The new HFP chat thread – Sunday 2nd August

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

Historically, the daily ‘Bits’ articles were the de facto repository for random comments and questions.  It is unlikely that the news flow will be so big over the next few weeks that we will need many ‘Bits’ articles, however.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/08/02/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-sunday-2nd-august/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Review of the Executive Lounge at Jersey Airport
Earn double Avios or Virgin miles at Esso petrol stations with a Tesco Express in August

Nutmeg ad

Comments

1. What are people’s experience of ticketing when using BA’s future travel voucher?

My partner is still not ticketed for a flight on Thursday using future travel voucher, even though ticket was purchased nearly 3 weeks ago. When we booked the agent said that it will take about a week to be ticketed. We have been calling BA since Wednesday and every time they say it’s been escalated, yet nothing materialises. I am going to call them one more time tomorrow and tell them if the ticket does not materialise by the end of the day, I do not want it. I’ll purchase a cash or avios ticket. In these times, he can’t just turn up at the airport without a ticket. Not sure what else I can do to get them to ticket him. Anyone has any other suggestions?

2. ConfusedofGlos says:

Apologies if this is in one of the general articles, but I have read on the site that if you book the two legs of an Avios redemption with BA separately in order to ensure you get availability both ways, if you ring by phone for the second leg they’ll waive the £35 amendment fee. What I’m not so clear though is if that is only if you are redeeming with a 2-4-1 voucher or if they’ll do that for any redemption. Really grateful for any experience/advice anyone can share please…

• Good question. I would assume so. Realistically, you only need to do this for North America, where the taxes on a return are lower than 2 x one-ways. To most other places the gap is smaller and two x one-ways can even be cheaper to some destinations, eg Hong Kong.

• ConfusedofGlos says:

It’s a bit of a long story, but it is a sort-of speculative booking and if I end up having to cancel for a group of four, I’d rather avoid having to pay two sets of amendment/cancellation fees!

3. Harry T says:

Bit of a long shot but does anyone know when the Moxy in York might reopen? Thinking of a weekend in York and want to clock up some Bonvoy nights. The Marriott is open but seems a little outside of the centre.

• Moxy York opened last year. A colleague of mine stayed in it in February. Think it’s just closed again temporarily till ‘after COVID’ like many of the Moxy hotels.

• I wonder if they are all shut. I was planning same at Aberdeen but the hotel appears to be closed with no sign of reopening.

4. Pthy887 says:

Hi everyone,

Am trying to dig up the forum post where I saw this but alas I have given up.

If I book an Avios ticket with BA and maximise the avios portion (say 12k avios + £0.5) to a destination in Spain, do I still incur the £35 cancellation fee should I choose to cancel?

5. Amex Shop Small: just noted that I haven’t received the £5 credit for a transaction made over two weeks ago. Checking the Saving tab, it says the offer was redeemed 18th of July, so should have been credited Anyone noticed Shop Small credit delay?

• Connor says:

Had mine for a restaurant within 2 days. Give them a bell over live chat and they should credit it.

• David Butcher says:

Most of my credits have posted within 48 hours but I used two separate cards at a lounge in town and received the confirmation emails but no £5 credits and now over a week for both. I queried this with Amex who told me that if I had the emails I will definitely get the credits and sometimes it is the retailer’s system that causes the delay. I have to say I am not at all confident that these credits will come through.

• Thanks. Live Chat is useless, insisting it may take up to 90 days as per T&Cs.

• I’ve done over 50 transactions and received emails for all of them – credits all posted within 2-3 days.

• I only did one transaction. Email received almost instantly; offer is shown as redeemed under the Savings tab two weeks ago, but no credit to my account. Very odd.

6. Crafty says:

Amusing new low from Amex online chat tonight. “I have thoroughly checked your account and there ain’t no credit balance on any other card.”