The new HFP chat thread – Thursday 30th July

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

Historically, the daily ‘Bits’ articles were the de facto repository for random comments and questions.  It is unlikely that the news flow will be so big over the next few weeks that we will need many ‘Bits’ articles, however.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/30/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-thursday-30th-july/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Will IAG get a 50% discount on its purchase of Air Europa?
EXCLUSIVE: British Airways to mothball its Waterside head office

Comments

1. memesweeper says:

My Curve just got knocked back from HMRC self assessment payment *very* quickly at the step before the 3D secure bit. Nothing came up in the app. Got the ‘you probably got the address wrong’ error. I’m checking with Curve but my hunch is HMRC made no effort to take the payment, the rejection was too quick. Payment with another card worked smoothly a few minutes later.

• Simon says:

Ive noticed that curve has my name in caps. When i changed that it worked ok. Use the in app authorise. Not the sms.

• memesweeper says:

Thanks @Simon
        I habitually use ‘all caps’ on forms like these — I’ll check. Also raised with Curve support.

2. Does anyone know if buying petrol at Tesco is included in the 2 bonus Avios for every £1 offer running on Amex? I have a bonus 500 nectar points on fuel at Esso and can’t make up my mind where to buy. I am thinking Tesco as the cost per litre is cheaper and is more convenient and the bonus Avios would be nice. It is also only the second time since February that I will have bought petrol!

3. Laura_D says:

I’ve received a cancellation for LHR to BCN (spread over 2 tickets) from BA which were due to happen in August

Rather left field question – is there anyway I can call BA and ask them to rebook me on a different date but ALSO a different destination within Spain? Say I still want to travel out of LHR but go to AGP instead – if there’s availability would that be an option? Has anyone done something like this?

My thinking is maximising this where possible – orginally I was only going for a weekend, but MMB let’s me change to any available date, so was thinking the full month, just not in BCN.

• Laura_D says:

Sorry should’ve clarified. LHR – BCN – LHR, just done on separate tickets (e.g. 4 diff tickets between my partner and I).

• I think BA may allow it with you paying any change in fare. I assume you booked 2 tickets lhr-bcn-lhr rather than 4 one way flights? If so you could just cancel for a refund or FTV and rebook the new itinerary

• Laura_D says:

What is FTV?

All tickets are avios RFS, and yes I could cancel and get refunded and book separately but have noticed avios availability is zilch for the days which MMB is listing as my options…am guessing rebooked flights take precedence?

So my thinking is that in changing the flight to AGP I think its the same amount of avios (hopefully no fare diff) plus a higher chance of actually getting a flight!

4. Craig W says:

Does anyone have any idea, if BA switch my flights from Gatwick to Heathrow, does that gives me the right to cancel without charge? My flights are to Spain so I might take the opportunity to cancel at this point if that is an option! Thanks in advance

• TGLoyalty says:

BA will try not to be if you stand your ground they will cancel for free

• Andrew says:

Do I lose my chance to cancel for free once I accept the new flights in Manage My Booking? If so, is there any downside in just not accepting? – I assume they aren’t going to cancel the booking if I don’t.

My flights are Oct half term and I’d rather keep the flexibility and assess the situation nearer the time

• Craig W says: