The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 14th July

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/14/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-14th-july/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

'My Favourite Hotel' review - The Peninsula, Shanghai
400 UK Travelodge hotels may change brand as landlords lose patience - and money

Nutmeg ad

Comments

1. rahaney says:

Does the Amex Platinum Car Hire Excess Insurance only apply when booked on the Plat? Or any Amex MR cards?
    Cheers

• I don’t think it matters how it was booked (amex or not)

• Travel Strong says:

Not insurance related, but Hertz amex plat benefit related:

I regularly book rentals using the platinum CPD and make most of the amex plat hr grace period (e.g. prebook 5 days and 4 hours, for the price of 5 days)

This always worked. fine when handing over amex plat at the counter.

But the one time I used another card (to try and avoid the 3% forex fee) the system added on a charge for the 4 hours excess upon vehicle return. The desk agent grudgingly waived it but would not entertain that it was allowed under the amex platinum CPD. Lesson learnt! Swallow the 3% fee and use platinum for an easy life!
      nce did not get my 4hr grace period on la

• Travel Strong says:

Ignore last line of above comment. Its leftovers from the cutting room floor.

2. Darren says:

@Harry T

NCL to BCN flights in August have gone, nothing until Sept.

• Harry T says:

@Darren
      Thanks, saw that in the calendar. Have you heard anything official about cancellation yet? I want them to cancel my flights so I can change them to another set of flights for free.

• Darren says:

Nothing as yet, I’ll let you know when I get anything

• Harry T says:

Might be worth checking the app – my flights were booked for 6th to 9th August and the booking has just shown this evening that the flights are cancelled. They are apparently informing customers three weeks out. Good news is you can change to any flights in their European network for free, to the end of their calendar.

3. oafcmetty says:

I have a Creation IHG free night voucher which expires at the end of 2020. T&C seem to suggest both the booking and the actual stay have to be within this date, however if I try and book into 2021 it’s offering availability.

Anyone know if I’ll run into problems doing this, or will it go through fine?

• No problem – unless you end up cancelling the stay, of course, because you won’t get the voucher back as it has passed its expiry date.

4. Jonathan says:

Got a letter today from Virgin Money KYC Department wanting proof of funds etc. Is this good/bad/indifferent?

• Pat the Postie says:

For what a savings or credit card? They are quite strict in general.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Jonathen:
      How much are you putting through a month in relation to your credit limit?

• Jimbob says:

Would be good to know some figures.
        I’m currently making good use of a different branded premier MasterCard, half expecting a call or letter.

• Jonathan says:

Virgin Rewards+ card. Credit limit is £25k and putting through £15k ish a month on it.

• Genghis says:

I got shut down in late 2018.

• The Urbanite says:

If MSing more than your income KYC/proof of source of funds prep is boring but crucial if you want to stay in the game.

Try and establish why they are KYCing you. Is your spend covered by the level of income you have declared to them? Do they think you are using the card for business purposes, or do they think you are doing MS or ML? If it’s genuine and personal spend they should be content with proof of source income or savings. If you are MSing, consider the business – are they MS friendly? What do we know about Virgin Money?

Knowledge of the business and their intentions should inform the way you frame your response.

• WaynedP says:

ML = money laundering, I presume
        MS = ?

• The Urbanite says:

Manufactured spend.

• WaynedP says:

Ahh, thx. What Curve refers to as “cash recycling” in their T&Cs then.

My education continues. All I need to do now is work out what Ernie and Seagull refers to. Suspect the former could be related to NS&I premium bonds, but could be way off as I can’t imagine why investing money in NS&I within legal limits should be spoken of in coded language.

Mind you, I wasn’t sophisticated enough to think of the concept of cash recycling until pointed out to me by others.

5. O’Leary throwing the toys out of the pram again. 92% of Ryanair flights not subject to Dublin government’s restrictions.

• Callum says:

But the 1000 flights that they have cancelled between the UK and Ireland are covered by the restrictions, so I don’t see the relevance in it only being 8% of their enormous network?

I don’t particularly care about Ryanair, and they are clearly only interested in their bottom line, but it seems like a valid argument for them to be making (and a valid response from the Irish government would be “tough”).

6. Munch says:

Just received my second 10,000 bonus points on my IHG credit card following the recent offer. I believe a few people were still waiting – probably worth checking your account.