Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Sunday 19th July

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/19/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-sunday-19th-july/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Comments (130)

• Jonathan says:

I’ve seen a lot of comments re Am Ex giving incentives for people to retain their platinum and gold cards but are they also offering anything to retain the BA Amex ? I’m thinking of giving up mine and getting the blue card as I can’t see myself travelling for a while .

• Makrxx says:

I have an Amex Gold hitting the 1 year mark next month (will cancel after a month so I get the bonus points after spending 15k). Also have a HSBC Premier Elite World MC, which I also have hit the bonus spend for the 1st year.

What card should I be going for next? I’m thinking the BA Amex Premium Plus…but tbh not entirely sold by BA and prefer to claim my flights from London – Singapore (which afaik BA does not have a good product for). Any alternatives or is BA the better ones out there? I make chunky purchases off and on so usually abit to hit the spending/joining bonus.

• Rahaney says:

I think you’re blocked from everything but the BAPP at this point. Do you fly on any of their Oneworld partners/codeshares etc?

• Makrxx says:

Not frequently no, because cash fares for London – Singapore return are usually very cheap. If I do not fly on corporate £, cash fares are usually not more than £500 (paid £380-400 couple of times).

But it’s something I’ll explore as CX J is decent or if I want to fly on to the US. Does seem like BAPP is the choice I have as I’m still eligible for the joining bonus!

Question on that, does it make sense to get the free version of the BA card, and before I hit £10k, to upgrade to the Paid version? Wonder if anyone has done the maths. Also, can I refer myself from an Amex Gold to a BAPP? Suppose not.

• Michael says:

You can self-refer but strongly advise against it

• Anuj says:

If you search twitter you can easily find referral links ! That’s what I do, however no one seems to click my Amex ones so it obviously isn’t a idea many get haha

• memesweeper says:

Unless you run your own business there’s not much doing in the Amex world. The BA PP card should still be available to you with a bonus. If you don’t like BA/Avios for long term spend on Amex the Marriott card works for me, but you won’t get a sign up bonus and, if you hold it, it will prevent you getting a sign up bonus on most of the personal cards.

When the IHG Premium comes back on the market I’d recommend that. Easy target to hit and if rolls over every year.

• Chrisasaurus says:

Anyone happen to have an insight into what the situation is at the Marriott in Leeds? No official mention of being shut but no rooms available any date for the foreseeable (and it ain’t that great of a property!)

• shd says:

Q1: If you are doing a multi-night stay at an IHG property, can you book it as several separate single-night stays, each one with a bonus points package attached?

Q2: Will all the bonus points post – as elite qualifying(!) – correctly, or do the stays get combined before posting and it gets messed up… ?

• Liz says:

My understanding is you don’t need to book them separately. If you book 3 nights with a 1000 pts package then it applies to all 3 nights so you get 3000 elite qualifying pts. Do a dummy booking and you will see the number of estimated pts for the booking.

• Tom1 says:

Any tips for Stansted parking please?

• Sandra says:

Anyone else have problems with M & S purchaseS through BA e store tracking or is it just me? I have made several purchase via e store recently to benefit from both the e store points & the BAPP bonus points. I am just about to query the first via missing points as when I asked a couple of weeks ago I was told I had to wait 35 days before querying missing M & S points.

• rk says:

My M&S points did post, however did take the full 35 days to post.

• Sandra says:

Thanks rk, will wait and check tracking again after the 35 days then

• Crafty says:

Hilton’s dynamic points pricing reaches an illogical head. Points per night for a Standard Room Rewars have now EXCEEDED those required for a Premium Room Reward, at the Conrad Algarve, in May 2021.

• John says:

Can’t find any examples

• Crafty says:

5 days from Saturday 28 May was my search. (We already have the nights booked, but I was checking in case it had gone down from the already extortionate points price; it has gone up.)

• Rob says:

In theory this shouldn’t happen, because the standard pricing should reduce with the lower room rate too!

• Martyn Ford says:

Does anyone know if Al Maha, Dubai is still full board for reward bookings? Thank you.