaurus says:

Has anyone had a Radisson status enrollment (Amex Plat) processed recently? Never bothered with half of them as already have status but dont use Radissons generally so submitted the form ahead of a few stays. It’s been over a week, but I don’t know what normal is let alone 2020 normal – anyone got recent data?

• Travel Strong says:

On 6th June I opened a new radisson account and submitted via the amex enrollment page. I am showing as Gold on the radisson site today.

• Cathy says:

I have done the same recently via Amex Plat and it took just over two weeks

• Chrisasaurus says:

Thanks both

Fingers crossed, extra points would be a nice thing to have as its some expensive stays…

• Paul74 says:

I’ve had two experiences of the AMEX-Radisson link being slow to happen (first linking my to my Radisson account to get the status then setting up the points transfer link). Both times required me to contacting Amex customer services. Got sorted both times in the end.

3. Richie says:

Wondered if anyone had any insights on a question i had:

Amex Platinum Travel Insurance – i bought some Ryanair flights in Jan to go to Portugal next week. Portugal is still on the “do not travel to” list. I cancelled my Amex Platinum card in March. Would the flights still be covered under the Amex Plat Insurance (as the flights were bought/insured with Amex Plat) or does the insurance cover end when i cancelled the card (march)?

Tied to that, does anyone know if Ryanair has to give me a refund or a voucher if I don’t fly next week, or do i just lose my money/flights – i mean, Ryanair is still flying to Portugal (typical!) despite the UK GVT saying “don’t go”.

Confused of Tunbridge Wells 🙂

• memesweeper says:

I can’t comment on the insurance.

Ryanair are under no obligation to refund you or provide any flexibility if you choose not to travel. If FCO or similar advice obliges you to stay at home you should take this up with your insurer.

• Ryanair doesn’t have to refund. You have cancelled your insurance. I’m afraid there is no recourse to recover the money except if they cancel the flight now (which they might…)

• As far as I’m aware the insurance ends as soon as you cancel the card.

4. Andrew says:

Amex offers have really dried up. We had the lovely £100 ones (or multiples there of) and I guess there is shop small but otherwise there is literally nothing. I wonder if we can expect anything more from Platinum in their attempt to retain our membership despite not travelling.

• Have you not claimed 20k MR points retention offer?

• Andrew says:

I have yes, but I want more! I mean just some of the usually quite useful offers would be nice. Restaurants, shops etc. “Spend £1000, get 10% back at Bergnaza Jewellery” is hardly very appealing.

• Sukes says:

@Meta I’ve yet to try to bag my 20k but will do so this wk. Did you do by phone or webchat? Did they offer any smaller amount first? And I presume there are no conditions attached to accepting the pts? Welcome any colour you can offer.

• Lady London says:

make sure you are talking to Brighton before you ask when you call. You can ask to be transferred if you didnt land with them initially

• Paul74 says:

& be prepared to say ‘okay then, I’d like to cancel’ if they refuse.

• Lady London says:

do same if all they offer you is paying annual fer in monthly instalments which is their other cheapo wheeze.

Focus on the fact that German cardholders have routinely beem offered 40,000 MR’s to stay at even low spend levels

• Some have been offered 15k only as the maximum. Depends slightly.

• Sukes says:

Thks to all for the tips – will get my game plan in shape

• I suppose it depends. Do you value your S75 protection? Or prefer the weak German laws in which Amex bends over to Lufthansa’s wishes wrt chargebacks? So take the MR.

• To be honest if you have not claimed when they offered 20k, I don’t think you’ll get more than 15k. After all, £100 sweetener was after this so they might just point that out. Really in this game you need to learn that there is no waiting time for weeks on end. We’ve seen this happening with IB 90k promo, IHG dynamic pricing, etc.

• Chrisasaurus says:

And don’t forget to feed back here so I can copy you 🙂

5. Lashious says:

HI apologies if covered before, I seem to think I can finesse the shop small by paying at a paypoint store for my council tax, was this an old loop. or have I got my wires crossed? If not, I’ll just have to by too much wine from Mulberry’s and quaff again

• mark2 says:

You will be lucky to find a Shop Small retail participant who will let you use Amex on PayPoint.
      Some banks have had Coop cash back in the past but HSBC and First Direct have now stopped all cash back.

• Brighton Belle says:

+1 . . . . . .out of 10 places I tried to use Amex in paypoint enabled convenience stores it was “No” or “card machine’s broke mate”. And all these shops are within 1 mile of Amex HQ Brighton.

6. david says:

Is something wrong with seat spy ?
    Its showing 4 seat availability for first class to LAX on everyday from
    25th October – June 2021. The seats aren’t there.

• Brian W says:

Yes, the routes I’m tracking went haywire about 3 hours again and it’s not showing availability further out than 10months so something is wrong. It was fine this afternoon.

It’s not reliable at all.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Think there has been a problem at both sites with First availability for a while now.

• 4F seats from Abu Dhabi at the end of October half term popped up yesterday – and they DID exist!

Booked them as a fall back in case my Muscat return has to be cancelled due to Oman remaining closed.

• Grimz says:

Are you really travelling this year Rob? I just gave up on Arizona in November today do you think BA would give me a voucher?

• UAE is open now, hopefully won’t change. The high end resorts are also huge given the number of guests.

• Andrew says:

A shame it’ll just be a Pret salad in a box and a mini bottle of wine though. Amenity kits and PJs supplied as normal though.

7. dezbez says:

Watching a Live Aid programme on BBC2 just now, with reference to Concorde (Phil Collins flew over to the US on it to perform both at Wembley and Philadelphia). Wondering if the BA Exec Club was around in the days of Concorde and if anyone in this group ever flew on it with points, if so?

• Andrew says:

Exec Club launched in 1982 – so they certainly were able to collect Air Miles (as they were known then) on Concorde. But don’t know the specifics on redeeming the miles on Concorde.

8. Chris Heyes says:

I Think my first Ar miles flight was around 1982/83 but not 100%
    I Can remember vaguely flying to New York for New York Marathon around then
    Alberto Salazar Won it, i had the qualifying time them days (many moons ago lol)
    Americans put all Elite Runners except one from each country behind 1,000 fun runners
    to give Alberto a chance which he took (we had no chance if you are a runner you will know how much energy is wasted getting past over 1,000s runners (lol America’s little cheat)
    Flight & Hotel plus Breakfast in Central Park was all FREE plus as elite athletes everything was free in eateries around New York pre- Marathon for 3 days
    pre-evening party and party after was brill all free
    PS i managed top 100 so failed to get in Olympics that was my worst Marathon but enjoyed every bit of it lol