Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The HfP chat thread – Saturday 12th September

Links on Head for Points may pay us an affiliate commission. A list of partners is here.

We have decided to run this daily chat thread on Head for Points during the coronavirus outbreak.

Historically, the daily ‘Bits’ articles were the de facto repository for random comments and questions.  With the news flow being lighter, we are running fewer ‘Bits’ articles.

The comments under this article are where you should post questions about travel and, indeed, anything else on your mind.  At this tricky time, and given that many of you are at home, we want the HfP community to have a place to chat.


Please only comment under the main articles on the site if your comment is directly related to the topic of the article.  This has long-term benefits as it keeps the commentary relevant for people who read those articles in the future.

By default, HfP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here:  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Old chat threads are hidden from the HfP home page.  If you want to look for something in an old thread, click here.  This brings up all the articles in our ‘General’ category which includes the chat threads.

Comments (82)

  • YC says:

    Upcoming marriott stay at Domes Miramare (completion before end sept). Hotel has emailed me insisting the cancellation terms is 7days before arrival but my understanding was Marriott has a global policy of 24hrs before arrival for stays before end sept. Hotel claims they are a resort and so eligible to set their own terms. Any thoughts on what the actual policy is and if I have a leg to stand on if I cancel inside 7 days?

    • Lady London says:

      I’d cancel them now if this is the way things are shaping.

      There was another case on here where a Greek hotel refused to refund based on a peak period exemption from global brand covid refund policy. The peak period in question being a whole 6 months and probably the hotel’s entire normal opening period.

      It seems a lot of European hoteliers are taking every opportunity they can to claim 1970’s-style package holiday rules apply.

      Safer to cancel and get out now. can also let Marriott jnow that this hotels refusal to honour their policies is what led you to cancel when actually you were still hoping to use the booking but due to no longer trusting the hotel you decided to cancel.

    • Harry T says:

      Double check Marriott T&Cs to see what they say about resorts and local policy. From what I’ve seen on flyertalk, you won’t get your money back from the hotel and Marriott probably won’t back you up. It will probably help if you have decent status and paid on Amex, as status allows you to presumably get better service and Amex are brilliant for chargebacks. However, it’s not a cut and dry chargeback either.

      • Harry T says:

        If you are thinking of not going, personally I would cancel before the seven day window. You may eventually win a battle over the precise applicable terms and conditions but it’s probably not worth the hassle.

        On a related note, I understand the business practicalities and wanting to make money during covid, but it annoys me when hotels don’t offer a truly best flexible rate (cancel day before).

        • YC says:

          I still would like to go but as we know, things can change drastically in 7 days and the Marriott policy was favourable. I did call the marriott plat line last week who confirm verbally the 24hr cancellation. Do you think if I could get Marriott to confirm this via email – this will save me in case I decide not to go?

          • Harry T says:

            Something in writing from Marriott would probably help but I suspect you’d still have a hard time getting any money back.

    • Rob says:

      Marriott’s official wording is weak, giving hotels a get-out. Don’t rely on it.

      Cancel 7 days out. Room unlikely to be resold so potential to rebook.

      • YC says:

        Thanks all – good info from all as per usual. Will mostly do Rob’s suggestion and avoid unnecessary calls/arguments with Marriott/Greek hotels. Side note – Interesting proposal from the hotel on voluntary covid testing – 300euro credit if u show negative pcr test on arrival (min 5nights stay)

        • Sukes says:

          If rebooking try code EZR for room upgrade and EUR50 credit daily. If you have Amex card you may have spend £200 receive £50 cash back offer on selected Marriott hotels but will get hit by 2.99% FX fee.

        • Paul says:

          This is per room not per person

      • Harry T says:

        Rob is right. You’re highly unlikely to find the hotel is booked out, and rates shouldn’t be that much different a couple of days out vs seven days out.

    • Tim Rogers says:

      What dates are you due to be there? I’m also staying before the end of the month – currently planning to go unless it becomes impossible (e.g. Greek rules change).

      • YC says:

        21-25. Are u planning on booking as last minute as possible given their 7 day cancellation? Don’t think it’s worth the risk of losing the whole cost of the stay. Worst case it’s sold out, will just enjoy the UK!

    • Paul says:

      Stayed at miramare last month. Not a great resort. Rooms are 3 star not 5 star. Were people complaining all the time about things generally not being 5 star. Nowhere near the level of domes of elounda.

  • FrenchLondoner says:

    Anyone with recent experience of BA CityFlyer Economy? Have they stopped serving alcohol (in particular Gin)? Thank you 😉

  • Erico1875 says:

    Just bought 173K Melia points for £560 (inc 40% bonus).
    That was enough to book 4 nights Half Board at Gran Melia Don Pepe in Marbella. Cash price was around a grand so a real bargain

    • Sina says:

      Not sure if their app is working reliably? I’ve booked fully flexible (Gran Melia Palacio de Isora) for £832 next year, but with points i’m qouted 425K melia points?! This is the only time when I’ve booked truly flexible with Melia as I’ve read here how sneaky they are with cancellations!

  • ian_h says:

    Amex Bonus Confusion!

    I havent had ANY Amex issued Amex card for the past 2 + years so following the new rules have just started my jorney back with the Marriott Bonvoy Amex.

    I understand that it doesnt really matter in which order I do BA PP & Amex Plat and so BA is likely my next application once a few months have passed.

    My confusion is this though, whilst the Amex Plat is one of the cards I will no doubt end up with I have a small business (Ltd Co) and so the Amex Plat Business Card may be a possibility.

    I just dont understand how getting this would fit into the Bonus strategy – anyone help / got any experience please?


    • Harry T says:

      I believe your entitlement to a bonus on the business Platinum is only affected by previous business card accounts, not personal cards. Plus you can also requify for a business bonus six months after last closing your business card.

      • Harry T says:


      • Rob says:

        No. Business Platinum looks at ALL Membership Rewards cards.

        Personal Platinum only looks at Personal cards, so having a Business Plat whilst waiting for your 24 months on Personal Plat to come around works.

    • Rob says:

      Business Plat needs to be before Personal Plat, because Business Plat looks at Personal, whilst Personal Plat does not look back at Business.

  • Keith says:

    Hilton – if you book using the part points part cash, do you earn points on the cash portion?

  • Darren says:

    SLH Amex offer, anyone used this on a prepaid rate? Trying to stack it with a 3for2.

  • Steve says:

    Idly checking the BA app I see that my LHR-CTN booking on 20 Sep has status “Rerouted ”
    Clicking the info button gives the message:

    Sorry route has changed.
    If you’re travelling on this flight and need info please contact rep at the airport.

    This seems to be leaving it rather late for what could presumably be a major change? Or is it likely to be minor.

    Should I clarify beforehand

    FWIW this is part of a BA holiday booked pre-plague and has already undergone changes from LGW and a rearranged incoming flight date


    • Lady London says:

      Why did you not use the previous change to get the whole thing refunded? I a definitely not going to wait till the airport to sort this out.

      Is this Catania or Australia ???

      Please find out what’s going on, make your decision and let us know.

      • Steve says:

        Called up and told it referred to the switch from LGW so false alarm, really

        Yes, it’s to Catania.

  • Ed E says:

    Has anyone else seen the post on FB referencing what looks like a 2016 article?

    • Rob says:

      Sorry, IT error – I am tidying up some old articles where the new site has broken the formatting and this one got republished by mistake!

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.