Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Saturday 11th July

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/11/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-11th-july/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Comments (98)

• Tanya Wade says:

Has anyone stayed in the Anantara Benhavis, Costa del Sol and have any feedback?

• James says:

Does anyone know the MCC when topping up Revolut and Monese using a debit card?

• Connor says:

The same as using a credit card? 4829. You won’t be charged using a debit card. Remember, all transactions using Curve are using 8999 for now.

• James says:

I have not noticed all Curve transactions being 8999? Are you telling me all cash advances are 8999 and remain that way once processed?

• Connor says:

Yes, use it while you can!

• James says:

Hmmm I maybe cautious with this. I presume a lot of people could be doing this and I often find Revolut is not very realiable. Thanks for the tip

• Connor says:

Not been exploiting it for Revolut myself, but it’s been that good I’ve hit my 30 day limit within 2 days!

• James says:

What’s your 30 day limit and what have you put this on?

• Connor says:

30 day limit is 20k. Just been looping a card which would normally incur cash advance fees + taking advantage of Curve Cash with it.

• James says:

How are you benefiting with Curve Cash when looping cards?

• James says:

Slowrain, what type of transactions you doing that’s not fronted? Ernie?

I have Metal and Blue so what you do maybe a useful tip for the Blue Card

• Connor says:

Look at credit card providers that also happen to be on the Curve Cash list.

• reney says:

Does anyone know how I can change my curve cash retailers? I hold metal. Thanks

• Connor says:

Give Curve a message in the app. They changed mine a few months ago after asking nicely.

• Reney says:

Thanks Connor, I am allow to change retailers, but can I please 🙂 have more clues about who I should select, as I only get to change it once and I have to select all 6 in one go.

• jek says:

Word of warning: it seems that not all cards or transactions are 8999! Mine has the usual ones.

• Connor says:

Are you sure? They’ve been 8999 since they switched from Wirecard for what it seems is everyone.

• reney says:

Thanks, I am allow to change retailers, but can I please 🙂 have more clues about who I should select, as I only get to change it once and I have to select all 6 in one go.

• Mike says:

OT Amex:

Has anyone had any ‘home improvement’ type offers on their Platinum recently? I used to see offers for Victorian Plumbing, various furniture stores etc on a semi-regular basis but I have nothing right now.

About to embark on a complete gut + refurb of a 2 bed maisonette including new kitchen, bathroom and furnishings…

• Anna says:

Amex pretty rubbish for me as well, but don’t forget the BA e store, loads of furniture shops on there as I reminded myself when I was looking at new beds this week.

• reney says:

Morning all,

I have seen comments about Curve MCC codes being 8999 recently so ok to use on Rev. How do I find out what the MCC is? I did one transaction and clicked around but can’t see anything in my card’s pending transaction (I know this varies by card providers). It says business serviced on my curve history. All help welcomed, Thx

• James says:

I have just been told about this myself. Only way I can check is on Virgin Money it shows the MCC on pending transactions. My other cards dont give me this detail

• BJ says:

If there is no cide there will be a transaction description which usually sheds some light on the matter.

• James says:

Not the case I see with Creation or MBNA. Virgin is the only way I can see the MCC and/or description

• Harry T says:

I can’t see a description or MCC on Creation app or website.

• James says:

Sorry my last comment was misleading. I can only see the MCC and description from Virgin Money website. I can not see such information from the app nor other credit card companies I am with (i.e. Creation and MBNA)

• BJ says:

Long left MBNA and creation only gave me a £1000 limit so not on the Curve playing field. The Curve app gives a description but I cannot say if
            that is meaningful or not. I never pay much attention to these things as I’ve been guided by comments on here and it has paid off since I have so far avoided charges of any sort.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Has anyone had a Radisson status enrollment (Amex Plat) processed recently? Never bothered with half of them as already have status but dont use Radissons generally so submitted the form ahead of a few stays. It’s been over a week, but I don’t know what normal is let alone 2020 normal – anyone got recent data?

• Travel Strong says:

On 6th June I opened a new radisson account and submitted via the amex enrollment page. I am showing as Gold on the radisson site today.

• Cathy says:

I have done the same recently via Amex Plat and it took just over two weeks

• Chrisasaurus says:

Thanks both

Fingers crossed, extra points would be a nice thing to have as its some expensive stays…

• Paul74 says:

I’ve had two experiences of the AMEX-Radisson link being slow to happen (first linking my to my Radisson account to get the status then setting up the points transfer link). Both times required me to contacting Amex customer services. Got sorted both times in the end.

• Richie says:

Wondered if anyone had any insights on a question i had:

Amex Platinum Travel Insurance – i bought some Ryanair flights in Jan to go to Portugal next week. Portugal is still on the “do not travel to” list. I cancelled my Amex Platinum card in March. Would the flights still be covered under the Amex Plat Insurance (as the flights were bought/insured with Amex Plat) or does the insurance cover end when i cancelled the card (march)?

Tied to that, does anyone know if Ryanair has to give me a refund or a voucher if I don’t fly next week, or do i just lose my money/flights – i mean, Ryanair is still flying to Portugal (typical!) despite the UK GVT saying “don’t go”.

Confused of Tunbridge Wells 🙂

• memesweeper says:

I can’t comment on the insurance.

Ryanair are under no obligation to refund you or provide any flexibility if you choose not to travel. If FCO or similar advice obliges you to stay at home you should take this up with your insurer.

• BS says:

Ryanair doesn’t have to refund. You have cancelled your insurance. I’m afraid there is no recourse to recover the money except if they cancel the flight now (which they might…)

• Ryan says:

As far as I’m aware the insurance ends as soon as you cancel the card.

• Andrew says:

Amex offers have really dried up. We had the lovely £100 ones (or multiples there of) and I guess there is shop small but otherwise there is literally nothing. I wonder if we can expect anything more from Platinum in their attempt to retain our membership despite not travelling.

• meta says:

Have you not claimed 20k MR points retention offer?

• Andrew says:

I have yes, but I want more! I mean just some of the usually quite useful offers would be nice. Restaurants, shops etc. “Spend £1000, get 10% back at Bergnaza Jewellery” is hardly very appealing.

• Sukes says:

@Meta I’ve yet to try to bag my 20k but will do so this wk. Did you do by phone or webchat? Did they offer any smaller amount first? And I presume there are no conditions attached to accepting the pts? Welcome any colour you can offer.

• Lady London says:

make sure you are talking to Brighton before you ask when you call. You can ask to be transferred if you didnt land with them initially

• Paul74 says:

& be prepared to say ‘okay then, I’d like to cancel’ if they refuse.

• Lady London says:

do same if all they offer you is paying annual fer in monthly instalments which is their other cheapo wheeze.

Focus on the fact that German cardholders have routinely beem offered 40,000 MR’s to stay at even low spend levels

• Josh says:

Some have been offered 15k only as the maximum. Depends slightly.

• Sukes says:

Thks to all for the tips – will get my game plan in shape

• Don says:

I suppose it depends. Do you value your S75 protection? Or prefer the weak German laws in which Amex bends over to Lufthansa’s wishes wrt chargebacks? So take the MR.

• meta says:

To be honest if you have not claimed when they offered 20k, I don’t think you’ll get more than 15k. After all, £100 sweetener was after this so they might just point that out. Really in this game you need to learn that there is no waiting time for weeks on end. We’ve seen this happening with IB 90k promo, IHG dynamic pricing, etc.

• Chrisasaurus says:

And don’t forget to feed back here so I can copy you 🙂

• Lashious says:

HI apologies if covered before, I seem to think I can finesse the shop small by paying at a paypoint store for my council tax, was this an old loop. or have I got my wires crossed? If not, I’ll just have to by too much wine from Mulberry’s and quaff again

• mark2 says:

You will be lucky to find a Shop Small retail participant who will let you use Amex on PayPoint.
      Some banks have had Coop cash back in the past but HSBC and First Direct have now stopped all cash back.

• Brighton Belle says:

+1 . . . . . .out of 10 places I tried to use Amex in paypoint enabled convenience stores it was “No” or “card machine’s broke mate”. And all these shops are within 1 mile of Amex HQ Brighton.