The new HFP chat thread – Monday 13th July

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/13/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-monday-13th-july/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Book now for IHG and Best Western '3 for 2' hotel deals
LAST CHANCE: Get 15,000 points (=15,000 Avios) sign-up bonus with Capital On Tap's Visa SME credit card!

Nutmeg ad

Comments

1. With the personal gold, you receive 3k MR for a supplementary card, does anyone know if this is the same with the gold business card, as you can have upto 99 supplementary cards. TIA.

• memesweeper says:

I’ve applied for Gold Bus. supp. and got nothing. Set your expectations to match.

• roberto says:

Personal Sups you should only get the bonus for the first one but I and others have had it on the second and third. Same with the Plat and sups.

On the Gold Biz you should get it for every sup. I had 20 plus sups and bonuses once (including one for my dog). I dont have the biz card currently but will no doubt get one again later this year or early next.

• memesweeper says:

Wow — I might just raise a chat and ask where mine is then! How much did you get (each)?

• Venturelog says:

But for the personal supp. after the 1st you get charged no?

• Worzel says:

Roberto(13:09) with all those sups, is it then that you won a million Avios ……… :).

• roberto says:

Hi Worzel , The million Avios was a Avis/Iberia promo and I burnt through those suckers in no time.. Was great fun I must admit.

• Worzel says:

Glad you had a good time roberto- the hobby needs to be fun!

2. Thought I’d report back on a question I asked last week in case it’s helpful to anyone else – my 2-4-1 booking to Sydney for August was cancelled. I rang today and they happily rebooked me on QR business class for the same date. Also told me the BA baggage allowance would still apply (more generous than QR) and BA change/cancellation terms still apply.

• Result!

• Venturelog says:

That’s really good! congrats!
      So you were able to use your 2for1 on QR?

• Indirectly, yes. BA cancelled the Sydney route for all of August, so they rebooked me on QR.

• Polly says:

Wow great news. Fancy a similar plan for our end Jan 21 J 241 to SYD also…

• Harry T says:

Excellent result – hope you’re allowed in! I heard that they are charging returning residents for quarantine in NSW soon, so keep an eye out.

• Just in case you haven’t seen, Sydney will start charging for the mandatory 14-day quarantine stay soon!

• Thanks. I think there’s a waiver of the fees for anyone who had flights booked before last Sunday, so fingers crossed that applies!

• Lady London says:

They are and it’s $3000 AUD I think.

3. Andreas says:

Just tried calling BA to refund a cancelled flight. The automated voice said “call volumes are very high right now, please call back later”. Anyone have any idea about the best time to call? I’d like a cash refund as I paid for the flights of five other people, who want their money back rather than a voucher

• Just press the number as if you were making a new booking. They are deliberately making it harder for people to obtain a refund.

• Andreas says:

I called and pressed # to jump straight to an agent, I’m on hold now. Was worried that the “new bookings” team would just transfer me, where I’d get hung up on again!

• Lady London says:

Someone has *got* to get the regulator to takea look at these deliberate practices by BA to deny giving customers the refunds they are entitled to receive within 7 days.

• The last 2 times I’ve had to do this I called fairly early in the morning and got through quite quickly (within 5 minutes). The last time though, they insisted on passing me through to another department so I was on hold for about another 20 minutes. It’s outrageous that they haven’t put their IT right so you can get a refund you are entitled to online, and about time someone held them to account for it.

• Andreas says:

They’re making it harder to make people consider taking the voucher instead so they don’t lose cash as quickly. I think they may have had better success with the voucher if there were better incentives to take the voucher. I read on one of the av geek forums that you had to call them to use the voucher, which makes it entirely pointless as an exercise to avoid having to call them!

• ChrisC says:

Well it even says it on the BA website you have to call them. And in the voucher email. It’s not a secret loophole the bloggers have discovered! Mentioned here literally hundreds of times as well.

They were supposed to have changed it to be able to use it online but I’ve not read the relevant thread on flyer talk in a while so don’t know the current situation. But it would be an improvement. But remember they introduced the voucher scheme very quickly and they did the best they could.

I called a couple of times in recent weeks once to cancel and refund and once to use a voucher. Phone waits in the early evening around 7pm were approx 15-20 minutes. My voucher booking call was 3 minutes quick because I had done the searches for the flights I wanted beforehand so could quote the times and numbers etc. I could tell the relief in the agents voice when I said I could give her those details rather than for her to go through 28 different options!

I know people on here seem to think that offering a voucher is a bad thing but IMHO it has actually saved a lot of people a lot of money,

They introduced the scheme just as I was going to cancel a flight which was still operated (but my next flights ex ARN on AY had been cancelled)

Without the voucher I would have got back £50 ish for a voluntary cancellation Instead I have a credit of £260. I know which I would rather have In those circumstances.

Yes it can be a pain to call but remember the vast majority of BA flyers have absolutely no idea HfP etc exist and they build their systems for the masses.

• Lady London says:

@ChrisC it will *never be possible to use these BA vouchers online. Voucher=frozen booking. These come in all shapes and sizes so will always need you to contact a human to unbundle/understand/decide what can be used and in what way towards a future booking.

It would be impossible to code so the system can create a new booking by itself given all the variation and knowledge needed as above.

4. Michelle says:

Hi looking for resort/hotel in Europe that has all inclusive water sports does anyone have any recommendations. or ideas
    thanks

• Aston100 says:

Do you want to narrow down your selection of countries a bit?

• Rachel R says:

Have you looked at Neilson?

• I did a couple of All Inclusives in the 90s and found that the “included” water sports involved spending a lot of time trying to find an available session to book along with everyone else and anything remotely exciting had to be paid extra for. This was at quite a fancy resort in the Bahamas as well! Since then we just book and pay for anything like this separately – OH dives as well which isn’t normally included so paying extra for facilities he wouldn’t use is a bit pointless.

5. Harry T says:

Has anyone received notice about Newcastle to Barcelona EasyJet flights being cancelled? I have flights booked for early August but the entire month of August is now showing as sold out on their website and cannot be booked.

• Darren says:

My sister has bookings on this route at the end of Aug and I was also looking to go next month, oh well not now then.

6. I’ve decied to get a new watch and converting Clubcard points to Goldsmith vouchers loks liks a great option. However, it’s going to take me some time to accumulate £500 of Tesco voucher which would convert to £1500 Goldsmiths vouchers. Apart form the Tesco pet insurance, are there any offers at the moment that I should review ? Or are the days of many thousands of Clubcard boost points pretty much over ?

• There are offers for double points (I think) on some Amexes when you spend at Tesco and a few other shops. I can’t remember whether you get Clubcard points on gift cards but I’m thinking not otherwise that would have been an option!

• Though there are some cracking deals on places like Watches of Switzerland if you decide to pay cash – OH and I got a really nice new watch each this summer for our 50ths for half the retail price. Earned a few avios through the e store and helped trigger a 2 4 1.

• Binks says:

Do you mind sharing what branded watch? I am considering buying a Rolex – a would be nice 25% +.

7. Aston100 says:

Probably irrelevant to those who frequent this site, but IHG seem to have a fast track challenge to get to Platinum status with 5 days within 90 days:

8. GRIMZ says:

Do you think BA would give me a voucher if I cancelled a flight to LA in November on a 241?

9. Jaipal says:

We have a flight booked to tel aviv Sept 4…We booked in January so we arent covered under the flexible booking scheme…Do you think BA will extend their voucher policy to September. I guess i should just sit tight.

10. Shanghaiguizi says:

Planning a trip to Barcelona next June and not sure if I should book the Kimpton or the Hilton curio. Anybody want to weigh in on pros and cons of each. Anniversary break, want good food and shopping. A good hotel bar is also needed

Both look to be in the similar price range of 180 euro per night. Have status with ihg and Hilton. Might give emyr a call to see if he has anything he can recommend.

11. not sure when it happened but i notice easyjet flexi has significantly changed the window in which you can make free changes. its gone from 4 weeks down to 1 day