Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Wednesday 9th September

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/09/09/the-hfp-chat-thread-wednesday-9th-september/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (193)

• Lady London says:

OT for book lovers someone asked a question a day or two ago about what is MS which led to ML comments. Someone also commented about Malaysia and Goldman Sachs and Wall Street film having been sponsored by MS money?

Today Amazon has the book about that – I think – it matches the description and has fantastic re views – on special offer £1.99. Today only “Billion Dollar Whale” is its title.

• guesswho2000 says:

The 1Malaysia Development Berhad scandal, it’s interesting reading.

• Steve says:

I must’ve missed that debate, what is MS? Or are we not allowed to say?

• Lady London says:

Forgot to say, Rob has an Amazon link on this site! Book is Kindle though, perhaps not particularly high value but every little helps to keep this wonderful site going.

• MrHandBaggageOnly says:

I was looking for the Amazon link today, but couldn’t find it. Does it still exist?

• Lady London says:

just go in Kindle books and search title.
          I got it on the Daily Deals newsletter for Kindle (which I gave up for a while, but have started again)

• Rob says:

We took it off the sidebar because, after a recent gut of commission rates, it didn’t justify the space.

The faff way to find it is to click the ‘disclaimer’ link at the top of each article and scroll down that page until you get to our partner list, then click on Amazon.

I accept 99% won’t want to do this 🙂

Link is here: https://www.headforpoints.com/hfp/amazon

• Seen8 says:

Very random question for you HFP veterans……….

Whatever happened to our dearest chum Shoestring? Were his misguided omens of C19 and the subsequent hounding of him enough to eject him from the premises? I have suspicions he goes under a new Avatar these days, but will reserve my initial guess.

• Harry T says:

I think he was banned for allegedly trolling.

• Aston100 says:

There was no alleged about it.

• Harry T says:

I’m being diplomatic to avoid an inflammatory debate.

• TGLoyalty says:

He also had some pretty terrible personal abuse sent his way. No excuses but based upon what was said in the past he was clearly the type to react.

Either way miss the chat and the great tips.

• Seen8 says:

How do you “ban” someone on HFP? Just bypass it by creating a new avatar with a “+1”?

• Connor says:

I’d imagine an IP ban, which would stop you accessing the whole website.

• Aston100 says:

Probably something to do with an IP address. Easily circumvented with a VPN of course.

• Mart says:

Who takes comments on a blog seriously ,I found some of his information useful and dare I say it funny ,yes he was wrong on covid but who was right?
            Couldn’t care less if his on here ,if he is bet he keeps his head down😏

• Charlieface says:

I doubt he was banned because of the Covid debate, admittedly he did get attacked for that heavily

• Rob says:

Racism
            Homophobic comments
            Threats against other posters and HfP staff

• BSI1978 says:

Wow – SS wouldn’t have the first to have made fairly obvious racist comments but genuinely hadn’t read the threats against other posters and staff. Obviously didn’t know or had even met the fella but took his initial missives as harmless (& yes sometimes goading). Why threaten someone from the safety of one’s keyboard – how sad! Must have been boring out “in his little place by the sun” sipping his various concoctions.

• BJ says:

We should not forget the very good and positive contributions Shoestring made to this site. Based on his own comments, I always felt that the negative comments were just ‘drink talking’ and as such there was a need to show him compassion and patience. I think it was clear to most of us regular contributors that Rob exhibited an abundance of both but that ultimately there was only so much he could tolerate before acting on it. It is for Rob to decide what is appropriate or not on his blig, and if or when he lifts restrictions on Shoestring. I feel the rest of us just need to let it go now, it is ill-befitting us all to discuss Shoestring or any other contributors in this manner.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Wow, I missed that (I’ll assume it was quickly moderated.)
            Rob has always seemed like an employer that looks after his staff … therefore I’m assuming that: threats against your staff = complete ban forever. And quite right too – well done.

• Harry T says:

Couldn’t agree more, @BJ.

• Secret Squirrel says:

If you were up early then some days the comments were outragious towards Rhys & Anika & Rob.
            I still think his username was hijacked.

• Rob says:

No. We see the email linked to them.

• Navara says:

Missed that

• ChrisBCN says:

A belated thanks from me for banning someone where you saw those things happening.

• Phil says:

It is absolutely idiotic to ban people by IP address and a waste of tome as you say if one has a dynamic then the ban will be transferred to someone else if the banned person obtains another

• marcw says:

Not the first time it happens that he gets banned. Rob mentioned in an earlier comment (another day) he was (mainly) banned to his unacceptable sexist, racist and homophobic comments.

• Lady London says:

There are legal issues potentially also if an site does not at least have some ability set up to react should a pattern of comments develop that could offend against various statutes if the same comments arose in real life.

UK law is luckily not heavy handed on this at the moment but if a consistency develops then the point is eventually reached when a site owner would best be seen to take some action.

Guessing this has something to do with vicarious liability – someone like @Sukes will know.

• Freddy says:

I order ALOT from Amazon for business purposes. Today when making a purchase I selected my BAPP AMEX at the checkout but it was renamed as “Amazon Business American Express Card”. I think it normally just says American express. I googled this and it’s a amex card released in the US. Might be a new product incoming here?!

• Keith says:

Anyone got a referral link for MetroBank?

• Lady London says:

register at http://www.metrobankinvite.co.uk/referafriend and enter invite code 2CGV4719

Tx

• Jack says:

Damn it, I just opened an account a few weeks ago with them. I didn’t even know they had referrals!

• Lady London says:

new thing. only saw it a few days ago. £50 each and I think you have to put £500 in in the first month or something (I dont usually bother with such things so did not read it closely.

I have found Metro very nice people to deal with, really excellent opening hours
        including of bricks & mortar branches. I would recommend them however they do make the occasional outright mistake and make sure anything you agree with them is documented as due to their expansion they seem to have a lot of untrained staff that have to catch up on knowledge and follow-through.

• Boi says:

can I make a BACS transfer from creation?

• Simon (previously Avatar de Scoob) says:

Would anyone know if Marriott Travel package hotel certificates can still be extended (as they once were, fairly easily, pre-merger)? I am considering pulling the trigger on one, you see, but given these certificates are only good for 12 months, then I wondered if anyone knew if it was still possible to extend the expiry on these with reasonable ease? Many thanks in advance.

• ankomonkey says:

There’s a Flyertalk thread on this topic that gets comments fairly regularly. It seems like extending them or upgrading them is very difficult compared to the past.

• Matthew says:

Looking for tips for a one night midweek stay next week at a high end country hotel for a milestone birthday. Budget £300ish or points for one night. Within 2hrs of Cambridge and not London! Many thanks 👍 (Looked at The Langley but not open till Nov it seems)

• Harry T says:

I appreciate that it’s not a country place but I enjoyed the University Arms in Cambridge and £300 would go a long way there at the moment. But it sounds like you may live there!

• Matthew says:

Yes live very close and been there a few times. Very enjoyable stays but wanted to try somewhere new this time. Thanks though…

• Matthew says:

Thank you all for your replies…will check out the suggestions. Much appreciated 👍

• Ken says:

I haven’t been but a friend raved on “The Pig, Bridge Place” near Canterbury.
      No points I’m afraid.

• Alex M says:

Tilney Hall is excellent.

• TGLoyalty says:

Have you checked the SLH properties? Unfortunately I don’t know which are open right now but they have some great reviews. And an amex offer aswell.

The Eastbourne hotel for example was reviewed here and looked pretty decent.

Couple in Broadway are well reviewed and it’s a nice little village.

• dezbez says:

@Matthew. Have a look at this place in rural Notts (about 15 miles from Nottingham itself). I haven’t stayed there, so can only comment on the food which is outstanding, but do know people who have stayed and it comes highly recommended. Paul Smith has regularly made use of it over the years.

• Lady London says:

What about Coombe Manor? not sure how old you are, what your interests are, etc., but I gather it’s very restful

• Matthew says:

Thanks will check it out. My wife was recently 40….and I’m still hanging on to my 30’s but that’ll change in 2022 😬

• Lady London says:

or anywhere from Stansted, whuch you’re right on the doorstep of.

Unbria, Tuscany iften great food, weather, driving late Sept,
        Wonderful memories of driving between vineyards tasting in Burgundy in the hot sun right before the harvest, some very nice chateaus etc to stay in esp around Dijon.

• dezbez says: