The new HFP chat thread – Friday 31st July

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

Historically, the daily ‘Bits’ articles were the de facto repository for random comments and questions.  It is unlikely that the news flow will be so big over the next few weeks that we will need many ‘Bits’ articles, however.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/07/31/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-friday-31st-july/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Earn Avios points when you stay with Airbnb - 6 per £1 for first time users!
Park Hyatt drops its flagship Mallorca hotel resort - will be taken over by a local brand

Nutmeg ad

Comments

1. dragonfly says:

I tried to buy 1,000 melia rewards points to keep existing points from expiring soon. However, after I entered in credit card details (amex plat uk) i kept getting this error message “The requested URL was rejected. Please consult with your administrator.” Could someone please help me? I have used 2 different browsers and still got the same error message. the buy points offer expires today. Thanks.

• TGLoyalty says:

Tried a non Amex?

• Why use Amex? The purchase is in Euros so you’ll have to pay a foreign exchange fee.

• dragonfly says:

@TGLoyalty: I tried a non Amex card – Mastercard, still the same error message 🙁
        @Josh: it is only a small amount €5 so FX fee is minimal. I have also googled the error message and people suggested to clear out all history / browsing data. I did that, but still the same error. People also suggested that melia website might be down for maintenance? I tried to call melia shown on website for UK but got very strange noise so I hang up.

• Have you tried incognito or private browsing and going in via the spanish website melia.com/es and then use google translate?

• dragonfly says:

Thanks AJA for your suggestion. I have just tried incognito / private browsing as well as going into melia.com/es – still no luck 🙁 Same error message!

• TGLoyalty says:

I paid on my phone via curve and it worked perfectly so very odd.

Maybe try another laptop/tablet/phone?

2. Louise says:

Apologies if this is a stupid question, I know it’s been asked before but I just want to totally sure before I push the button.
    I have an extended 241 ( April 21 ) which I would like to use to book flights and then cancel them in exchange for a voucher, therefore extending it to 2022.

Will the voucher be for a 241 voucher to just anywhere in any class and the £ amount that I will pay in taxes ? So I should just book a low price flight in economy somewhere and then cancel it. Then I’m free to use it much later on for two club or first seats , by paying the difference?
    Thanks

3. pin perl says:

Hi Everyone,
    Can anyone help, regarding canceling an Avios booking for 50 pence as in the past?
    The only option I’m getting is a voucher and when calling up it’s costing me 17 pounds 50 pence?
    Thanks

• That’s correct. If you ring up BA tries to impose the full £35 cancellation fee. The £1 fee only works for online cancellations but they have been disabled since March.

4. Jason says:

Does anyone know the latest offering on board for club Europe and the terrace lounge at Heathrow thanks

• The lounge menu is pretty much still as per our menu a few weeks ago, and the Club Europe food – at least from what I saw last weekend – is also the same as in our recent article, ie the cardboard box.

Key change is that the North lounge opened yesterday.

5. Andrew says:

Hilton Honors Points with Disney

According to an email that’s just arrived from Hilton, that’s 2,000 Honors points for taking out a monthly Disney+ subscription and 4,000 for taking out an annual Disney+ subscription.

6. Nigel W says:

Quick q, does Curve work with uploading £ to HL at all?

• Worked for me last April with HSBC underlying

• TGLoyalty says:

It did but not with curve.

Had issues the other day but not tried again.

• TGLoyalty says:

Let me correct that.

It didn’t with IHG cards until Curve switched from Wirecard, it seems to for now.

Also just topped up as this reminded me and it’s working fine.

7. Secret Squirrel says:

BA0001 been axed from LCY.

8. Wally1976 says:

Can someone confirm for me please – if I apply for a supplementary Amex card for someone who lives at a different address to me, does the card get sent to their address or mine? Thanks

9. The IC Ambassador sign up/renewal offer. If the qualifying stay for the free night certificate has to be at an IC, Kimpton or Regent, is it actually going to be worth it? They seem very few and far between in the UK. Not sure I can make it work for me for a 40k free night.

• Not for a mattress run, no. It simply means you come out quits, since you’re unlikely to pay more than the £160 value of the points for the night.

I saw some very cheap rates at the new Kimpton Barcelona but I doubt you’ll be there in a hurry ….

• Probably not, though at least I wouldn’t be breaking the law if I did – unlike if I was to jump over the fence into my next door neighbour’s garden (as of last night) 🤷‍♀️

• Intercontinental Sofia has pretty cheap rates too.

I was wondering whether I could renew beginning of Nov. Then book somewhere on an old Amb weekend night certificate which, along with my membership expires, 1 Jan 21. Would that work? Technically it’s a paid stay as you pay first night.

• The problem with making an overseas booking by 31/1 is that there’s no guarantee it will go ahead and then you’re stuck with flights and/or accommodation you can’t use!

• That’s why you have Avios other miles. Amb weekend voucher is refundable too.

• Martyn Ford says:

I was at the IC Malta recently and the GM said he thought that the Sofia was the best IC in Europe.

10. Terri says:

Has anyone else had any success in confirming the revised booking offered for a LHR departure, rather than a LGW one? We want to accept but keep getting an error

11. James says:

Hello. Can someone clarify the following please

If I cancel a reward flight one way (taxes 17.50) booked for next year And chose a FTV is the voucher for the cash element and the avios put back in my Account or is it both cash and avios stuck on said voucher?

Thanks