The new HFP chat thread – Sunday 2nd August

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

Historically, the daily ‘Bits’ articles were the de facto repository for random comments and questions.  It is unlikely that the news flow will be so big over the next few weeks that we will need many ‘Bits’ articles, however.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/08/02/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-sunday-2nd-august/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Review of the Executive Lounge at Jersey Airport
Earn double Avios or Virgin miles at Esso petrol stations with a Tesco Express in August

Comments

1. memesweeper says:

Top tip for BA On Business users: log in with a different browser to your BA.com account, or use incognito mode. It’s possible to get ‘locked into’ on business site now, even the click to ‘BA.com home page’ on the bottom of the On Business site eventually redirects back to On Business.

• Lady London says:

has deleting cookies anf reloading ba.com stopped working for that?

• memesweeper says:

I’d hope so but I’ve not tried yet. Advanced techniques like that should not be necessary to make a consumer facing website work.

2. Graham says:

BA are selling tickets to Faro anyone know if they have resumed flights out of City as thought they had stopped

3. Just out of curiosity has anyone won on premium bonds since it’s used heavily here?

• memesweeper says:

a few £25 wins every couple of months … no biggies 🙂

• The Urbanite says:

I’ve had a balance of £1 in there for years and haven’t won so much as a lump of coal.

• Having never bothered before, I moved some cash across recently. It is basically 1.22% return and, statistically, if you put in the full £50k then you WILL get that.

(Forget the big prizes. There is a 1 in 24,500 chance of winning £25 tax free so, assuming you invest £49,000, so you get back £50 per month. £600 / £49,000 = 1.22% tax free. Unbeatable anywhere else.)

• Spaghetti Town says:

And a good way to Earn points 🙂

• I get that you can earn points for buying premium bonds or direct saver in smaller amounts but if you have a larger amount you want buy so that you get a block of numbers, how can this be done. We are going to have around £20k to put somewhere soon so I was thinking of putting it to premium bonds. But if your daily curve limit or underlying card doesnt cover that amount then can it be done or do you have to buy the bonds in one transaction to get a running sequence of numbers to give you a better chance of winning. If that is the case then that would mean no pts earning. Does that make sense?

• Peter K says:

It’s a random draw so having a run of numbers does not improve your chance of winning. In fact the t&c’s cover the event that the same number is drawn more than once. Feel free to buy them in random amounts here and there.

• The number sequence makes no difference at all to your chances of winning.

• Crafty says:

I genuinely don’t understand the thought that must have sat behind this. Why would a sequence of numbers improve ones chance of winning in *any* random draw?

• Friends if ours have 2 blocks of £30k and they win a min of £75 every month.

• My sister received some as a Birthday gift almost 60 years ago, she has won nothing. By contrast, I probably buy one lottery ticket every few years, the one I bought last year won me £769 🙂 And, no, I haven’t bought another since.

• I’ve ramped up my savings there and I definitely get at least one prize a month on average. It seems as good a place as any at the moment.

4. Hello, preparing for a few platinum referrals: Am I correct to think that I would still receive 12k MR points per referral even though each referral has been holding a blue BA card the last 24 months?

And the referral would still receive 35k MR points after spending £4k in the first 6 months as I believe the only thing that would stop them receiving the 35k MR bonus if he/she has been holding AMEX Gold Credit Card the last 24 months.

Many thanks.

• Harry T says:

If you’re referring from the Plat, then you will receive 12k MR for every approved referral application. If your friends are being referred for the plat, they will be eligible for the bonus if they haven’t had an MR earning card for the last two years.

• Correct – although last line should be “AMEX Gold credit card or any other personal card earning Membership Rewards points”.

5. If you upgrade a BA flight with cash and then decide to take a voucher does the voucher include what you paid for the upgrade does anyone know?

• Lady London says:

voucher is basically your ticket with its existing mix of cash, avios, and vouchers (useby date extended) all frozen in a lump so Yes.

6. Two things…..

Yesterday on my Amex Offers….
    Deliveroo, Morriston and Pret a Manger spend £5 and get 250 reward points. I don’t think this has been posted already.

Also I’m going to cancel my Amex Gold card next month (month 11) to avoid the fees. What is the advice for what to replace it with? Is there a way to get sign up points with a different card?

• Don’t think there is any other card really since holding AMEX Gold Credit Card bare you from getting 35k from Plat. In my case, I am getting amex green charge card then upgrade to Plat to get 20k MR points as having some expenses coming up with home improvement.

7. Avios.com – still a member of aerclub, anyone else having “we were unable to retrieve your account details” when you try and login?

• Yorkieflyer says:

Mrs Yorkieflyer and I had this the other day. Rang Avios and a great agent sorted it. Our usernames were suddenly pointing at our closed Avios.com accounts rather than our AerClub accounts

• Yes, a bit weird as I tried to sort it out last night while looking for a flight to DUB. I think for account registered with avios. com as part of BA will be closed along with the move to BAEC account. So I just registered a new account for the aerclub really.

• ConfusedofGlos says:

I’ve had this a few times as I have a few Lloyds vouchers left that I’ve had to redeem through there. Every time you go into the account via Avios it goes awry at Aer Lingus’s end and they have to re-set/re-open it. It is a bit of a pain!

8. I’ve just seen this on the BA website, it’s a way of buying what looks like individual access to Priority Pass lounges without having a specific Priority Pass membership though I wonder if that means some BA lounges may not reopen:

Lounge Pass

Purchase a Lounge pass and enjoy access to non-British Airways airport lounges across the globe, no matter what airline you are flying with or cabin you are travelling in.

Choose from 600 non-British Airways lounges, at over 350 airports worldwide, including more than 45 in the UK

Collect 5 Avios per £1 spent, when you book on the British Airways Lounge Pass website

Pre-booking is available up to 15 months in advance*, for access to an airport VIP lounge from £13.50 per person

Enjoy light refreshments, complimentary Wi-Fi and even spa treatments in selected lounges

• ChrisC says:

I see it more as a way for people to earn avios and offer lounges to those that don’t get it via status or cabin than any sort of BA plot.

9. Having issues with paying my Amex bill with Curve. I’m just trying small amounts like £150 but each time it gives like a 5 minute timer and says I need to open the Curve app and authorise. I open the app and have clicked everywhere and don’t know what to do. Haven’t had this issue before. I’m not a heavy user of Curve at all. Please help.

• Theodore says:

Have you checked if notifications are turned on within the Curve app? You will be charged a fee for paying your amex unless you have Curve metal.

• FFoxSake says:

I’ve never been able to pay an Amex bill with Curve (but I’m only free Blue). Assume you are Metal?

• “have clicked everywhere” …

Did you go to “Account”, then “Profile” (top right) and turn “ON” the “Curve Fronted”?

I’m NOT on Metal … payment for Amex CC was all OK (as of yesterday).

KJ

• Qwertyknowsbest says:

Check that you have notifications enabled for the Curve app.

• Catman says:

This Curve verification isn’t working for me either at the moment. I click on the tap to authorise notification but when i log into the app it just shows my underlying card.

I think we may need to wait for a new version of the app….

• the_real_a says:

Curve are aware that the whole 3DS is a cluster F. They are less inclined to do anything about it… Seems to effect different handset manufacturers at different times as they update their software. Sometimes the notification does not appear, other times it appears but then just opens the app without giving you the button to press to approve.

• memesweeper says:

When it works it’s better than the 3DS alternatives IMO. They just need to add a manual way to grab/approve a transaction • if you miss the notification or it never arrives, you’re stuffed.

• Brian W says:

Reinstall the App, worked for me yesterday.

10. Samantha says:

Amex welcome offer question

Say I hit the £3k spend to get the 25k avios on the BA premium card. Then I get the bonus avios allocated to my account. And after that I don’t spend anything else on card.

However eg four months later i get a refund back onto the card for £1k of that £3k spend as a flight booking was cancelled.

Do you think Amex would try to take back the 25k bonus avios from me because of this refund? Is it possible?

Thanks

• They might do, yes. However, they cannot physically take the Avios back from BA. Your Amex account will show ‘- 25,000 Avios’ to be transferred to BA and no more will get sent across until the debt is cleared.

In such a scenario it is best to close the card and start again.

• Rahaney says:

How does this work with Amex and MR points?
        Also what happens to the cash value of the account? Does it go negative? Or can it be transferred back to your bank?
        Cheers

• TGLoyalty says:

With MR unless your points were transferred they will take the points away.

Spending the bare minimum in the period on something which could be returned/cancelled is a risky strategy if you don’t plan to close the card soon after.

• You mean the fee refund? It sits online as a credit until you tell Amex what to do. The easiest option is to move it to any other Amex card you have, but they can do a bank transfer if needed.

• Ashish says:

make sure all MR or avios are transferred before cancel the card. can use refunds to get 241 voucher or bonus points

11. Hello, has anyone been using the DragonPass lounge passes from the offer a while ago? Can they scan it twice to allow a guest in as well?

• Tried 2 weeks ago in Athens with 3 passes pre loaded on the card. Got rejected as guests not allowed. I was able to use the pre loaded dragon pass for myself but the guest had to pay for entry at the reception.

• AndyGWP says:

Similar experience when I last tried it (that was Feb admittedly)

• Secret Squirrel says:

Ihg Uk free night voucher from credit card.
          “This is a VERY valuable benefit. Your free night voucher is valid at ANY IHG property, even the top InterContinental hotels which can sell for £250+.As long as standard reward availability is available, you can use your free night voucher.”

I’ve looked up a hotel but when selecting use the U.K. free night voucher it shows N/A even though the same room can be booked using points?

• I have also seen this happen very occasionally. I have no idea why this happens and whether the call centre can override it.

• Peter K says:

The IHG card free night seems to come from a slightly different availability pot to the points availability.
            Sometimes both are there, sometimes only points bookings not reward night, sometimes reward night but not points booking, sometimes neither. Use this to your advantage if you can.