Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Monday 31st August

Links on Head for Points may pay us an affiliate commission. A list of partners is here.

We have decided to run this daily chat thread on Head for Points during the coronavirus outbreak.

Historically, the daily ‘Bits’ articles were the de facto repository for random comments and questions.  With the news flow being lighter, we are running fewer ‘Bits’ articles.

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.  At this tricky time, and given that many of you are at home, we want the HfP community to have a place to chat.

HFP-Wordmark-Black

Please only comment under the main articles on the site if your comment is directly related to the topic of the article.  This has long-term benefits as it keeps the commentary relevant for people who read those articles in the future.

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/08/31/the-hfp-chat-thread-monday-31st-august/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HfP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Comments (142)

  • ee says:

    Just noticed there was no 5am email today and can’t see an article that would have related to it? Have we been short changed today? 🙂

  • Grimz says:

    I tried to withdraw £200 a ATM yesterday with my CURVE card linked to my Virgin CC and it said insufficient funds. Does anyone know if withdrawing money and paying off Amex has been stopped by CURVE?

    • Ja says:

      I have withdrawn cash in the last week using curve linked to IHG/Creation and I had no problems.

      • Chris K says:

        Ditto, withdrew 200 with ihg via crv yesterday without issue. Must be a virgin issue.

        • Jonathan says:

          See comment above about Ernie being blocked via Curve. Golden Goose been slaughtered after over exposure?

          • luckyjim says:

            They cracked the ‘Ernie’ code? How?
            Lets hope ‘Brighton’ doesn’t figure it out.

          • Nick_C says:

            People in Brighton and Victoria read these threads daily, have a good laugh, and occasionally plug the loopholes. We know that Curve have followed threads and replied to them when Rob has promoted them in the past.

          • ankomonkey says:

            🙂

    • venturelog says:

      I withdrew a small amount last week using Curve\V and had no issues.
      You sure you haven’t maxed your CC limit?

    • Rahaney says:

      No problem with using curve & seagulls or Ernie via curve to V – both worked fine for me today. (I’m metal)

  • Tommie says:

    Any advice on why I may be being rejected for a BA Amex Premier card or if possible to appeal?

    I have been an Amex Platinum member for 5+ years. Spending on average 1500GBP a month on the card. No payment issues and a good credit rating on both Experian and Equifax. Last few months have had Zero offers on a platinum amex card and not using any of the benefits like many.

    Have tried to apply for several Amex cards past few weeks (BA Premier/Basic, Amex Gold and Amex Green) and all are getting rejected despite having done the eligibility check prior to apply.

    Is it worth speaking to AMEX about this or give it 6 months and then try again?

    Appreciate any advice!

    • Young L says:

      If your are rejected at the point of online application, it might be IT error. Call to complain.

    • Jonathan says:

      “ Have tried to apply for several Amex cards past few weeks (BA Premier/Basic, Amex Gold and Amex Green)”

      This won’t help! If you get rejected for 1 Amex then highly unlikely to get approval for a different one so try calling to ask why before applying for more. Note that they’re under no obligation to tell you why they rejected though.

      Multiple applications in a short period also won’t look good on your credit report. Probably worth checking your credit report via one of the many free online services to make sure there’s nothing suspicious or incorrect as well.

      • Lady London says:

        If they perceive some difficulty you could try offering to split existing credit limit over new and existing card

      • Genghis says:

        Note that the application runs via Amex’s own systems first before a credit file “pull”. If it rejects at the internal level, it doesn’t do a search.

  • ATW says:

    Can the TV licence be paid by Amex in-store via Paypoint? I cannot recall if this option has recently stopped or not. I know certain stores with Paypoint facilities accept Amex, e.g Tesco Express, Shell. Thanks

  • Brian says:

    Re the new Hilton promotion, just to double check, do reward stays qualify for double night credits? Thanks

  • Jonathan says:

    Apparently not since MCC pass through turned on.

    • Steve says:

      Is this a general issue (recent?) or Santander specific? Still seems to be working fine on IHG last time I tried a few weeks ago

  • William Dore says:

    Apologies if this question has been asked before. I have a BA Holiday booked for 7 Oct, 2 weeks in the Pacific Northwest, (flight and car only). So far I have only paid the 10% deposit. As I booked the trip in January, it appears BA’s standard T&C’s still apply, meaning if I don’t pay the balance I forfeit the deposit. Which does seem rather ludicrous, considering their policy from 3 March, i.e.”if you booked when you had no knowledge of the virus, tough, but if you booked when you knew of the issue, here’s your money back”.

    Ideally we would prefer to go, but as the US remains closed, and FO advice is don’t travel, it seems extremely unlikely we can. It’s not changing in the next 2 weeks.

    Any advice?

    • Lady London says:

      Do you have insurance youc could claim on. The FCO advice make claims possible.

      Otherwise call and ask to change date, say nothing and pay a change fee only if they bring it up.

      Yo could also wait till 3 days or o before the fight just in case there’s any cancelation or significant rescheduling in which case reboot or refund should
      be free.

      If your flight is showing available on iag cargo website Rob said this is one way to know it’s probably not going to get cancelled.

      • William Dore says:

        Thanks for replying. I do have an annual travel policy, so should be able to make a claim. But do feel BA should be dealing with this. Seems ridiculous to offer free changes to people who booked when they knew the situation, but not to people who booked earlier.

        The flight is to SEA, according to Google Flights they are currently running 1 flight per week, however this is changing 1 October to daily. Appears highly optimistic.

        I can’t wait to 3 days out, because I would need to pay £3K balance 3 weeks out, which I’m very reluctant to do if the only option becomes another FTV (already have one from a May holiday that got cancelled).

        Dilemma. BA need to update their policy asap.

        • Lady London says:

          Good that you have a travel policy.

          Talk to BA nicely as I suggested ahead of deposit being due then

          I think you have an excellent chance of flight cancellation if it’s not a cargo flight but I wouldnt want to pay the £3k either.

          Id call a couple of days before £3k due and ask to convert my deposit to a voucher. Keep your mouth shut and let them comment if booking date restricts you. If that is refused try to push the date as far forward as possible, pay change fee only if asked.

          If you’re not getting anywhere claim on your insurance due FCO advice.

          • Lady London says:

            PS will they accept your other FTV as deposit payment? this might get it all into one, and buy you time to get close enough to the flight date for BA to get around to cancelling.

          • William Dore says:

            Thanks for the advice. Appears this is a cargo flight so unlikely to be cancelled.

        • Jonathan says:

          BA’s policy makes perfect sense to be fair to them. You booked a non-refundable ticket in January at which point any sane person would ensure they had travel insurance to cover unforeseen events.

          People who booked from March onwards did so in the face of a known pandemic & therefore the likelihood travel insurance would be invalidated or unavailable. In the absence of BA offering flexibility no one would make new bookings & income would dry up.

          If they extended the Book With Confidence policy to you they’d just be taking the financial hit on behalf of your insurer!

          • William Dore says:

            Fair enough. So why do they cover people who booked prior to 3 March up to 30 September?

          • Doug M says:

            If you mean after 3rd March all airlines had to offer some sort of confidence guarantee to get people to book. Prior to that they leave you at the mercy of the ticket conditions. Commercially makes sense.

          • William Dore says:

            No. I said bookings prior to 3 March. Jonathan thinks BA’s policy is fair, i.e. if I booked in January my travel insurance should cover me. My point is, if that is the case why are they allowing people who booked prior to 3 March, and whose travel is prior to 30 Sep, to change FOC, but those who are travelling early October appear to have no case?

          • Jonathan says:

            Because there’s a high chance the flight won’t happen & they’d prefer you to take a voucher/change date than refund you cash or reroute you!

          • William Dore says:

            you’ve lost me (!)

          • Lady London says:

            what @Jonathan and @Doug M said.

            Please let us know what happens on this

  • Steve R says:

    Can you convert an RFS booking to a cash booking without a charge? Have a booking for next Easter, which is usually a no brainer, for using Avios. Cash price has plummeted

    • Lady London says:

      they dont convert. move or cancel the rfs – you lose either the cash you paid or 17.50 /Y 35.00 /C.

      then rebook the date you want to travel as new cash booking

    • Andrew says:

      Depending on when you booked you can cancel RFS for a future travel voucher and avoid the fee and then pay for the cash ticket with the cash element of the voucher.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.