Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HFP chat thread – Tuesday 18th August

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

Historically, the daily ‘Bits’ articles were the de facto repository for random comments and questions.  It is unlikely that the news flow will be so big over the next few weeks that we will need many ‘Bits’ articles, however.

HFP-Wordmark-Blue

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/08/18/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-tuesday-18th-august/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HFP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Comments (93)

• Anna says:

IHG 241 offer. I may have missed it, but it looks like the half price offer doesn’t qualify for the usual benefits. I had 2 rooms for 2 nights for cash at the Newcastle Indigo last weekend, one night is marked as “pending” in my account and one is marked as “non-qualifying stay” which I’ve only seen before on award night bookings. Has anyone else had this?

• Kai says:

Typical IHG glitch, submitting a claim should sort it out.

• E says:

Is there still a thing with IHG that if your rate is something like 30% less than their best available room rate, you don’t get points? Seem to remember that from when I stayed with them on corporate rates years ago.

• N says:

Any recommendations for restaurants in Edinburgh?

We’re not the 7-courses-of-bite-sized-plates-for-£300pp types, we’d much rather wholesome food cooked well. It’s for a wedding anniversary and dishoom (our first choice) is fully booked….

• Vit says:

One of my favourites is The Mussel and Steak Bar! Great overall!

• Chris says:

Little Chartroom or Aizle

• Darren Morrison says:

The Kitchin, it is on the high side but not titchy portions

• Peggers says:

Have a look at some of these. All have good pedigree/reviews and are priced differently. Depends what you want;
      The Lookout, Aizle at the Kimpton hotel, Little Chartroom, Fhior, Le Rio Fou, Grazing by Mark Greenaway at the WA Caledonian hotel, Martin Wishart at the Shore, The Kitchen, 21212 , Stockbridge Restaurant, Field & lastly Taisteal.

Good luck and enjoy.

• Michael says:

I’ve yet to have a bad meal in Ondine. Fabulous food in relaxed surroundings with terrific views across Victoria Street or George IV Bridge.

• MinR says:

Has the Amex Platinum Referral changed to 18k points again? The offers tab has it at 12k but changes to 18k when it redirects you to the referral page.

• Vit says:

Crap! I am just missing out 6k! Urghhh! And now all of my MR point just disappeared from my Plat account after trying to merged with PRGC. AMEX IT at its best!

• Alekun says:

I recently achieved the 241 £10k spend via the BAPP, currently utilising the extra 2 points per £ spend in Tesco to pay for bills via paypoint payment making it 3.5 points per £.
    Just like to know what should I do once the above offer in Sept ends in regards to downgrading/cancelling the BAPP. My renewal date to start spending towards a new 241 is in Nov.

Do I apply for another card or move down to the free BA card? Also do I need to keep the BA card to claim the 241 voucher – I am looking to use it late 2021 before the young one turns 2? is there a article on using a 241 voucher with a baby would be very useful to read and understand?

• Anna says:

Alekun – if your BAPP year re-starts in November, it’s not really worth downgrading for 2 months. Another option would be to cancel it and apply for a new one when you’re ready, you won’t lose your companion voucher.
      2 4 1 and a baby – I think I’ve seen people on here say you make your booking for the 2 main travellers and then call BA who will add the infant’s details to your booking. (I realise that nobody wants to hear that they need to call BA just now … !)

• Anna says:

Though re the first point – you could downgrade to the free card until you’re approaching the £10k spend but you only get 1 avios per £1 spend on the free card, and I find the offers don’t tend to be as good. I do all my BA spend on my BAPP so value the 3 avios per £1 I get for that.

• Anna says:

@Harry T – think my post was one which has disappeared into the ether! Thanks for the heads up re Lululemon , I have the offer on 3 cards, including one which is in negative avios! I’m not one for £80 yoga pants but I got a nice backpack and another travel bag in their discounted section which handily came to £103. Now just need to be able to take them somewhere … !

• Harry T says:

Hi Anna, I did see your comment earlier, but could not respond whilst the website was being updated. I’m glad you found a use for the offer. My girlfriend does swear by those £80 leggings though! Hopefully you’ll find a use for your new travel baggage soon!

• Louise K says:

I know what you mean about £80 yoga pants, but they are the best.

I also like their on-the-fly trousers for travelling. Very comfortable and look quite stylish. Found mine half price in the we bought too much section.

• TonyG says:

Hi everyone!
    Could anyone advise on the best business account for any sort of rewards, points or perks? I am discussing the actual account not business credit cards.
    Many thanks.
    TG

• Connor says:

There isn’t many to be honest. I use Monzo Business Plus and they offer Xero free for 6 months, Expensify free for 3 months, £120 Google Ads credit, Free Square Reader + £1000 worth of processing (easy MS)

• AndyK says:

Any experience getting a refund for cancelled flights with LOT?
    Got a confirmation that I’m in a refund queue without any date indication

• Anna says:

It’s being reported on the North West news that someone in the Isle of Man has been sentenced to 6 weeks in prison for breaking quarantine! Though from what I’ve heard about the island, they do seem to be pretty strict generally when it comes to law enforcement!