Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Thursday 6th August

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

Historically, the daily ‘Bits’ articles were the de facto repository for random comments and questions.  It is unlikely that the news flow will be so big over the next few weeks that we will need many ‘Bits’ articles, however.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/08/06/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-thursday-6th-august/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Comments (269)

• Simon says:

I have a return BA trip LHR to SJC in early October (rtn end October) and the return leg has just been cancelled. Can I cancel the whole trip for a cash refund or do I need to wait for BA to cancel the outbound?

• Rhys says:

Should be able to cancel the whole thing.

• Lady London says:

or you could request a later date to a close-by destination such as SFO, at no extra charge, as I believe BA may be cancelling SJC route?

• Chris in CA says:

I’ve just had a SJC-LHR leg and a LHR-SJC leg cancelled on two different bookings. Both were Wednesday flights, but I was able to change to the Tuesday flight, so possibly just a reduction in frequency? (Definitely not ruling out a complete cancellation soon though…)

• Anna says:

Not an immediate need but the £ seems to be worth $1.31 today if anyone wants to top up their foreign currency balance. I think it was around $1.20 last time I looked!

• LewisB says:

Just had my Vegas flights cancelled both ways from LGW in November. It’s actually a BA Holiday. One Vegas Heathrow flight remains from looking at the booking system.

• pointsarb says:

Morning all, I’m currently sitting on a £2k Trailfinders e-gift card (no expiry date) that I purchased directly from Trailfinders but have no use for in the near future. So would anyone here like to take it for the £1600 I paid for it and so get £400 off your next flight/holiday booking with Trailfinders?

My understanding is that all I need to do is call up Trailfinders and ask them to apply my gift card to your existing Trailfinders booking so you gain the benefit of a full £2k credit to your flight/holiday booking with them. If anyone here is interested then please let me know and hopefully Rob/Rhys wouldn’t mind connecting us via email please in the spirit of HFP readers helping each other out?

Hope this can help one of you but if not then no problem I’ll just hang on to it. Cheers!

• Laura_D says:

Heads up in case people hadn’t noticed – BA’s free cancellation within 24h of booking if you realised you ‘made a mistake’ is only available for travel 10 days and beyond! so no last minute speculative bookings.

• memesweeper says:

Correct — and Virgin’s similar policy isn’t available for seven days ahead of flight time last time I checked.

• Antony D'Emanuele says:

Is the BA Lounge open at Manchester Terminal 3, can not seem to find any information?

• TGLoyalty says:

Anyone tried Calm ?

Inside flyer just ran a story about Amex offering a free year

“You can now relax and unwind with a complimentary year of Premium Membership, plus receive 50% off the following year upon automatic renewal.

This offer is open to you and your Supplementary Cardmembers.

Simply sign up by 31 October 2020”

• Rob says:

Amex emailed me about it this week. I decided it wasn’t really massively relevant.

• Gary says:

I got that email too, I keep meaning to set it up but haven’t got round to it, anything free is worth a look. Have you tried it yet?

• AJA says:

I got an email from Amex about this trying to get me to sign up but it didn’t grab me enough to bother.

• Andreas says:

I’ve signed up for it. Meditation is one of those things that’ll do you some good if you practice it for a good month or two. A year free is probably long enough to get used to it and understand what the point is – after that you can probably cancel and carry on practicing unguided

• Alex says:

I’ve tried it and enjoy it, I try to use it everyday but often forget.

Girlfriend also has an account, from supplementary card, and likes the bedtime stories to help her fall asleep.

Worth a try for free

• Stanley says:

Hats off to Airbnb. Cancelled booking on Tuesday night. Received full refund on Amex this morning.