Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Friday 31st July

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

Historically, the daily ‘Bits’ articles were the de facto repository for random comments and questions.  It is unlikely that the news flow will be so big over the next few weeks that we will need many ‘Bits’ articles, however.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/31/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-friday-31st-july/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Comments (139)

• Ed says:

Courtesy of skipness on FlyerTalk, IAG financial update has seemingly confirmed the (expected) end of the LCY-JFK babybus.

Really wanted to give that a go, oh well. Add it to my ever growing list of missed travel experiences

• Rhys says:

Yep, I’m hoping to write a retrospective about the service for next weekend!

• The Urbanite says:

It was nice – I did it in 2016 when they still had the lounge. There was something really cool about the Babybus being parked just outside. The Lloyds Avios voucher did work with it and returned upstairs in a 747 after doing the pre-flight supper at JFK.

The Babybus was lovely to do and the crew were wonderful, I can certainly see the appeal for its target market. But as an occasional leisure traveller I’d rather do the hustle and bustle of Heathrow and get the full lounge and service experience.

• Andrew says:

So which route will get the honour of BA001/BA002?

Newquay or Edinburgh?

• Optimus Prime says:

Same here. Living in SE London I missed the chance to try it at least once 🙁

• KP says:

BA has announced it’s going to retire itsA318 fleet. End of LCY-JFK:(

• YH says:

I have a return First class Avios redemption to DXB in November. I’m booked on a 747 and 777.

Assuming they only run a single daily A350 then, am I correct in assuming I would get downgraded to CW and get 75% of the Avios back?

• Rob says:

No, you’d be downgraded and just get the difference back, because EC261 is suspended to all intents and purposes.

• Lady London says:

Rob where is your info on that.

We know airlines can escape compensation part of EU261 for cancelled flights due to extraordinary [external] circumstances being claimable by them during Covid.

However the EU regulator has published / reminded airlines at least 2x since March that EU261 provisions remain in force otherwise. The DoT in the US has also given similar reminders publicly about tgeir regulations also continuing to be applicable.

• Rob says:

Whether you think you’re liable or not, your chance of BA paying out is very slim without taking them to court.

• Rob says:

Can anyone offer some insight for me.

I’m sure flights from NQY used to be exempt from APD. Now when I check a flight originating there and heading to HKG for example (one way) The taxes are a shopping £466 pp.

Comparitively, Inverness is £266, and direct from london is £389.

I was always hoping for some decent YQ reductions when this route launched.

• ChrisC says:

This came up the otherday. Newquay is popular!

ex Newquay APD does apply if you have a connecting flight.

And the bulk of those taxes are the BA surcharges not proper taxes.

• Nik says:

Is there a problem with the availability checking tools at the moment? I’m searching for LON-SEA rtn in Business Class in May 2021. Both SeatSpy and Reward Flight Finder are showing blanket availability every day, however when I check on BA.com, there’s practically nothing.
    Are others experiencing similar problems?

• Rhys says:

Yes, BA have changed the API feeds which has screwed everything up

• Ed says:

Seatspy have now put a little note on their homepage. Having emailed them about this issue a few weeks ago, I’ve found their service levels a little lacking.

You can use the ba Availability search tool which i think is accurate but won’t alert you to new availability

• MadeUpName says:

Does anyone have any experience of easyjet cancelling flights recently? It’s a broad question I know! But it looks like our BA SKG flights for September might be cancelled (other LGW only routes now seem to be on sale from LHR on ba.com). So might book easyjet to SKG or alternatively BA to kalamata and a change of hotel!

• Spursdebs says:

Yes flights to Faro cancelled refund took about 6 weeks … you have to hunt for cash refund option but it is there.

• Jimmy says:

Hello,

Does anyone have the number for you first?
    I’ve tried googling but doesn’t come up and when you go on their site though BA it’s just blank!
    Cheers

• dezbez says:

Data point. My 18 yr old son (who has recently “finished” his A-levels) has just applied and been approved for his first Amex card (free BA one). Significantly higher scores on the Amex eligibility checker today than he was a few weeks ago – all 6.5 or 7.5 today (inc. Platinum Rewards!) v 1.5-2.5.

Very grateful for more referral/earning opportunities, although one more complication to the Rewards puzzle to consider now!