Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The new HfP chat thread – Friday 21st August

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points during the coronavirus outbreak.

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.  At this tricky time, and given that many of you are at home, we want the HFP community to have a place to chat.

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/08/21/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-friday-21st-august/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (181)

• Chrisasaurus says:

Anyone read the piece in la Figaro reference Accor discussing a merger with IHG (or weighing up the values of the idea)

• Andrew says:

Having 50 brands between them does seem a slightly ridiculous situation. Business Traveller saying that it could represent monopoly issues too. Probably won’t happen – but helps both their share prices to speculate.

• Ammar says:

Have a room only booking at innside manchester, when booking in the app, it said you get 2000 Meliá points to spend in the hotel…worth around 10 euros. Anyone ever used it for breakfast? I think breakfast is 10 pounds so wondering if it can be used against that?

• Kai says:

From my experience it can be used against anything

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Yes, stayed there and it was room credit to use as you please; although I think I got a straight £10 rather than any Euro conversion.
      Breakfast was a fairly good buffet a year or so ago – not the worst use of £10 credit at all; obviously no idea how it is now.

• Sukes says:

In Plaza Premium dep lounge in LHR T5 today, it reopened yesterday which pleased me as aspire didn’t look aspiring. Fewer than 10 people in the lounge. Entry as normal ie no temp checks. 3 hot food options (rice + 3 bean chilli, ratatouille, and a v gd Thai chicken curry) which are served to you at the buffet counter. Potato salad, beetroot salad and fruit salad prepackaged in pots also available that again server has to handle. Cheese also available. No sign of desserts, biscuits, peanuts etc although may be available on request. Coffee machines available for own use. Drinks can be picked up at bar or they will bring to table. Staff v attentive to clean tables and they are all wearing visors. Prob more staff than guests in the lounge at the mo.

• Gavin says:

Upgraded to Club Europe (Aka gin and tonic class); when I got to the lounge in PFO it was shut. A long wait between check out of the hotel and the flight so that was a major justification – any thoughts? I’m guessing trying to get some avios refund on a call is the best bet?

• Andrew says:

In normal times they would give you 5,000 avios – I had a CE flight with no food loaded due to a delay, got 5,000 – seems to be the standard compensation. 10,000 for a more severe situation or repeated issue. These days though they will probably just play the Covid card and you’ll get nothing. But worth sending an email.

• Wing it one world says:

I went to Tirana for the weekend back in March and they had just gone in to lock down and all eateries were closed. BA response was tough we got you home that’s all we are obliged to do, just what you like to here,. To be fair the service was shocking and quite frankly their attitude was – we could not give a dam. Good luck you might get a nicer customer service agent.

• Andrew says:

Can I used my IHG points to book a room for someone else (I won’t be staying at the hotel)?

• Chrisasaurus says:

Depends where.

Technically, yes but it isn’t allowed. If it’s overseas and they require sight of a passport you might come unstuck

• meta says:

This is how it worked for me a few years ago. I booked a room on points for my parents. Added my mum as additional guest during booking online. Then I emailed the hotel and they made a note I won’t be staying. I naturally didn’t receive any stay credit, welcome points nor did my parents benefit from my status (Platinum or Gold at the time, I can’t remember). I wasn’t bothered by that.

As long as hotel agrees, you’ll be fine. I suggest you call/email the hotel and enquire after you made a booking. You can always cancel if they don’t allow it.

• Genghis says:

The call centre have specifically done this for me. No specific reference saying it’s permitted but clause 51 in T&Cs notes what must be done if doing this inter alia in China, so must be otherwise permitted.

• David Birkbeck says:

About IHG: anybody heard what’s happening to the planned IHG redemptions at Mr & Mrs Smith-curated hotels? Some of the Mr&MrsS hotels have been appearing in my IHG searches tagged with ‘Availability Coming Soon’ since late winter and it’s fast approaching a year since the link up was announced.

• Vit says:

Anyone know a way to turn BA FTV into an e-voucher?

I’ve got 3 separated FTVs and got an email from BA stating that I can turn these FTVs into a single e-voucher as steps shown below:

How it works
    1. Reapply using our application form
    2. Opt-in for a single eVoucher
    3. Submit your application
    4. We’ll send you a new single eVoucher by email

They have also attached “Application Form” button to click in the email but every time I click, it just let me to a normal BA booking page. I tried with different browser as well but still not working!

Much appreciated any advice on this as I am keen to have a single e-voucher instead.

• DJ says:

Looking for a weekend stay in Birmingham, which IHG branded hotel would you recommend? Thanks