Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Saturday 8th August

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

Historically, the daily ‘Bits’ articles were the de facto repository for random comments and questions.  It is unlikely that the news flow will be so big over the next few weeks that we will need many ‘Bits’ articles, however.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/08/08/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-saturday-8th-august/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Comments (115)

• Aston100 says:

Hi there.
    Tesco Clubcard Plus:
    Does anyone know if you can cancel after using the two ‘big shops’ and then reapply again to receive a further 2 ‘big shops’, all within a few days?
    Or are you blocked for a month?
    Thanks.

• Lady London says:

depends if the scheme is limited to one per household, unless you have an additional address.

• Kipto says:

General question regarding the FTV. Is it possible to book return flights with Avios when they become available at t-355, and ring up in office hours to get the second part of the voucher added on in replace of the Avios or will you be charged a fee ?

• John says:

Tried it!

• Erico1875 says:

My rule of thumb
      If it smells rotten, then it normally is rotten

• Alan says:

Expedia – random email saying they’ve upped me from Blue to Gold through to March 2022. 30% boost in points accrual and free upgrades at VIP hotels (where points value is doubled).

• Dubious says:

Expedia.co.uk were inconsistent and not reassuring to deal with when I had a recent flight cancellation. Mixed responses from their agents, referring to a ‘cash refund‘ when it later transpired they actually meant an Expedia credit voucher, subsequently insisting this was a cash refund (when I said I wanted the cash in my bank account) and then telling me it was better as a voucher, trying to charge me for changing the flight to a new date, telling me they would calculate the remaining ticket value in 3-5 working days only to discover they never requested it from the airline….and eventually telling me to contact the airline about moving the flight date because they couldn’t get a new ‘price’ for the flight…
      In the end it got to a few days before the day of the cancelled flight and the ticketing airline resolved it by rebooking me to a new date without any fees.

My point being – don’t use Expedia – I doubt Gold will help.

• Matty says:

What’s the brand of shorts that they all wear in Chelsea? It’s bugging me. Rob mentioned it once.

• Blindman says:

Curve Cash

Can I use this to pay my IHG credit card?

Any fees if I do so?

I have basic Curve card.

• stevenhp1987 says:

No idea, if you have Curve Fronted turned off then you might as well try it – if won’t process a transaction with a Curve fee unless it’s enabled, it’ll just decline and tell you why.

• Mr. AC says:

I would really not expect any fees for that. Curve Cash seems to behave live a debit card / prepaid card balance.

• Blindman says:

My thoughts too.

• Liz says:

I used it pay my Amex bill – no fees. It’s a shame Curve is now going to refund back to original card which will claw back points. I liked having refunds paid back to Curve cash.

• Lady London says:

Can they do that if you paid with an app? I think someone said in apps get over that problem.

• Rahaney says:

Regarding Amex Plat Car Hire Rental Insurance – I’m looking at a booking and wondering does it cover all of the following –

Collision Damage Waiver – up to 0 financial responsibility
    Theft protection – is that to 50k?
    Tyre and Windscreen protection
    Interior Protection
    Roadside protection/assistance

I realise they’ll preauthorise a corresponding amount on the Plat but that’s why it’s there!
    What options do I need to cover? None?
    Cheers

• Rahaney says:

Furthermore, do your have to book via Amex travel??

• Matt says:

Not necessary to book via Amex travel.
        Afraid I don’t know exactly what’s covered, for example interiors but I’m happy to rely on it for all the important stuff. I’ve had claims eg for tyres paid no quibble, no paperwork asked for, and “instantly” on the phone.

• Secret Squirrel says:

Seatspy & Reward Flight Finder results are all incorrect on the routes I searched today in CW.
    I heard there was problems with First but not also Business?

• Anna says:

They are both terrible at the moment! I did message RFF some time ago, but didn’t get much response or an offer to refund my subscription.

• Lady London says:

That will be because they are doing mass deletions of First on routes so while datasets are locked cached (old) data is all there is?

• Secret Squirrel says:

They both display masses of incorrect data in Club world also?

• Anna says:

Yes, totally unreliable for those chasing T-355 redemptions! I got my 4 CW seats for next summer by a stroke of luck as I double checked with BA a bit earlier and they were still there – phew!

• Bill says:

Would anyone care to comment about the towns or resorts near Nice or Nice itself. I visited Nice about 20 years ago alone, but now we are a family of four – two kids 7 and 6. We would like beach & somewhere to stay that would be easily accessible by public transport. I’m familiar with our alternative destination which is Malaga / western Costa del Sol, but I noticed the flight schedule also works well for us to Nice. I realise I haven’t got much of a wish list, which is because we are fairly relaxed. We are happy to go for walks and exploring. I can drive but would prefer not to – but a drive to / from the airport would be ok (rather not drive every day). Trip would be end of August next year for a week

• Bill says:

Marseille also works ok for flight times

• Erico1875 says:

Considering the Spain/ France CV situation and potential self isolatiom on return We went to ITALY for a week. To Rimimi.
        It was great. We flew in to Bologna (althogh Ryanair also fly dirict to Rimini from STN)

• The Savage Squirrel says:

OP does say NEXT year….

Hard to suggest much without a budget. Are we talking Hotel de Cap-Eden-Roc (which would admittedly be in the right area and very nice 🙂 ) or Formule 1?

• Lady London says:

Personally with kids in tow I would have been thinking more Italy. Cote d’Azur by the coast crowded and stressful that time. As a couple I would do Eze but not really for kids.

• Lady London says:

a yacht would be best

• Lady London says:

What:s Bologna airport like to fly out of?

• RussellH says:

Only been their once, our very first flight with Airmiles, booked with paper vouichers. Remember them? Late 1980s. Between Christmas + New Year, which we spent in Florence, dodging the bangers being thrown out of upstairs windows by young children egged on by their grannies.

Airport was brilliant. The plane touched down and at the appointed place on the runway turned hard right and drew up within a couple of metres of the door into the terminal. Walked down the steps, through the door, while the immigration officer was still coming out of his office, still adjusting his jacket and hat.
            Quick glance at people’s passports / ID cards, walked another few metres to the exit door, where there was a service bus into town. Less than 10 mins from seat on plane to bus stop. If only all airports could be like that!

Sadly, I have no memories at all of the return flight.

• Michael C says:

Had a fabulous time in Nice last year with our 5-yr old. V easy to do daytrips by train. Cannes, Monaco, Ventimiglia (big Friday market), Grasse. We stayed at the Boscolo, which was lovely. The city itself is lovely to stroll around, and we all loved the Chagall museum. Easy Uber from airport.
      Highly recommendable with kids.

• Anna says:

Eurocamps have some great sites in the area with fantastic facilities for kids but you would really need a car. We spent a week near Frejus a couple of years ago and loved it, we took our 2 (then) 12 year old boys to Monte Carlo for the day and they though it was amazing! There are also plenty of historical and archaeological sites if you’re into that kind of thing. The beaches aren’t great, though we did find a nice little cove where you can hire pedalos which make for a nice afternoon. The plage du debarquement is a wide pebble beach with an interesting memorial to the allied troops who landed there in 1944 to liberate the southern half of France.

• Brighton Belle says:

25 years in the Nice area. Most beaches in the Nice area are pebbles. Villefranche has some sandy bits which is comfortable to walk on but not sand castle friendly. The 100 bus to Monaco and Menton is frequent and €1 per person if you buy a 10 Euro mult-ticket from the machines. You can put 4 people on the ticket. Bought as singles it’s €1.50.

The beach at Petite Afrique in Beaulieu has palm trees to sit in shade and is 25 mins from central Nice on the 100 bus. All locals here. Get off at Beaulieu port. Then 10 mins walk. Google will give you plenty of ideas.

The beaches in Nice are more convenient if staying there but you’ll need to find the public beaches.

Don’t bother with a taxi from the Airport. The tram is running now. Fall out of the plane and into the tram for €1 into central Nice.

The bus tickets allow a transfer within a set time limit so you can get to your destination comfortably.

• Graeme2 says:

+1 on the Cap Ferrat area generally, very pretty, laid back atmosphere. Hotel Royal Riviera is fantastic, if a bit on the pricey side.

• Annabel says:

Noticed club suite is being launched for BA LHR to HKG flights! My seat plan for re-booked February flights shows it! Looks like it’s in re-fitted 777s and starting this year. Let’s hope we can fly next year!

• Polly says:

Annabel, have you accepted a change for your flights now? We haven’t decided yet, as we are travelling around your dates also, actually the same return date. Presume it will be suites on that route. Did you get the difference back using a 241?