Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Friday 11th September

HFP-Wordmark-Black

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/09/11/the-hfp-chat-thread-friday-11th-september/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Comments (135)

• Suzanne says:

Do you think it’s worth getting the BAPP now (given the state of travel at the moment)? I’ve just cancelled my Amex Gold (after the free first year) and am just struggling to decide what is the best card to go on to from here… (it seems like a waste putting all this spending on the free Amex MR card or the Amex cashback).

If I knew I would be travelling regularly, I would have no doubt getting the BAPP, but now I’m wondering what is the best course of action here?

• Anna says:

I cancelled my BAPP today and am going to have a 24 month break (if it still exists by then!) Interim spend will go on OH’s BAPP. We won’t need 2 companion vouchers next year so I may as well wait for another sign up bonus – all this year’s travel has been moved to next year, and there’s still no guarantee any of it will go ahead!
      It depends on your individual circumstances though.

• Erico1875 says:

for me there is plenty value still in the 2 4 1 even on short haul.
        On my recently booked trip EDI -LHR-LCA Club Europe 49K Avios
        There and back we will probably consume the RFS cost (£175) on food and champers between lounges and inflight.
        Low cost flights would have been £400 + bagage + without any F+B
        We also get the middle seat free which would be another £200

• Peter K says:

The answer is personal to you. A cashback card is not a bad option as it’s real money at the end of the day.

With the BAPP you need to be thinking about your travel up to 24 months plus the time to hit the £10k spend target in the future. Let’s say you hit the target in 6 months, that takes you to march 2021, you then have 2yrs to take your flights. So you need to think if you’ll take a flight using it by march 2023.

• Erico1875 says:

There is just nothing sexy about either 1% or 0.5% cashback.
        With Avios and Points – IT IS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT.
        ie . Melia are seling points at £3.30 per 1000. There are serious arbitrage opportunities where buying points (40% discount) equates to HALF PRICE compared to cash rates .

• Spaghetti Town says:

Would someone be able to help please?

I recently created a LTD company – but start buying stuff for my new business a couple of months ago as I wasn’t sure to do sole trader or LTD company at that point.

I bought a load of bits on my credit card over the last few months, can I now expense this back to my LTD company even though it was only created last week?

• Mike says:

Third day running I’m unable to topup Starling & Monese with my Curve linked to HH BC. I confirm in the app and it says declined in Starling/Monese. No issues with other payments with Curve.

I wonder if BC are blocking the MCC?

Revolut works fine directly with HH BC. I haven’t tried Curve on Rev because I thought the new MCC passthrough could be an issue?

• Nigel W says:

A quick question, how have people found the chargeback system via Curve Card? I’m probably going to have to apply for one but wanted to find out people’ experiences before proceeding.