The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 14th July

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/14/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-14th-july/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

'My Favourite Hotel' review - The Peninsula, Shanghai
400 UK Travelodge hotels may change brand as landlords lose patience - and money

Nutmeg ad

Comments

1. KBuffett says:

I’ve received a ‘American Express Promotion Credit’ on my Platinum Charge Card. Can anyone suggest what this maybe for?

• I believe that they were proactively giving credit against the membership fee for those who had a card since the beginning of the year (?)

• Andrew says:

How much is the credit for? The ‘retention’ bonus was in the form of points, which you could convert to a credit if you wanted or keep as points or transfer to airlines etc.

• Fred (Your comment is awaiting moderation) says:

points credit? IIRC it just said £250 rebate

• Plat Business is £250 in cash, guaranteed. Plat Personal was 15-20k points IF you rang up and begged AND they took kindly on you.

• I got lucky with Plat business. I phoned and got £150 credit and then they announced the £250 rebate a few days later. £400 back in total.

2. ankomonkey says:

Cancelled flights: Air Asia – only offering account credit for future use; Thai Airways – going through bankruptcy and delaying refund process indefinitely.

Has anyone managed to get a proper refund from either company or am I looking at chargeback/S75?

Thanks!

• That’s been the case since May if I understand correctly. My flights were booked through trip. com. BKK – PNH route was cancelled in late April and got full refund late May. However, the PNH – BKK section is still awaiting refund which I believe not gonna be anytime soon. In my case, chargeback against trip. com would not be working as the agency has been honest in this case and it is more to do with the airline not refunding.

If you book through the airline, I suggest going with chargeback and try to provide as much evidences as possible. Not sure about section 75 as they are not operating in the EU area.

• Aston100 says:

Why would you use an agency to book budget airline tickets? Or was this part of a larger holiday transaction?

• Anthony Edwards says:

Sometimes there are significant savings, and when multiplied by multiple travellers it can add up. I have Ukrainian Airlines flights booked to Georgia that were over £100 each cheaper each through an OTA. Significant as we’re a family of four.

When things go wrong though, like they have recently, it adds another layer of complexity to resolution. It’s basically a gamble.

• Yes it was. Trip. com has large connection footprint in Asia and normally got some very good package deals on offer. We’ve got everything refunded actually, except that Air Asia flight section.

• Clive says:

AirAsia have actually been the worst. I had flights cancelled in March and went through “AVA” for a refund. Still waiting so started a charge back.

Now my August Asian venture is cancelled and have tried to get another flight credit to my account, not a refund, and they are only dealing with flights up to June.

The website is very misleading and they have small print which puts obstacles in your way such as the dates which they will action credit to the account which is not shown on the Covid landing page. A very grey area!

#InThisTogether they say but mean #InThisOnYourOwn

• If you speak to a human rather than the automated system they will offer you a refund but say it could take 4 months to process

3. memesweeper says:

I don’t , but flightconnections.com has a OneWorld filter on its map.

4. Benilyn says:

Where did we get to on the new refunds function? Can we do refund to cash, then to any card? Do we know that or speculating?

5. Simon says:

Morning All, bendy 8999 question, if I may: is there any hay to be made using M&M? My experience, prior to w/card demise, is that M&M would apply fees with alacrity. 🙁 Just wondering if there were any datapoints to the contrary at the moment? Many thanks in advance.

• Graeme2 says:

M&M to Ernie worked for me – no fees yet, but not sure whether they would be added immediately or when the statement is created

• Algor says:

Wasn’t Ernie in my case, thank you!

In the game for years and still missing the obvious …

• Simon says:

Many thanks, Graeme. That’s very good to know.

• Simon says:

Graeme, would you mind reminding me: once deposited into Ernie, how long is it before a withdrawal is available? I recall this being mentioned a few weeks ago, but I can’t remember, typically! I had an idea that there was a circa three-week lag? Thanks again, Simon

• Leigh says:

5-6 working days. My last payment in June took 6 working days to clear.

• Simon says:

This might be my error, Leigh, but I thought 6-7 days was the govbank rather than Ernie? I would prefer to be wrong, though. 🙂

• Simon says:

Many thanks, Leigh.

• Simon says:

* 5-6 days, I meant (typo!)

• Graeme2 says:

Paid in on Thursday last week, not yet available to withdraw.

• Graeme2 says:

To clarify, I got IB not PB, was referring to Ernie generically

• stevenhp1987 says:

5-6 working days.

• Simon says:

Ah, I see. Would anyone know, in that case, if PB takes any longer? Again, I just thought I had seen somewhere in the comments from around three weeks ago that withdrawing from a PB account would, from deposit to being able to withdrawal, take around three weeks or so. Sorry to be flogging this particular horse! 🙁 🙂

• Algor says:

Last time tested in February with bad result, no data point afterwards.

If someone have update would be great.

6. Double Miles and XPs (think TPs) on Air France & KLM for the rest of 2020. As all statuses have been extended for 12 months, this doesn’t help everyone but if you are a silver looking to get to gold (priority security & lounge access), this could be interesting. You would get now 40 XPs for an economy short haul return via AMS or CDG so 7 trips gets you gold from a zero start (4.5 trips would get a current silver member up to gold).

7. Concerto says:

I believe London to Paris RT is something like £280 which would yield 60XP under the new promotion. That works out at £4.67 per XP, an excellent rate (business class fare, of course, but even Economy bookings with a transfer in CDG or AMS are going to be quite lucrative with this).

• There is always the option of routing through both AMS and CDG if you really wanted to go for it. It is normally cheaper to do MME-AMS-CDG-ARN than MME-AMS-ARN.

8. Scottydogg says:

Has anyone had their 2 for 1 voucher extended any further ?
    I had a 2 for 1 voucher extended by 6 months due to covid (i think everyone did) , so its due to run out at the end of February 2021, are are looking to book for Easter so could do with getting it extended by another 2 months . Are BA likley to honour this , has anyone been in this situation ?

I am planning on phoning them to beg if needed 🙂

• Wouldn’t bet on it. Assuming the main Covid disruption period is March-September then the extra 6 months has just put you back to where you were.

• pauldb says:

I you really want to work the system, book a flight for August instead. Then change your mind, take a Future Travel Voucher, and use that FTV to rebook for Easter (it’s valid until April 2022 regardless of the 241’s expiry).

• Scott Mclaren says:

Now this sounds like something i can do ,

• Can you book anyone one way ticket and just cancel with no fees then To then get it extended ?

• memesweeper says:

You can’t book *anyone*, as it stands BA are only (usually?) rebooking the original passenger(s) when you ‘cash in’ your vouchers.

If you know who the passengers are, booking, then promptly cancelling for a FTV will extend the validity of the voucher that supported the original booking.

• Louise says:

Does the FTV have a value which can be used for other flights or is it just a voucher for the 241 flights to the same destination ?

9. Wally1976 says:

I was looking last night for a cheap hotel in London for a family break at the end of October (during school half-term). I came across the Holiday Inn Express Wandsworth and it was only £30 a night! Including breakfast for 4 of us! I realise it’s not exactly luxury and the location isn’t perfect but even so it’s almost absurdly cheap. Anyone been to this property? Trip Advisor reviews are really very good for such a cheap hotel.

• I’ve never been to Wandsworth but there are some great IHG offers around at the moment anyway, so HI and HIE are even cheaper than usual.
      Perhaps someone more local can tell you if they would recommend staying/parking there (if you’re travelling by car).

• It is, literally, opposite the Wandsworth tip (‘recycling centre’) and next to a hugely busy road. Drive thru McDonald’s about 90 seconds walk, as is a Homebase and a BP garage.

However, to be fair, Wandsworth Town station (National Rail, not tube) is only about 2 minutes walk away and just past the station there is a run of interesting local shops. You can be in Waterloo in a couple of minutes on the train. No problem parking at the hotel.

For that sort of money you obviously can’t go wrong.

• Sunguy says:

There used to be an “Outback” restaurant just opposite there too – probably in the same complex as Waddle used to live in. Used to visit quite often (NHS discount on the absurd prices (which is the reason the whole chain in the UK failed) made it affordable). Not bad area ….and easy for central London and definitely worth the £30!

• Graeme2 says:

And The Ship just round the corner has a cracking beer garden facing out onto the river.

• Waddle says:

I used to live in the block of flats opposite the Holiday Inn. In laws often stayed there when visiting us without complaint. The recycling plant, although large, is fairly well tucked away and we never had any problem with it. There used to be a B&Q right next to it but that is currently being developed into more properties. It is very close to the train station and trains into Waterloo are very frequent.

For that money you can’t go wrong and I would even make that statement if the price quoted was several times your amount. Parking is decent as well if you’re driving.

• Doug M says:

Go for it. Wandsworth is very typical of much of London, lots of old flats which can seem intimidating, alongside lots of river view new builds, which seems soulless and deserted. The area is a little odd, but as said a short walk, 5 minutes, to Wandsworth Town station, and is on a stretch of Old York Road which has the feel of a village more than London. Assuming some normality nice restaurants and shops. The Waste place is a couple of hundred metres up the road and not opposite, the immediate neighbours are a BP station, a gym and some seriously expensive flats, along with a closed B&Q, that site to become more luxury new builds assuming the plan continues. Also it’s fairly easy to walk along the river to Putney, maybe a mile, and much closer is a Young’s pub, The Ship, right on the river which is really nice, even if it is next to the ready-mixed concrete place with all the lorries coming and going during the day.

• Wally1976 says:

Thanks for all the replies folks. Parking at the hotel is £16 per 24 hours – seems a lot when the room’s only 30 quid! I might look at other nearby options or might just pay it.

Are the trains from Wandsworth town into Waterloo frequent?

• Bazza says:

Traffic around there used to be murder! Get stuck on that one way system ..forget about it!!

Like the others say – bit of a dump but easy to get out of on the train to London

• Waddle says:

Around 8 trains per hour on weekdays, 6ish on Saturday and 5ish on Sunday I recall. They take about 15mins.

10. Pretty niche question, but can I use an SNA on a famtastic rate with Marriott?

11. rams1981 says:

Curve refunds etc seem to be working fine now. Go to cash and you can use that to spend.

• Yup. And from a rewards perspective that is a good thing too!

• They’re not entirely working: I’m still waiting on a refund for a declined (but charged) transaction on 25 June. And getting any response from Curve customer services is a time-consuming trial because they’re “currently receiving a high volume of messages” (which I assume is code for “you’re not the only one still having problems”).